Subject: What is this year's hidden gem so far??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Carpenter
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have not played a ton of this year's releaseso but from browsing this site and reading reviews I have gathered that Joraku is a solid game that isn't getting huge publicity. Are there any other games that are "hidden gems"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Come on Batman! Pull your weight!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, really like Risk Europe. Yes, it has the Risk brand which may have some people outright dismissing it, but it is really well done and now one of my favorite games. It is card driven with a unique (for Risk) combat system, and even has a bit of a Euro flair to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carpenter
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm. I bought into the hype and took the plunge on Cry Havoc. My gaming group doesn't play a ton of war-ish games so I'm not sure that'd be the best purchase now that I already got Cry Havoc. That is interesting to know in case I get an opportunity to play Risk Europe though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Joraku is a hidden gem and I enjoy my copy of it, but that's technically a 2015 game according to this site.

Out of the ones I own, here are some ones I feel don't get enough love in comparison to other well-known titles.

Automobiles
Covert
Mask of Anubis
Ninja Camp
Mystic Vale
Oceanos
Sushi Go Party!
World's Fair 1893

I wanted to add Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure, Lotus, and Yokohama, but I think they're getting the coverage they deserve. Yokohama won't be out until next year, but I own the Japanese version which has English and I love it. It's just hard to convince people to play it because they assume everything is in Japanese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Probably not your kind of game, but the heavy building/civ game The Colonists was way under the radar until Essen, and even then, most North Americans still have never heard of it, including game store owners I visit. It's an amazing game, but the publisher seems to have really dropped the ball on promotion in the English market, and the designer is new so there was no fan buzz. I was lucky to get a copy from my favorite FLGS, which had an employee who attended Essen pick up a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party would be my pick as well. This is a fantastic game that improves on the original in every way necessary -- about as good of a gateway game as I could imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
Project: ELITE is a really fun game that I think is being totally overshadowed by all the issues with its Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for World's Fair 1893
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Risk: Europe. I had wanted a Risk replacer for a while, and this is a big change from regular Risk, but it needed to be. I am happy to let me old copy go.

My other big surprise, was how much I like The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game. I was hoping it might be say 70 percent as good as the excellent board game, but there is a chance of folks actually liking it even more!

surprise

I'm in that camp, as is Tom Vasel! I just like how fast and fluid it is. It for me gives a good kicking to some of my other set collection card games. I really, really like it!

Downside is that despite having mini Euro cards, it does actually spread out a lot on the table. On the other hand, it packs into a much smaller box than the original, so is portable. But count out playing it on a tiny cafe table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carpenter
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a suggestion for this year's best worker placement game that isn't a gateway game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
MariettaTennis wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion for this year's best worker placement game that isn't a gateway game?

Tiny Epic Western, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MariettaTennis wrote:

A Feast for Odin... its awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Sushi Go Party would be my pick as well. This is a fantastic game that improves on the original in every way necessary -- about as good of a gateway game as I could imagine.

I thought the issue with Sushi Go Party is that the first print run sold out much faster than expected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
MariettaTennis wrote:

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carpenter
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I have heard great things bailout A Feast for Odin. I am kind of looking for a hidden gem in the worker placement genre though. Something I haven't heard much about. I gave been considering Odin though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game that has flown under the radar, but still liked by everyone I've played with is Costa Rica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
MariettaTennis wrote:

It looks good, but I'm not sure I'd call it a "hidden gem". It's the next big Uwe game, so it's been pretty hyped for a while now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Yeung

Paradise Valley
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
MariettaTennis wrote:

Great Western Trail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best hidden gem: imo Ulm. I didn't get much noise beforehand like Great Western Trail, Terraforming Mars or A Feast for Odin, but is really nice mid weight old school Euro that is playable with both casual gamers and experts.

And the best 'hadn't heard of this one before' 2-player: Hanamikoji by EmperorS4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
MariettaTennis wrote:

Crisis is WP game that I actually enjoy. It doesn't happen often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
MariettaTennis wrote:
Yes, I have heard great things bailout A Feast for Odin. I am kind of looking for a hidden gem in the worker placement genre though. Something I haven't heard much about. I gave been considering Odin though.

Well, like I mentioned above, The Colonists. You might also check out New Bedford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MariettaTennis wrote:

The Colonists is about as far from a gateway as you can and it is a worker placement variant. There's no blocking, but you pay the other player if you take an action where their worker is. There's also a spatial element to what actions you're allowed to take. Yummy, yummy.

ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Probably not your kind of game, but the heavy building/civ game The Colonists was way under the radar until Essen, and even then, most North Americans still have never heard of it, including game store owners I visit. It's an amazing game, but the publisher seems to have really dropped the ball on promotion in the English market, and the designer is new so there was no fan buzz. I was lucky to get a copy from my favorite FLGS, which had an employee who attended Essen pick up a copy.

Is this a true 4x type of game? Or is it more friendly and doesn't feature extermination?
Is it more like Archipelago?

I'm really interested in this but there is so little info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
canadiankorean wrote:
quill65 wrote:

Is this a true 4x type of game? Or is it more friendly and doesn't feature extermination?

No, it's much more a big "multiplayer solitaire" euro building game. Players have their own board to put their buildings on,and then there is a main board that consists of hex tiles with actions. On your turn, you move your worker pawn(s) across the board, taking the allowed action on each hex tile you land on (take some wood, build a building on your home board, convert clay to bricks, etc). The interaction is more blocking: another player can land on the tile you have a pawn on, but they have to pay you for it, so you avoid doing that unless necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carpenter
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
canadiankorean wrote:
quill65 wrote:

I am interested in this also, and Ulm. I will check these out. Crisis too I haven't heard anything about that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.