$30.00
Frank Fish
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, I started playing 40k under the first edition rule-set and continued on throughout the majority of later revisions. I would like to get back into the game, having battles in the original heresy era (30k), and utilize my old large/painted armies. Anyone here tried the Forge World Horus Heresy rules and have any input? I still have all my old rules, and White Dwarves. I am wondering if revisiting the original Rogue Trader rules would scratch the same itch.

I already have the 7th edition rules, so there would be no additional cost in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play Fantasy Battle, but never tried 40K and have no knowledge at all of 30K, so I can't shed any light. I think your best bet might be to ask around on somewhere like DakkaDakka. I tend to avoid the place, but I get the impression there are some very knowledgeable dudes hanging around over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tonino
msg tools
From what I know it's mostly the fact that the forces have quite a bit of symmetry at their core what makes the game more balanced. 40k has bigger extremes, where things can go wrong more easily (uberranged Tau, ubersurviving Necrons, ubercheating Eldar, etc). And no super-flexible-crazy-if-you-dont-take-them grav-weapons for marines, hooray.

But I'm sure it has it's own problems. Every ruleset that keeps growing start running into balance issues sooner or later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Fish
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, thanks for the input and the Dakka recommendation, I peruse their forums and others on occasion. I only play these games with close friends, no interest in competitive games at game stores, so I am out of touch with current players.

I ordered the red books from Forge World and will see if I like the changes. Calth and Prospero are set in the 30k timeline, so you're already enjoying it, you just need to avoid the path to bankruptcy Forge World can lead to.

Marco, I have heard the balance issues are greatly remedied in Horus Heresy era games, and as I was indoctrinated into the game around 1991, the Horus Heresy era was all we played. The current 40k has left me cold years ago, but the many rave reviews for forge worlds "modification" of 7th generation 40k rules has me curious.

Thanks for the input guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiveangels wrote:

Calth and Prospero are set in the 30k timeline, so you're already enjoying it, you just need to avoid the path to bankruptcy Forge World can lead to.

Just to clarify, when I said I had "no knowledge of 30K" I mean the Horus Heresy tabletop rules set. I'm pretty up to speed on 30K in general... just not compared to some of the hardcore Dakkas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Fish
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, I figured that's what you meant, I was just trying to save you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiveangels wrote:
Kevin, I figured that's what you meant, I was just trying to save you.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Heresy if you are giving it a whirl. Of course, looking at my two boxes of 30K marines, I have to hope you say it's bloody horrible, or I might end up falling down the rabbit hole too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Johnson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank, when you get the red books, post what you think about them. Like you I've been looking to jump into the 30k rabbit hole. I've played some 40k but find 30k more appealing. And like you, I just play casual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Fish
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys, I will update once I digest the changes and get a game in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiveangels wrote:
I have heard the balance issues are greatly remedied in Horus Heresy era games, and as I was indoctrinated into the game around 1991, the Horus Heresy era was all we played. The current 40k has left me cold years ago, but the many rave reviews for forge worlds "modification" of 7th generation 40k rules has me curious.

This is what I've heard as well.

Conceptually it's easier to balance a game that, at this point, consists almost entirely of "Marines vs. Marines" (with the exception of the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Solar Auxilla) than it is to balance a game with literally dozens of armies (40K).

I've not played 30K, but I definitely hope you have fun.

PS - I like your Blade Runner microbadge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.