Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting up first mission for the second time. (4 player we lost and got some rules wrong). This time it will be 2 player but seems like it's going to be even harder with only 2 as it doesn't scale down at all.

Am I missing something ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
Setting up first mission for the second time. (4 player we lost and got some rules wrong). This time it will be 2 player but seems like it's going to be even harder with only 2 as it doesn't scale down at all.

Am I missing something ?

It scales in that each player gets 2 cards each round instead of 1. It's true that this mission specifically is considered to be a bit tougher with 2 than with 4. Totally winnable though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It scale very well.

Gathering crystal missions are hard with 2 players (you really need to build up your mechs and clear minions before going for the crystals), but after that it is ok and some missions might be easier (those that require everybody to be at the same place at the sametime).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
alandric wrote:

Am I missing something ?

It scales in that each player gets 2 cards each round instead of 1. It's true that this mission specifically is considered to be a bit tougher with 2 than with 4. Totally winnable though.

That's what we missed then. It makes no mention of that in the mission book. The taking 2 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
Felkor wrote:
alandric wrote:

Am I missing something ?

That's what we missed then. It makes no mention of that in the mission book. The taking 2 cards.

You draw until 4 cards are taken. This means that in 2 player game, both players get 2 cards, and in a 3 player game, the first player will get 2 cards while the other players just get 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heuer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:

The rulebook does talk about this. You always deal at least five cards to draft from and you stop drafting when there is only one card left. I don't have the rulebook in front of me so I can't give you a page number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heuer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:

You draw until 4 cards are taken.

Are you sure it says four cards? I thought it was until there is only 1 left so cards that add to the pool are really beneficial. I'll have to look at the rulebooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dachsy wrote:
Felkor wrote:

Are you sure it says four cards? I thought it was until there is only 1 left so cards that add to the pool are really beneficial. I'll have to look at the rulebooks.

Memory Core definitely does not let you pick up more cards. It just gives you more choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Player Drafts in the rulebook:

Quote:

The First Player deals five Command Cards faceup on the
table, flips Zhonya’s Minuteglass, then picks one card.
Continue clockwise with each player picking one card
until four cards have been picked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dachsy wrote:
Felkor wrote:

The rule book under Draft says:

Quote:
Player Drafts
The First Player deals five Command Cards faceup on the table, flips Zhonya’s Minuteglass, then picks one card. Continue clockwise with each player picking one card until four cards have been picked.

Edit ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also dont forget the double draft at the start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbriner31 wrote:
Also don't forget the double draft at the start

The double draft does NOT scale for player count, though. Everyone still only gets 2 cards, with a larger pool to select from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We tested this pretty heavily in house, and starting with 4 command cards on turn one was WAY overpowered and trivialized the early game. Additionally it made for some massive power disparities in 3 player games that felt really bad in internal tests.

That's ultimately why we went with the system we did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup don't discredit the accelerated rate of getting new cards. There are quite a few AOE level 3 attacks that are just crazy good -- some attacks are SO good that you get mad at other mechs for taking away kills that you needed to wipe off half the board.

Spoiler for Mission 1 scenario tactics:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We had a 3p game running, where one person basically stay near the bomb and pick off stragglers when the other 2 went head first into the minions spawn area -- needless to say, after about 5-6 drafts, we were in a position to handle anything and about 8-9 drafts from completely board wiping every turn. We literally pranced the bomb in -- the closet a minion got was within 2 spaces of the bomb.
. So I can EASILY see how 4 cards up front would be way too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Mission 8 with 3 players. Damn it is harder than with 2 players. It takes forever to build up a fonctional mech and during that time, the bomb has a 50% chance to take 1 damage every turn + from minions.

We failed two times before setting up for a plan of repairing the bomb in the first room until our mechs were almost fully built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kuch
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
RiotFpMcgee wrote:
We tested this pretty heavily in house, and starting with 4 command cards on turn one was WAY overpowered and trivialized the early game. Additionally it made for some massive power disparities in 3 player games that felt really bad in internal tests.

That's ultimately why we went with the system we did.

I've played twice with two players, and can certainly appreciate the above comments. Starting with 2 cards seems fully appropriate, even with two players - the extra options you get at the double draft make up for the lack of players.

The first 2p game we played (mission 2, save the school) was relatively close with 2, but easy with 4p. The second time we played 2p with scenario 4 and it was very easy, not even close. I can't imagine even playing those levels on easy mode!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
mb
We're struggling with only 2 players on the final mission.

Spoilers:
Stomping all 4 crystals before we can even start working through the rune shields is a pain and we were already conceivably one turn away from losing by the time we got all the crystals down. We didn't even do any actual damage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.