Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Hocker
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just getting into board gaming(just bought my first 3 games) and looking to build up my collection. Just wondering if there are usually any good deals on games on Black Friday. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yep!

FFG always has a huge sale, although the quality of whats in there varies.

But most online stores have Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.... noooooo ..... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are usually a good number of deals in the November/December.

Also, there is a forum called discussing retailers that is a better fit for this question. Usually, the hot deals section is just for posting deals that you find. People tend to be very vocal about this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hecox
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Game Reviewer
badge
Help, I can't stop laughing.
mbmbmbmbmb
EliasDKehr wrote:
Yes, there are usually a good number of deals in the November/December.

Also, there is a forum called discussing retailers that is a better fit for this question. Usually, the hot deals section is just for posting deals that you find. People tend to be very vocal about this...

And rightfully so. We aren't discussing strategy for Kemet in the Blood Rage forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm in favor of discussing all sale related issues in this forum. Discussing retailers, while technically "right" is going to draw questions on practices and quality when a person has a question about a particular retailer. This forum draws bargain hunters, so anything about bargains interests me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Not necessarily Black Friday, but between "Black November" sales and pre/post Christmas sales, you're bound to find something at an agreeable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
th0rthemighty wrote:
Just getting into board gaming(just bought my first 3 games) and looking to build up my collection. Just wondering if there are usually any good deals on games on Black Friday. Thanks.

Yes but depending on what you are looking for there can be better deals before or after black friday. For instance the target deal right now might be the best pricing on some items. Also Amazon's b2g1 was around 12/4 last year and 12/16 the year before. Both after black friday and probably the lowest price you will find on many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick DeGeest
United States
Fort Pierce
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are definitely Black Friday deals on board games but, in my experience, they are a lot of bad-mediocre games getting unloaded.

If you subscribe to the Hot Deals Thread I think you'll find much better games on sale, IMHO (but you have check daily!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Several, but which one is right for you depends on what you are looking to get. It might be useful to make a list of games you hope to acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Olmstead
United States
Sodus
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Amazon has a deal of the day on Ravensburger puzzles and games in mid November. This deal has shown up the last couple of years, so I am expecting it to show up again this year. If I remember correctly, most games were 50% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deals - of course, great deals - not a lot ... usually after black friday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried to find info on past FFG Black Friday sales, and I failed. Would love to know what type of stuff they usually discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Neumann
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Stuff Inc had a lot of great deals the week of Black Friday/Cyber Monday. They have deals all the time, but I remember that week being really good. We've noticed a trend the last few years. Amazon has had a "Strategy Game Deal of the Day" that has appeared in the summer (July/August) and sometime in November/December.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:
Tried to find info on past FFG Black Friday sales, and I failed. Would love to know what type of stuff they usually discount.

Target: major gateway games
Amazon: gateway plus more
Cool Stuff: broad selection of board games, changes day by day
Cardhaus: broad selection
Miniature Market: broad selection of board games, perhaps more obscure and miniatures games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be helpful to have a "Discussing Hot Deals" sub-forum. It's more specific than "Discussing Retailers" but also keeps the Hot Deals forum as, well, a list of hot deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Best bet is to keep checking Hot Deals from the middle of November.

My sumamry, fwiw:

Fantasy Flight does usually have a sale but a lot of it is clearance type items and their shipping is crazy high so it's hard to make it worthwhile.

Cardhaus should have a sale *sometime* around Thanksgiving that will probably have a great selection with amazing prices. Plan to spend $125 to make it worth it bec. their shipping is on the high side.

Miniature Market should also have a sale *sometime* around thanksgiving. May not be quite as awesome as Cardhaus but they have $5.99 flat rate shipping, free shipping at $100 and a customer hold feature where you can keep placing orders until you reach $100 for free shpping.

Cool stuff Inc will probably do something as well but they now run sales that are smaller but more frequent.

Amazon usually has a one day sale on board games sometime in December. It's a pretty good sale and in the past has included lots of gateway games and some strategy games as well.

Target? Who knows. They seem to randomly run these B2G1F sales and I don't know if there is any timeline for them.

Most other stores have some type of sale also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
th0rthemighty wrote:

hi, welcome to bgg

note that on this forum there is a pinned thread one should read before posting in this forum, ie.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417183/what-hot-deal

essentially post actual hot deals, not discussion about what retailers may do, there is another forum for that...

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/17/boardgamegeek/discussing-...

also google is your friend as might be expected your question is an annual one, see

http://tinyurl.com/blackfridayboardgamedeals

of course all imho ymmv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grinnan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdegeest wrote:
There are definitely Black Friday deals on board games but, in my experience, they are a lot of bad-mediocre games getting unloaded.

If you subscribe to the Hot Deals Thread I think you'll find much better games on sale, IMHO (but you have check daily!)

DON'T DO IT IS A TRAP!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:

Generally older games and discontinued games/rpg lines. Most things are $5 or $10 with a few items going as high as $25. Expect to see any GW licensed stuff that's hanging out in the warehouse still come Thanksgiving weekend, I'd bet on a bunch of RPG product for the 40K lines and some old Warhammer Fantasy RPG stuff. Seems like 2nd edition books have been on offer the last couple of years.

It's literally a warehouse cleanout for them, so don't expect anything in the Top 100 here, no X-Wing or Imperial Assault stuff. Once in a great while they'll put old promo items in there. The only example that comes to mind of that was promo heroes for Descent 1st ed.

Also, as has already been said, UPS seems to be the only option, so unless you're buying a whole bunch of product, the shipping cost will make many things not worth the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Elliott
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coachgrinnan wrote:
pdegeest wrote:

DON'T DO IT IS A TRAP!!!!

only do this if you want your collection to balloon quickly blush I made this mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
th0rthemighty wrote:

I generally set up a few sentinel games on camelcamelcamel. I recommend King of Tokyo/King of New York at like 24-25 bucks. If I see those go on a huge sale, there's almost always more games to be found. Amazon does some great sales one day of the 12 days of Christmas, Tabletop day, and during Gencon.

I don't know if Days of Wonder does this anymore, but they used to have a buy 2 get one free sale through their store that, if it aligns with your tastes, is usually pretty good.

That, and I check the bargains forums here, often.

If I could recommend anything to you as a new boardgamer, go with quality over quantity. I went nuts with Tanga when I first got into the hobby, and I ended up with a bunch of so-so games that never make it to the table in favor of pretty good to great games. It's a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

Also have a few cheap 'n easy games on hand for family gatherings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
abonosky wrote:
Best bet is to keep checking Hot Deals from the middle of November.

My sumamry, fwiw:

Fantasy Flight does usually have a sale but a lot of it is clearance type items and their shipping is crazy high so it's hard to make it worthwhile.

Cardhaus should have a sale *sometime* around Thanksgiving that will probably have a great selection with amazing prices. Plan to spend $125 to make it worth it bec. their shipping is on the high side.

Miniature Market should also have a sale *sometime* around thanksgiving. May not be quite as awesome as Cardhaus but they have $5.99 flat rate shipping, free shipping at $100 and a customer hold feature where you can keep placing orders until you reach $100 for free shpping.

Cool stuff Inc will probably do something as well but they now run sales that are smaller but more frequent.

Amazon usually has a one day sale on board games sometime in December. It's a pretty good sale and in the past has included lots of gateway games and some strategy games as well.

Target? Who knows. They seem to randomly run these B2G1F sales and I don't know if there is any timeline for them.

Most other stores have some type of sale also.

Do these sales include pre-orders and newest games? I suspect not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
ShaneXtopher wrote:

Target: major gateway games
Amazon: gateway plus more
Cool Stuff: broad selection of board games, changes day by day
Cardhaus: broad selection
Miniature Market: broad selection of board games, perhaps more obscure and miniatures games.

These are all FFG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.