Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Arlington
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't taking notes or anything, so everything here is from my best recollection.

First off, this group I played with are all mostly veteran 18xx gamers that meet regularly (at least twice a week, 3-4 games a week usually) and 1846 has always been a pretty popular game there. To date, in all my game sessions with them (my attendance is much more sporadic), 1846 is the only game I've ever actually won.

Everyone was pleased with the new components, the map board, the laminated stock certs/trains, and the extra thick tiles. We didn't use the money since this group plays with poker chips instead, but everyone thought the quality of the money was nice too.

I got the Priority Player One card, so I had last look at the privates. I think my choices were Mail Contract, Lake Shore and Michigan Central. I took Michigan Central. By the time it came back around to me, I decided to just stick with MC and I ended up opening Grand Trunk at $100.

Barbara was next to me, she had picked up Michigan Southern and was hoping herself to open Grand Trunk, but I foiled her plans. She ended up with New York. David opened B&O, Deborah opened Erie and Clayton opened Pennsylvania.

I probably did Barbara a favor in the end since she ended up winning with just New York and ended up pinning her stock price at $550 top of the track by game end. She won by a pretty good margin. David ended up opening Chesapeake later. Deborah opened IC later on, but did it at a bad time and just narrowly avoided bankruptcy when her trains got obsoleted. Clayton and I stuck with our original railroads. Due to my initial monies, I was able to keep Grand Trunk solvent all game, I think I only had to pay out half once to get my permanent train, I ended up with two.

In the end, Barbara ran away with it with $8066. Clayton, David and myself all were bunched together at 2-3-4. I finished second with $6748, David ended with $6673, Clayton finished just $17 behind David with $6656 and Deborah avoided bankruptcy, but finished last with $4684.

All in all, everyone really liked the new GMT version and were happy with the contents you get at that price considering the prices of some other 18xx games these days.

Dave (not David! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Barbara's situation, she could also open IC (getting an extra share's worth of capital) and buy the MS in during OR 1 or OR 2 so as to get easy access to the Detroit-Chicago run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.