Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

we had a first session last weekend with three persons and managed the Crisis well.. a bit too good for my taste. We played the middle degree of difficulty and the financial status was only in round three in the yellow area.

Mostly we looked for matching the VP aim very closely, so seldom one of us put negative points to the financial track. My impresion was that the whole game went to "nice" for what it should have been. Any idea what we could have done wrong? Should we have gone more for the blackmarket? How did your sessions turn out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
In my two games we have either crossed zero or been close to. If you try and set up an engine it is difficult not to have problems initially. If you succeed a lot of points can be made in the end. In my second play which was also a three player medium level game the scores were 155, 145, 89 after round 7. How do they correspond to your game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unittype wrote:
Hi all,

we had a first session last weekend with three persons and managed the Crisis well.. a bit too good for my taste. We played the middle degree of difficulty and the financial status was only in round three in the yellow area.

Mostly we looked for matching the VP aim very closely, so seldom one of us put negative points to the financial track. My impresion was that the whole game went to "nice" for what it should have been. Any idea what we could have done wrong? Should we have gone more for the blackmarket? How did your sessions turn out?

Well... the one player who won did ok, the others were too nice devil

Remember that even tough it is in everybodys interest to be 'nice' up to a certain point, that point is reached somewhere before the end of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantelis Bouboulis
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play in a very cooperative mode, then you will have no problem in the easy and medium levels. At some point the players might want to hit one enother to gain some advantage. In the high difficulty, however, things are extremely tight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TurambarGR wrote:
If you play in a very cooperative mode, then you will have no problem in the easy and medium levels. At some point the players might want to hit one enother to gain some advantage. In the high difficulty, however, things are extremely tight...

Could it also be that the player count could influence this?! I know, the austerity plan is dealing with the amount of players, BUT I can imagine that getting the companies and workers that one is looking for is much harder with 3+ players as compared with only 2 players...thus making the whole game much more difficult with more players sitting around the table....could this be?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Braz wrote:
TurambarGR wrote:

Could it also be that the player count could influence this?! I know, the austerity plan is dealing with the amount of players, BUT I can imagine that getting the companies and workers that one is looking for is much harder with 3+ players as compared with only 2 players...thus making the whole game much more difficult with more players sitting around the table....could this be?!

Yes I think you are right. This is also what I asked about in another thread about whether there is a first player advantage in a four-player game. Player order definitely becomes more important with more players since the main scaling in the game is through milestones after each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Chen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another dynamic involved in player count is the amount of latitude granted by the austerity plan goals. With fewer players, the goals are higher (and increase more quickly), compensating for the reduced competition for manager locations. However, this also means that players lagging in VP can often drag the economy down rapidly, sometimes too quickly for players to recover.

Given that evaluation happens every round, every VP given up on the first round will reduce the financial track by seven steps. If all the players can't get set up quickly enough, the higher goals can quickly compound the effect.

Especially with new players, we've seen little room for error at low player counts, often leading to bankruptcy in early games. At higher player counts, multiple people dragging down the economy can't be countered by one who's doing well. However, this can lead to victory for the one player able to meet the goal on the bankruptcy round.

It's very interesting to see how this plays out with different groups over time. Unlike most Eurogames, there are very early consequences for spending too much time building your engine. You can't just convert everything into points in the last turn or two. Players learn to take different risks and push the economy to the brink in their quest for the best long-term payout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
And that is exactly what makes this such a good game, Alvin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.