$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Sword & Spear: Wargames Rules for Ancient and Medieval Battles» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Romans vs Celts AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Larsen
United States
Santa Clara
Utah
flag msg tools
I had such great plans for this OverText, but then I forgot what they were...
badge
This is a fearsome fisherman viking.
mbmbmbmbmb
After more than two years I finally received my GripMat, which I had Kickstarted back in 2014. I've been putting off playing Sword & Spear (other than an initial test play of the game back when I first bought the rules) until I got the GripMat, since miniatures gaming is why I bought the thing in the first place. After a brief (way too brief, it turns out) refresher of the rules I set up the GripMat, terrain, and armies (300 points each), then gave a quick summary of the rules to my daughter, who was to be my opponent. She chose to play the Early Imperial Romans, and I played a Celt army.

The initial layout of the terrain and armies. The Celts were supposed to burst through the forest in a dramatic ambush, but it didn't turn out so well for them in the end...

The Celtic center of cavalry and skirmishers advanced and met the Roman center, and were quickly routed by the Roman veteran legionaries and a unit of auxiliary archers that were particularly accurate. The Celtic warriors on the left advanced through the woods, but a group of Roman legionaries and auxilia were ready for them and stopped them cold. On the right a unit of Roman slingers, backed up by a unit of auxilia, gained the high ground of a large hill and started raining stones down on the Celtic warriors in the valley below, while the Roman cavalry routed a unit of Celtic javelinmen who had occupied a smaller hill. All in all it was a huge success for the Roman army, who only lost a single unit.

The Roman commander rejoicing over a decisive Roman victory. A triumph is no doubt in this commander's future upon returning to Rome.

We played fast and loose with the rules, partly because I didn't take enough time to commit them to memory well enough, and partly because I wanted to maintain my daughter's interest by not stopping to look up rules all the time. I'm sure this is a major reason the battle was so lopsided, given the roughly equal army values. Even so, we both had a great time, and my daughter said she'd like to play it again sometime. I'd count that as a win, even if my army didn't win!

Equipment
Playmat: GripMat - Grass, 24"x48"
Foam Terrain: Basic Terrainer set from War Zone Gaming Terrain Systems (Terran scape, scale 04)
Miniatures: 6mm Early Imperial Romans and Celts from Baccus, mounted on 60mm x 30mm bases
Measuring stick and tokens: Charlie Foxtrot Models (custom ordered in 30mm size)
Dice Tray: Custom Leather Dice Trays by Nezran
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A good AAR, well-photographed. I particularly appreciate your including sources at the end for mat, terrain, figures, and play aids.

The Roman Commander, I must say, is as H.G. Wells stated so well in "Little Wars": "A woman of the better sort"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Larsen
United States
Santa Clara
Utah
flag msg tools
I had such great plans for this OverText, but then I forgot what they were...
badge
This is a fearsome fisherman viking.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your feedback! I always wonder where people get their custom supplies, so I figured it would be helpful to someone to list what I've accumulated over the years.

I certainly agree that my daughter is of the better sort! laugh As we were putting the game away she commented how I have a lot of fun wargames, and when I lamented that I didn't get to play them very often due to not having a regular gaming partner she said "Well now you have someone to play these games with!" It was a proud, joyful moment indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.