Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
"I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the die."
mbmbmbmbmb
We play this game regularly, 15 minutes per play with 3-4 players, 20-25 minutes with 5-6 players. I don't think the gameplay is broken. Some simple advice.

If you are going to be captain next and you haven't got a good hand then bail, don't gamble. Don't stay in the ship unless you are confident you can survive.

Bail regularly until you think you have built up a hand that can get you high up the city track. Not every game will someone reach the top city but most games someone will pick up a 20 or 25.

Keep careful eye on other peoples hands, what symbols they can and cannot play on, how many cards they have. For instance if you have a hand of Crows then it is less likely the other players will so if they roll a Crow or two then bail out and await a better opportunity.

As Captain don't waste Turbo's, it is usually better to crash and hang on to them for a better shot at the big scoring cities than blow a Turbo on getting from city 1 to city 2.

Bail often to find the Magic Spyglasses and use these safety nets wisely. As with Turbo's don't waste them at lower levels. Same for Jet Packs

When Captain bluff or fool your opponents to stay in when you are going to crash and encourage them to bail if you can make it. This game is great for playing the other players (not everyone enjoys games like this I know). Sometimes it might be better to cooperate but in the end why do you want anyone else sharing the goodies.

Someone much more eloquent than me will probably provide a much better explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a couple times and I think you will typically be spending a lot of runs getting off in the first 3 cities, but then there will be a few breakaway turns where you can travel very far.

There are a few things that can help you move farther when you really want to gun it, like the reroll power cards and spyglass treasures. Also if a city runs out of treasure cards you will remove it from the path and shorten it, so with 5 or 6 players you will get further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing when to jump off is a critical part of winning this game.
It's not always who goes the furthest wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EnigmaProphet wrote:
Hi

So the captain (Player A) rolls the dice, rolls 2 signs, plays the needed cards (x2), and passes the dice to the left, he is now down to 4 cards.

We get lucky, all 3 players are able to respond to the dice on this first turn at the average cost of 2 cards each. It gets back to (Player A) he cannot play both needed cards and we crash.

This doesn't sound correct. You only roll 2 dice for each of the first three stops. If you are 'averaging' 2 cards each, you are literally rolling the worst you possibly can, getting a symbol side of the dice each and every time you roll one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
"I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the die."
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:
EnigmaProphet wrote:
Hi

So the captain (Player A) rolls the dice, rolls 2 signs, plays the needed cards (x2), and passes the dice to the left, he is now down to 4 cards.

We get lucky, all 3 players are able to respond to the dice on this first turn at the average cost of 2 cards each. It gets back to (Player A) he cannot play both needed cards and we crash.

This doesn't sound correct. You only roll 2 dice for each of the first three stops. If you are 'averaging' 2 cards each, you are literally rolling the worst you possibly can, getting a symbol side of the dice each and every time you roll one!

But equally the OP could be correct. It is not such strange luck that in six die rolls no blank came up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XSeb74 XSeb74
France
Sillingy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you return the cities when they are empty of treasures and jump to the next one than ?

Another question, if you emptied the 4 first cities some you should have own magic spyglass, so you should be able to get very far, especially if you start from city 4 or more (because others are empty)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I think the OP must have been playing drastically wrong. Especially given his terrible 'fix' of drawing back to six cards after every move.

The way I read it, they appear to have been playing as a team, deciding collectively whether to remain on the ship or bail. If so, it's not surprising that they had such a poor experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ahlschwede
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got to play this game a couple times and I completely understand where you're coming from. For the first portion of my first game, I was flipping through the rule book wondering if I had missed some rule about drawing more cards. We were using way more cards than we were drawing -- something must be wrong!

But as we played on, it made more sense. You don't have to captain every journey. You can bail early. And sure, if you fail as captain at an early leg, well, then you get another card -- everyone gets another card -- and you try again. So, basically, my initial impression was that we should be going further and being more successful. But, it wouldn't be much of a press your luck game if there wasn't a strong chance of failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
The action card supply is intentionally scarce. However accumulation of cards is easy. The only circumstance which can force you to play cards is if the voyage begins with you as captain, which should statistically happen around 1/5th of the time. In any other scenario, you can simply choose to abandon ship before your turn to spend cards comes up.

To review, there are three situations where you should bail:
1: You think the captain is unwilling or unable to make it.
2: You are going to be the next captain and you don't think you will be able to make it.
3: You simply don't want to spend cards achieving such an early leg of the journey.

Reasons for 3 can vary. Maybe you don't want to spend cards when the ship is full as you are just helping everyone else too. Maybe you see that the remaining people have few cards and won't be able to build off your expenditure to travel much further than that. Or maybe you just want to build up for the big expedition. A lot depends on how many cards you have, especially special cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.