Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarandongo
United States
MADISON
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, but every time I've played it with my wife I lost by a lot. Could someone please give me any advice on general strategies for this game?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General strategy? Prepare rooms in blocks so you get the bonuses for filling each of the blocks of room colors. Use your starting staff cards as a way to give you a nudge toward whatever strategy you're going to employ this particular game. Find combos with other staff cards or guests as you go. In particular, the staff that let you take extra or bonus actions when you take a die of a particular rank are massively helpful, especially if you can get chains of bonuses going. Action efficiency is key.

I've not played it with just 2, but I'd imagine there's some significant strategy in doing the pass action and re-rolling to get what you need, especially when you're the 1st and 4th action taker.

There's some basics for you... anything more specific?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perenetre wrote:
I love this game, but every time I've played it with my wife I lost by a lot. Could someone please give me any advice on general strategies for this game?

Thank you.

Do what your wife does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apple Brains
msg tools
be wary of taking on too many black and white food orders at once. Avoid it unless you have a specific plan about getting extra black/white cubes that doesn't rely on the luck of the dice.

Take advantage of high powered actions (ie. when there's lots of dice of one number). It may not be the plan you had in mind, but if there's four 3's, prepare 4 rooms, same with any of the dice. Going with what the dice give you, and not getting stuck with multiple really expensive guests (ie guests that like white and black), are two things to think about to make your playing stronger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually find going for an excess of money is solid, as there's always things to spend it on with boosting the actions by 1, particularly when it can get you those elusive black/white cubes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarandongo
United States
MADISON
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your responses.
It makes sense that action efficiency is key, since you're gonna have only 14 actions. So picking the right guests that allow you to save some of those actions seems like the way to go. The problem is that you need to pick also according to the color of rooms that you need and these will depend on the bonus cards. So many tough decisions! I love it!
Also restraining from taking guests that require cake or coffee makes sense, since these are hard to come by.

What would be your priority for taking guests based on the bonuses they provide? Of course this will be also very dependent on the requirements of each one. This is my guess:
1.- Prepare rooms
2.- Flip room tiles
3.- Play staff cards
4.- Advance in Emperor track
5.- Free goods

And I don't know where to put the ones that give you money. I think the need of money depends a lot on the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that's a pretty good priority set. Maybe elevate Emperor Track or Free Goods on necessity or depending on timing. A free black or white cube per turn isn't so bad if you get it early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.