Hide
8 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attack Logic Clarification - Newb Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LL Wells
msg tools
I'm hoping the community can help clear up a minor dispute my BF and I are having while playing the game. At this point in time I'm referencing the basic rules and cards in the core set - not considering any special abilities or instructions that may occur on a less common basis.

When fighting a Villain, the rules state:
"To fight a Villain:
- Expend Attack equal to that Villain's attack to defeat it. You then have the remaining Attack value available to attack another Villain
You can only attack a Villain if you have at least as much Attack as the Villain's attack."

I interpret that as Attack Points Spent must equal the Attack Points Needed for the Villain or Villain's attacked within that turn.

So for example if I have a 1 point attack card and a 4 point attack card, I can attack, within a turn, a villain that is either 5 points -or- 2 villains that add up to 5 points exactly. My logic being that the math equation must be balanced. 5 =5

My BF on the other hand, interprets the "at least" portion of the rules quoted above as, if you play a single card with 6 attack points, and if the only Villain on the board is 3 points, you can eliminate the Villain and while you have three points left over, you can end your turn (because you can't spend your 3 attack point balance) and you in effect, just wasted those three additional attack points.

From my perspective, aside from potentially being wasteful, removing the need for that balanced equation in Attacking reduces the difficulty level of the game, allowing players to eliminate Villains without much thought or strategy (by throwing excess Attack points at the Villains). It also doesn't align with the more clearly written rule that you need EXACT points for recruiting.

Any insights on this topic would be greatly appreciated - Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You never need exact amounts for attack or recruit. Generate what you can, spend what you want out of that, and anything left at the end of the turn is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although there is an expansion that ramps up the difficulty, as well as adds a significant amount of uncertainty. The Villains: Fear Itself adds what are called Uru Enchanted Weapons, where when you Fight a Villain, you reveal the next X number of cards from the Villain deck and add their written attack value to the current attack value of the guy you are fighting. So you usually want to expend additional attack because otherwise it is likely you would fail the attack and not successfully Defeat the Villain you are targeting.

I know a lot of people are against Villains in principle (I'm actually one of them - they're the only two games/expansions I do not own in Marvel Legendary), but the mechanics introduced in those two games/expansions are absolutely FANTASTIC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your BF is right, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You add up all the Scars (attack points) that your hand can generate. On that turn, you can defeat any number of villains whose attack rating adds up to that total, or less. If you generate 8 Scars, and there is a 4 villain and a 3 villain, you can defeat both of them, one of them, or neither. Up to you. Same with Stars (recruit points). All Scars and Stars go into a pool that can be divvied up as you see fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
swirlsaepi wrote:
Although there is an expansion that ramps up the difficulty, as well as adds a significant amount of uncertainty. The Villains: Fear Itself adds what are called Uru Enchanted Weapons, where when you Fight a Villain, you reveal the next X number of cards from the Villain deck and add their written point value to the current attack value of the guy you are fighting. So you usually want to expend additional attack because otherwise it is likely you would fail the attack and not successfully Defeat the Villain you are targeting.

I know a lot of people are against Villains in principle (I'm actually one of them - they're the only two games/expansions I do not own in Marvel Legendary), but the mechanics introduced in those two games/expansions are absolutely FANTASTIC.

Fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks. Like I said, I don't own the expansion so I couldn't remember for sure exactly what it looked at. I thought it looked at the printed attack value, my mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's a little annoying it works that way, too. Anytime I play with the Mighty, I have to make sure there are no extra 0-point cards added, or it gets way too easy. Recruitable enemies, Infinity Gems, "hero" villains, all of this makes the Mighty (and Iron Man) way too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.