Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure this has been discussed at length somewhere before, but I was unable to come up with a set of search terms leading to that discussion, not to mention that the way photos has displayed has changed fairly recently, so here goes...

Is there a general consensus regarding what resolution of photo is best for uploading to the site? I have a 10 megapixel camera, which can result in some very large images, and I understand this can be painful to the dialup users out there. Does the newer photo display setup with the different size images make the resolution of the original image somewhat irrelevant (as long as it is not too low res, obviously)?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont know what the 'best' resolution is. I don't think there is any guidance.

From what I see imagemodding about 2,000x1,000 (i.e. 2-3M pixels) seems a pretty common size and that is more than enough to allow people to focus in to the detail if they want to.

I usually start at this size (3Mpixels or 4Mpixels depending on how I set my camera) but degrade the resolution so the image comes in at about 250k out of sensitivity for storage space and for people on dial up who really, really want to see the whole image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls