Subject: Drakon Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Drakon players are exploring a dungeon looking for gold and loot. This dungeon is guarded by a vicious dragon. Being the brave loyal adventurers that you are, you have no intention of killing said dragon. Nor do you have any intention of team cooperation. While you are not fighting, you have no real issues with feeding the others to a dragon to escape.

You get a hand of dungeon tiles and your turn basically consists of playing a tile or moving to another space.

Placing a tile is how you expand the dungeon. One of the best though out rules is the one way passages. Because all passages are one way it is difficult to keep visiting the same loot space over and over again, unless you do something tricky.

Moving to another space is simple, except almost every tile puts a twist on this. The tiles abilities do things such as rearrange the board (rotate room, move room, etc) and make good use of the fact that it is made of tiles. Some spaces give you gold others affect how you move and some ever activate the dragon. They are all interesting and versatile, but not overwhelming.

In general, the game comes down to attempting to put favorable tile arrangements near you and keeping poor traps and dreadful things away. The evil genius can have a field day setting up chains of traps to send the other players through or engineering the ultimate moneymaking machine area. Of course other players can destroy you plan with one simple tile replacement.

From a thematic perspective the game gives you the feeling that the dungeon is messing with you. Ever player takes a turn as the dungeon master putting traps in your path so to speak.

The game includes everything I want in a dungeon crawl and nothing I do not. To be fair I am not much a dungeon craw guy. I never cared for RPG type dice mechanics nor leveling systems. These systems feel bland and routine to me. Story matter, cool mazes matter to me. Albeit there is not much story here.

If I was to name weaknesses. Sometimes players do not want to move or they get stuck. It is rare but just drawing tiles and hopping for the best can slow the game. (It’s still fun because you get to mess with everyone else)
Finally, some people will find it frustrating how your plans can come crashing down usually because another player messed with you. I think this is part of the fun.

Drakon is a very special game to me, since it was my gateway game into the hobby, so you can take my endorsement with a little grain of salt. However, being my gateway I do not consider the game heavy.
I recommend this to anyone looking for a lite dungeon crawl, which is 10000% better than munchkin.

Seriously burn munchkin and buy this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.