Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: War games mechanics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
i'm currently under development of a war game, mostly like a sci-fi battle game, and i was thinking about the mechanics i will include.
I have combat dictated by the number of dice your weapon has, so lets say a gun has 3d6 dice, while a machinegun 7d6 for example. BUT, i have read numerous times that people dont like dice combat (or similar mechanics) so i ask you here:

what kind of mechanics do you like in war games, specially refering to combat and movement?

what kind of mechanics you dont like and why?

i would really appreciate some feedback. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend also asking this question in the "Thematic Games" subdomain forum: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/772791/thematic-games/genera...

My guess is that what you're designing would probably be more characterized as a "Thematic Game" (like Space Hulk (third edition) or Doom: The Boardgame) rather than a science-fiction "Wargame" (like Starship Troopers), though of course there is significant overlap between the two genres. The people in that forum can give you lots of insight and maybe suggest some games for you to research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
i'm currently under development of a war game, mostly like a sci-fi battle game, and i was thinking about the mechanics i will include.
I have combat dictated by the number of dice your weapon has, so lets say a gun has 3 dice, while a machinegun 7 fore example. BUT, i have read numerous times that people dont like dice combat (or similar mechanics) so i ask you here:

what kind of mechanics do you like in war games, specially refering to combat and movement?

I think dice for combat is almost a must-have. I have never seen an alternative that I've liked better, and I think your first cut (increased number of dice for bigger weapons) is a great start. In combat-driven action there needs to be unpredictability, needs to be a need to step into harm's way in order to dish out damage or the game becomes a Chess match. That's not the nature of the genre.

What follows is important -- what counts as a hit and what doesn't, how you apply damage, etc. Your first description is fine, but incomplete.

And I'll disagree with the gentleman above. This is the correct forum for the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
Sagrilarus wrote:
xchikyx wrote:
I have combat dictated by the number of dice your weapon has, so lets say a gun has 3 dice, while a machinegun 7 fore example. BUT, i have read numerous times that people dont like dice combat (or similar mechanics) so i ask you here:

I think dice for combat is almost a must-have. I have never seen an alternative that I've liked better, and I think your first cut (increased number of dice for bigger weapons) is a great start. What follows is important -- what counts as a hit and what doesn't, how you apply damage, etc.

And I'll disagree with the gentleman above. This is the correct forum for this question.

Well, each player has a shield, so some hits will be blocked by the shield... So, a basic shot would be like: 1-2 shot miss, 3-4 shot protected by the shield (decreasing the shield capacity) 5-6 shot deals health damage. Once the shield is destroyed, 3-6 would deal health damage. And, as in a FPS video game, after a few turns without damage, shield and health start to recover again
i want to make it like a FPS board game,that's the basic idea, so i dont really know which genre i should call it yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    It will find its own way into a genre so don't worry about that. It sounds like you have the basic concept in place. The one thing I'll mention is that I don't think people will live very long from looking at your example! That might be your intention, or you might choose to tweak if people get mowed down too quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Axis & Allies, but I don't like how you can roll over and over again and get no hits. For example, if 4 infantry and a tank are attacking 2 infantry, you can easily roll no hits for 3 rounds of rolling because infantry attack at a 1 and tanks attack at a 3 and infantry defend at a 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Make the game you want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
BUT, i have read numerous times that people dont like dice combat

This is true for a small percentage of people (they simply don't like any randomizer). Most people that complain about dice combat is due to the dice being the main (or only) contribution to the outcome of the combat (RISK, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do something like Heroes of Normanide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
xchikyx wrote:

This is true for a small percentage of people (they simply don't like any randomizer). Most people that complain about dice combat is due to the dice being the main (or only) contribution to the outcome of the combat (RISK, for example).

i haven't played risk so i can't tell... did you read how i was planning combat? is it like risk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
Cro1 wrote:
Do something like Heroes of Normanide.

i'll check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ancient wargames used one d6 for combat. Strengths compared to strengths, and results were on tables.

With the advent of polyhedral dice, you could assign a d4, d6, d8, etc. for each adversary to represent the strength.

Either could incorporate all manner of modifiers.

But buckets o' dice have sold a lot of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk (the original) involves the attacker having three dice (d6) and the defender two. All armies are generic and equal. The two highest dice for each are compared, then the second pair. Rolling higher eliminates one of the opponent's armies. Ties go to the defender while the attacker has that extra die to his favor.

It doesn't have a lot of dice, but resolving 40 armies vs. 35 armies late in the game can be quite tedious doing two each at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
xchikyx wrote:

i haven't played risk so i can't tell... did you read how i was planning combat? is it like risk?

Is there any more to combat? Does positioning modify the dice roll? How about relative strength? Other factors the player can influence? If not, it sounds a lot like RISK: entirely luck dependent. How well you roll matters more than how well you play.

bltzlfsk wrote:
Risk (the original) involves the attacker having three dice (d6) and the defender two. All armies are generic and equal. The two highest dice for each are compared, then the second pair. Rolling higher eliminates one of the opponent's armies. Ties go to the defender while the attacker has that extra die to his favor.

IIRC, it's 1-3 dice for the attacker and 1-2 dice for the defender, depending on number of units in each army. There's also a limited amount of card play that can modify a single roll (possibly helpful if the armies are small, meaningless if they are not). You compare a number of dice equal to whoever has the least (which is the most units that can be destroyed) and excess dice are ignored. It basically boils down to "roll a die, high roll wins, repeat up to several hundred times per turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schroeder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
All of the complaints I've seen (including my own) hinge on how much is determined by the actual roll of the dice. D&D uses dice, but you rarely hear complaints there since you have so many choices about which roll to attempt, and how to modify the rolls.

On the on the spectrum of "all d6's, highest roll wins" and "no dice at all" just be mindful of where you want to be, and build your mechanics and modifiers to get you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Make the game you want to play.

This should be your catch phrase Paul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP's question
How detailed do you want the inputs and final output to be.

Mechanics I've played with:
Dice as values Space Hulk (third edition) , Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game
Chit pull War Stories: Red Storm
Randomized Card result (cards have multiple results for multiple actions) Agents of SMERSH
Chart Comparison of penetration/kinetic force/rate of fire to protection/armor/incoming trajectory/environmental factors (one of the 70's Tobrook Avalon Hill games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
xchikyx wrote:
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
xchikyx wrote:

Is there any more to combat? Does positioning modify the dice roll? How about relative strength? Other factors the player can influence? If not, it sounds a lot like RISK: entirely luck dependent. How well you roll matters more than how well you play.

you have to be aiming the opponent to fire at him, and you must me in range of the weapon... besides that, players can get better accuracy, which increases the possibility of dealing damage, and each weapon has different damage: low, medium, high, and lethal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
StevenE wrote:
To the OP's question
How detailed do you want the inputs and final output to be.

Mechanics I've played with:
Dice as values Space Hulk (third edition) , Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game
Chit pull War Stories: Red Storm
Randomized Card result (cards have multiple results for multiple actions) Agents of SMERSH
Chart Comparison of penetration/kinetic force/rate of fire to protection/armor/incoming trajectory/environmental factors (one of the 70's Tobrook Avalon Hill games)

i want combat to be fast: roll attack, enemy reduces shield, enemy reduces health, end of turn
FPS are really fast games, and i want to put that into this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.