Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught myself (with the help of the great manual and videos) how to play this game and decided to introduce it to 3 other players recently.

My approach was to use the two training decks - have two of them play hands up (without explaining the rules) and playing through a good part of the game while explaining the cards, actions, combat, etc. After several rounds they seemed to be grasping it enough that I handed them their card sorters and everyone started to make decks.

I'm happy to report that it played fairly smoothly and quickly with 4 players.

We all had very similar decks - with a mishmash of properties, face cards, and political cards - I think we all wanted to be flexible.

Play proceeded in what I feel was a very common way - placing castles, lands, market towns, and lords. Only a few attacks came before the vikings arrived and they were mostly ineffective. I made early competition for the King - only to be foiled by another player. I also forgot how many banner cards I had in my deck and played all of them - forcing me to lose by aging out (a silly mistake).

The other players fought wars and traded blows with the vikings for a while, until, little by little, one player remained. It took us a while to figure out that we should really be destroying towers before going for the siege kill. Vikings became almost exclusively tower killers for a while.

It was a longer game than expected - about 3 hours including the explanation (but we also had a little AP as well). Everyone concluded that they enjoyed it very much and were eager to try different deck combinations next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Send links to the electronic game to all your players, they are free on almost all platforms. They can get practiced up before your next session. Learn a few tactical and strategic lessons before your next IRL game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, about three hours? That's quite long, even for a first game. As you learn the game, that should drop considerably. Sounds like some turtling going on in that game. As the players get more aggressive, the games will speed up quite a bit. I played ten 2-player games IRL inside of two hours in one session. That said, we were trying rush strategies. Anyway, a four player game shouldn't typically last more than an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
Wow, about three hours? That's quite long, even for a first game. As you learn the game, that should drop considerably. Sounds like some turtling going on in that game. As the players get more aggressive, the games will speed up quite a bit. I played ten 2-player games IRL inside of two hours in one session. That said, we were trying rush strategies. Anyway, a four player game shouldn't typically last more than an hour.

There was definitely turtling - as most attacks (even by vikings) were fended off with little loss of properties. As I mentioned, we did castle sieges when we probably should have been attacking towers. We also didn't use raiding at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.