Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Supposedly Vaults don't have LOS with the room containing it's trap door even if the door is open. I suspect this if for the purpose of archery. However for lamp oil ... err... dragon bile, dropping a flask through the trap door with a torch couldn't be easier practically. You should be able to do that. Before I house rule it though, I'd like to know how people are playing it. Saw someone on YouTube trying to play the rule as disallowing that and it was comically awkward. What do you all think? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
carbon_dragon wrote:
However for lamp oil ... err... dragon bile, dropping a flask through the trap door with a torch couldn't be easier practically. You should be able to do that.

We discussed this recently in my group and house ruled that you have LoS into the vault if you are on the same square with the door tile on it. So you can shoot/dragon bile into it from outside IF you are standing right next to the door. Same goes for the skeleton archers.

And from within the vault you can target only the square outside containing the door tile.

That solution kinda pleased everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do understand where the OP is coming from on this one.

For myself, I see the Vaults as being somewhat abstract concepts. They represent an area, like a basement or cellar, that is accessed via a ladder/ steps but is not necessarily directly below a given hatch--which is why they are used as shortcuts across the board.

Think of a house with a basement that has a staircase leading down to it. That basement may have any number of architectural features that block line of sight but not sound. My grandmother's house from my childhood, had a basement that you could see nothing but steps until you were half way down. Additionally, there were half walls, old coal bins, and so on that in later years became storage areas effectively breaking it up into multiple rooms, almost none of which could be seen from the stairs, but were solid enough to block LoS in their own right.

Short answer, I don't think of the Vault spaces as being a pit directly below the stairs, so the current rules work for me.

However, I can totally see writing a custom quest that specifically utilized such a feature?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to argue that neither the use of Dragon Bile nor the Torch required Line of Sight, as they aren't attacks. Nothing in the rules suggests these actions require it. This would allow you to do what you're wanting, but would also allow you to do the opposite from inside the Vault.

However, official ruling came through that anything that mentions Range requires Line of Sight. This makes the official rule clear, at least, despite it not being mentioned anywhere in the rulebook.

I now consider there to be a long, quickly traversable passage between the Vault Doors and the Vault Tile. This explains the lack of Line of Sight thematically, while also showing why you can't throw Bile into or out of the Vault.

If you are going to still house rule, I'd recommend going with the rules as written approach and ignoring the 'line of sight' requirement from Dragon Bile and Torch usage. You don't really want to fool with the LoS rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One adventure seems to require suicide because of this rule (going down to the vault and blowing it up rather than lobbing the grenade (so to speak) down the trap door. Also if there is no line of sight and some distance involved then why do the zombies traverse to or from the vault?

I'm pretty OK allowing just bile rather then arrows. Otherwise I'll bring Xena and start her with the dragonfire sword. Take that unreasonable rulings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
One adventure seems to require suicide because of this rule (going down to the vault and blowing it up rather than lobbing the grenade (so to speak) down the trap door.

Which one?

Quote:
Also if there is no line of sight and some distance involved then why do the zombies traverse to or from the vault?

The distance between each Zone with the Vault Door token and the Vault itself is still only 1, so Zombies will go through there if it's shorter than the overland route.

Quote:
I'm pretty OK allowing just bile rather then arrows. Otherwise I'll bring Xena and start her with the dragonfire sword. Take that unreasonable rulings!

This still kills you if used in your Zone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quest 8. See if you can figue out how to be 1 zone away from the nasty when you throw the bile. Not easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Quest 8. See if you can figue out how to be 1 zone away from the nasty when you throw the bile. Not easy.

Just open the vault door and then step back out of the room. The Abom will come into the temple room, then you lay it on him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Just open the vault door and then step back out of the room. The Abom will come into the temple room, then you lay it on him.

The guy tried that and lost 2 characters instead of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.