Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: So when is the next math trade? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
We went through a period that saw lots of math trades all in a row, and now there are none to be seen.

When is the next one? I've got plenty of stuff to unload that would probably do better in an actual math trade, rather than 1:1.

If there's enough interest, I'll moderate another one. I'd like to see some of the rank limits we'd discussed before, and I'd make them happen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Avatar
I would love to participate in a math trade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to post a UT for a couple of my games, but if a Math Trade is on the horizon, I'll wait for that. Here's to hoping that the quality level rises a bit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Well, I'll wait a bit longer, and if there's as much interest as I expect, I'll post one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Stas wrote:
I was about to post a UT for a couple of my games, but if a Math Trade is on the horizon, I'll wait for that. Here's to hoping that the quality level rises a bit.

My own games for trade aren't great, but I have a few semi-decent ones. I'm almost tempted to visit the thrift store tonight first...I've had some really good luck in the past with those games.

Anyhow, rest assured the "restrictions" will weed out most of the dregs we've seen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Always interested!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Avatar
Is there an optimal number or participants for a math trade?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
jamesdavis wrote:
Is there an optimal number or participants for a math trade?

Let P(n) be a non-negative integer representing the number of participants in a math trade. Let G(p) be the number of games each participant offers for trade.

Assume that G(p) >= P(n) (therefore G(p) is also non-negative).

Let R be the set of games resulting from the math trade. R is also non-negative but can only be zero (rather than undefined) if and only if P(n) > 1.

As G(p) approaches some very large number L, P(n) will also approach the same number; however, P(n) < L for all real numbers when P(n) != G(p).

Therefore, we can assume that for an arbitrarily large L, the optimal number of participants in a math trade T is proportional to G(p) divided by P(n), or a very close approximation A.

Roughly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
This is essentially what I'm thinking for restrictions. I haven't decided on how to work sweeteners yet.


Game rank Number of trades in that range
1-250 unlimited
251-500 10
501-750 7
751-1000 5
1001-1500 4
1501-2000 3
2001-2700 2
2701+ 1


The 2701+ includes unranked games.

Of course, this is complicated by expansions, since they're not ranked. But this is my baseline. I welcome thoughts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Mason
United States
Heyburn
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, I have some trade fodder just sitting in my garage. My wife has been asking me why I have all these games that we never play. I actually have some very good games this time.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
These seem like reasonable restrictions.

I know people have been unhappy with all the Tanga & B&N stuff in the math trades lately, but I'm actually glad about it because I don't have a B&N near me, so I couldn't take advantage of those deals. And I've missed a lot of the Tanga stuff.

So from my point of view, the more copies of Niagara in the math trade, the better for me! cool

Indeed. Tell ya what: Send me a nice GG bribe, and I'll allow unlimited Niagaras and RoboRallys (the game I've been trying to get). Just don't tell anyone...it's a good thing I put this into a GeekMail so it doesn't get seen.




Oops.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Avatar
I didnt understand a bloody thing about the participants but ill smile and nod. shake

I think its fine with the rank restriction.

will this be an american only thing or is it open ti us internationals.

james
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
jamesdavis wrote:
will this be an american only thing or is it open ti us internationals.

I believe it should be up to the person trading the game as to whether they'll ship internationally.

Personally, I will always do so, up to a certain dollar amount.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions should be ranked with their base game. Yeah, they're not all the same quality, but close enough. The point is to cut out the cruft, not to create a complicated ruleset that's difficult to follow to no useful end.

Posters listing expansions should list the rank of the base game when they post the expansion. Anyone lying (not just making a mistake) should have all of their items removed from the list. Then, rely on other participants to check that the rankings are correct, and assume that between them, the high penalty for cheating, and the unlikelihood of anyone attempting to cheat anyway, that no one will slip through - or very few, at least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
dyfrgi wrote:
Expansions should be ranked with their base game. Yeah, they're not all the same quality, but close enough. The point is to cut out the cruft, not to create a complicated ruleset that's difficult to follow to no useful end.

Posters listing expansions should list the rank of the base game when they post the expansion. Anyone lying (not just making a mistake) should have all of their items removed from the list. Then, rely on other participants to check that the rankings are correct, and assume that between them, the high penalty for cheating, and the unlikelihood of anyone attempting to cheat anyway, that no one will slip through - or very few, at least.

I like this (all of it). And you're right--I don't want to make things complicated, so your suggestion ought to work out fine.

That said, I might allow for an exception to the numbers if expansions are included as sweeteners to the base game. My thinking is that Arkham Horror + Dunwich Horror is "one" game, for example... So, you could do that, and it would only count as one game for ranking purposes. (Although in this case it'd be irrelevant, since AH is in the top 250 anyway.)

Thoughts on that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:
If there's enough interest, I'll moderate another one.

"If you run it, they will come... and trade... a lot..."



Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--"TEO"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:
This is essentially what I'm thinking for restrictions. I haven't decided on how to work sweeteners yet.

Of course, this is complicated by expansions, since they're not ranked. But this is my baseline. I welcome thoughts.

Meh. I don't like restrictions, especially now that there are no limitations imposed by the software. (Fun restrictions are different, well because they are fun.)

Dreft usually trades for Dreft. Good usually trades for Good. I've seen plenty of both in an unrestricted trade. Sure there will be more "low" end games when you have no restrictions.

You know what, I actually like some of those lower end games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Avatar
carl67lp wrote:
jamesdavis wrote:
will this be an american only thing or is it open ti us internationals.

I believe it should be up to the person trading the game as to whether they'll ship internationally.

Personally, I will always do so, up to a certain dollar amount.

sounds great to me. count me definatly in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Regai wrote:
carl67lp wrote:
This is essentially what I'm thinking for restrictions. I haven't decided on how to work sweeteners yet.

Of course, this is complicated by expansions, since they're not ranked. But this is my baseline. I welcome thoughts.

Meh. I don't like restrictions, especially now that there are no limitations imposed by the software. (Fun restrictions are different, well because they are fun.)

Dreft usually trades for Dreft. Good usually trades for Good. I've seen plenty of both in an unrestricted trade. Sure there will be more "low" end games when you have no restrictions.

You know what, I actually like some of those lower end games.

I like them too. Heck, Killer Bunnies is ranked pretty low, but it's a favorite of mine.

You do raise a good point though. The crap tends to weed itself out. I'll tell you what: Someone around here had some good stats on what traded in previous math trades. Can that person (or someone else) give me an idea of the percentages traded in various types of trades, and what (if any) restrictions there were?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested, although I'm still waiting on the games I'm supposed to get for the last math trade that finalized two weeks ago.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:
That said, I might allow for an exception to the numbers if expansions are included as sweeteners to the base game. My thinking is that Arkham Horror + Dunwich Horror is "one" game, for example... So, you could do that, and it would only count as one game for ranking purposes. (Although in this case it'd be irrelevant, since AH is in the top 250 anyway.)

Thoughts on that?

Definitely agreed. A game + expansion for that game should count as one item. This should still be true if there are multiple expansions, of course.

regai wrote:
Meh. I don't like restrictions, especially now that there are no limitations imposed by the software. (Fun restrictions are different, well because they are fun.)

This is even more true with Jeff's wantlist creation software. Before that, every additional item added more load to people making their wantlists than it does now. Now, the additional time taken to check one more item is minimal, and it's much easier to create wantlists while people are still adding items to be traded.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Gervais
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ready when you are.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:
Expansions should be ranked with their base game. Yeah, they're not all the same quality, but close enough. The point is to cut out the cruft, not to create a complicated ruleset that's difficult to follow to no useful end.

Posters listing expansions should list the rank of the base game when they post the expansion. Anyone lying (not just making a mistake) should have all of their items removed from the list. Then, rely on other participants to check that the rankings are correct, and assume that between them, the high penalty for cheating, and the unlikelihood of anyone attempting to cheat anyway, that no one will slip through - or very few, at least.

I concur. The unranked expansions ought to be ranked the same as their base game for MT purposes.

The note about the base game ranking in the listing is brilliant. That is the sort of small detail which I hadn't thought of.

My only question is: For "ranked" expansions, will their rank stand? Or will they be allowed to be included under the base game rank?

All in all, this will increase the inclusion of a wider variety of items to place on want lists. We did see a lot of the same games for several MTs in a row. This may help.

Am I the only gamer who is looking mostly for expansions to fill out a collection of base games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:
jamesdavis wrote:
will this be an american only thing or is it open ti us internationals.

I believe it should be up to the person trading the game as to whether they'll ship internationally.

Personally, I will always do so, up to a certain dollar amount.


I am all over a new math trade. Please, please make this a rule! For example. "Must be will to ship world wide" With the trader able to set a dollar amount etc.

Looking forward to a new Math Trade!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:
Dreft usually trades for Dreft. Good usually trades for Good. I've seen plenty of both in an unrestricted trade. Sure there will be more "low" end games when you have no restrictions.


This is true; however, when people look at the list and see pages and pages of lower ranked games, they are less likely to add those from the top shelf. Matters not, I'll participate with or without restrictions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |