Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Moransard
Netherlands
Amsterdam
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of issues came up in our game last night, also concerning the sin ayers turn.
As I understand it he can play 2 sin cards:
- During active players turn
- as a reaction to active players turn
Is this correct?

Also, because the rulebook keeps mentioning Sins reaction is to another player. Is combat against active player mandatory for the sin player or can you choose, as a reaction, to just move 1 monster on the other side of the board (that had nothing to do with the active player), and choose to not make an attack?

(I also find it a pity that the controller is so expendable (oh, he's dead? Ah well, he'll be back at end of round) ), but that's another discussion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fillem wrote:
A couple of issues came up in our game last night, also concerning the sin ayers turn.
As I understand it he can play 2 sin cards:
- During active players turn
- as a reaction to active players turn
Is this correct?

Not unless they changed it from the beta rulebook which said (on both p16 and p24) that only 1 Sin Card may be played each turn (i.e. players turn & the Sin reaction to the players turn).

fillem wrote:
Also, because the rulebook keeps mentioning Sins reaction is to another player. Is combat against active player mandatory for the sin player or can you choose, as a reaction, to just move 1 monster on the other side of the board (that had nothing to do with the active player), and choose to not make an attack?

Ignoring possible card play, as a reaction you may do one or both of:
- Move any 1 monster up to 2 spaces (obeying usual movement restrictions, so not moving from space containing a player)
- Attack the current player with monsters on their space.

It is not mandatory to attack the active player as a reaction, but you may not attack any other player.

So you could move a monster on the other side of the board, and choose not to attack (or even choose to attack with a different monster already on the same space as the active hero).

fillem wrote:
(I also find it a pity that the controller is so expendable (oh, he's dead? Ah well, he'll be back at end of round) ), but that's another discussion)

Yes but, I guess if the Sin's right hand monster on Earth gets killed, another one gets promoted to be his new right hand monster. And gets granted with extra power by the Sin as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Moransard
Netherlands
Amsterdam
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guess we've been playing it right.
It just feels a little "off" that you react to a player by moving a monster that had nothing to do with the active player, takes a little getting used to I guess.
It also makes the "monster piling" or "turtling" a more viable tactic, but again, that's for another thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fillem wrote:

Dave is correct on all points.

Also, I wanted to point out that the only thing special about the Controller, which makes him a bit less expendable, is that the Sin Decks have special cards that you may only use in conjunction with the Controller -- So, while he's dead, that card is effectively blank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
fillem wrote:

Dave is correct on all points.

Also, I wanted to point out that the only thing special about the Controller, which makes him a bit less expendable, is that the Sin Decks have special cards that you may only use in conjunction with the Controller -- So, while he's dead, that card is effectively blank!

The other thing about the controller is that he cannot be targeted by the orbital laser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fillem wrote:
It just feels a little "off" that you react to a player by moving a monster that had nothing to do with the active player, takes a little getting used to I guess.

I don't follow this point. Could you elaborate on this a bit more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Moransard
Netherlands
Amsterdam
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:
fillem wrote:

Because the Sins players turn is described as a "reaction to the active player", not actually doing something to that player (eg:engaging in combat or moving a monster towards him), feels off.
In stead, as a reaction to the active player, I can move a monster somewhere completely unrelated to that player. That took a little getting used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fillem wrote:
icarusmustburn wrote:
fillem wrote:

Because the Sins players turn is described as a "reaction to the active player", not actually doing something to that player (eg:engaging in combat or moving a monster towards him), feels off.
In stead, as a reaction to the active player, I can move a monster somewhere completely unrelated to that player. That took a little getting used to.

So it seems off that you can plan against the next player in addition to attacking the active player to whom you are reacting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
JudgementDave wrote:

fillem wrote:

- Move any 1 monster up to 2 spaces (obeying usual movement restrictions, so not moving from space containing a player)

It is not mandatory to attack the active player as a reaction, but you may not attack any other player.

So you could move a monster on the other side of the board, and choose not to attack (or even choose to attack with a different monster already on the same space as the active hero).

The attack action is not optional. If the sin player chooses to react and there is a monster in the active heroes square, it must attack the hero. This is quite useful for shooters who have some gear or teammates in the square. Move into a space with a monster, kill a target at range, then kill the monster in your square. And if the sin does not react, then you have locked down a monster from moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
The attack action is not optional. If the sin player chooses to react and there is a monster in the active heroes square, it must attack the hero. This is quite useful for shooters who have some gear or teammates in the square. Move into a space with a monster, kill a target at range, then kill the monster in your square. And if the sin does not react, then you have locked down a monster from moving.

No, the rules say that "the Sin player may Start a Fight with the Hero". The word "may" implies a choice. It does not say anywhere in the rules that they must start a fight (if able).

Attacking by the Sin player is entirely optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Moransard
Netherlands
Amsterdam
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:

fillem wrote:

This would make sense to me but the manual does read like it's completely optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
fillem wrote:
Krushhhhh wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:

fillem wrote:

This would make sense to me but the manual does read like it's completely optional.

When you attack a monster with a shooter, and don't kill that monster, it is required for the monster to move into the shooters square and attack it if possible. This is a separate item from the sin reaction, but this is where the monster attacking is required. With the sin player's reaction, they can choose to move any monster, and choose whether or not to attack it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Moransard
Netherlands
Amsterdam
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And they can also to choose to:
- move monster A
- attack with monster B (attack active player)

The "free" attack when a monster moves after its been shot is something we forgot as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fillem wrote:
And they can also to choose to:
- move monster A
- attack with monster B (attack active player)

The "free" attack when a monster moves after its been shot is something we forgot as well.

I think we played this correctly actually. A well. Next game, we'll try again with a better understanding of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.