10 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Monoblack Bone Collector Rush rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I accidentally developed a tier 1 rush strategy in a Black vs Green game I had with a friend. I plan on refining it in future games but here is how it goes:

Get a graveyard on the table, you will need it to add gas. Everything else from the starter is pretty fluid and matchup dependent. Tech in 2x bone collector right away. Then tech in 2x SoulStones.

The synergy with souldstone+bone collector is very strong. They always want to attack to generate skeletons, soulstones give them +1+1 and also let them suicide once and still remain alive generating you a ton of advantage. Once a collector finally does die, he goes to the graveyard letting you re-cast it. This puts immense pressure on the opponent.

Never go tech 2, instead make a heroes hall and start teching in tons of hero spells. Garth's Doom Grasp is obviously very good with all the free skeletons you are making. Orpaals sickness/spreading plague combo is very strong as well.

Another good side effect is that you will usually have some skeleton blockers defending your heroes so they are likely to survive at max-band for a good while.

I also found twilight barons very good for this rush, since you aren't even going tech 2 their disability doesn't hinder you. Soulstones on Baron makes a strong 5/5 overpower units pretty early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Soul stoned twilight barons also felt natural and useful to me. I didn't see the combo with bone collectors, though.

Thanks for the inspiration for the upcoming PBF tournament on the Sirlin games forums.

I am a bit surprised that you didn't mention skeletal archery. What's up with that?

Also, hooded executioners can be very useful for some surgical strikes on units you simply can't get to, otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reputable Newsman and Assimilate deny you Soul Stone and Graveyard.

Red color also can just destroy your graveyard without problems. Also, a simple Tower take care of your attacking skeletons.

Your mono green friend should have used Nature's Reclaim to remove your Graveyard from play. And Moment of Peace to prevent your Bone Collector to create skeletons. Tiny Basilisk then can strike your Bone Collectors and/or heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PiHalbe wrote:

I am a bit surprised that you didn't mention skeletal archery. What's up with that?

Also, hooded executioners can be very useful for some surgical strikes on units you simply can't get to, otherwise.

You know I almost always make a worker out of archer... The skeletons are mostly just there to feed Garth or man the patrol zone. But sure if you can get that in, go for it!

Hood Executioner is also good but I was playing vs Green and it seemed like my opponent ALWAYS had a wisp around so I couldn't get that much value from him. Though I encourage you to consider this in other match ups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Reputable Newsman and Assimilate deny you Soul Stone and Graveyard.

Red color also can just destroy your graveyard without problems. Also, a simple Tower take care of your attacking skeletons.

Your mono green friend should have used Nature's Reclaim to remove your Graveyard from play. And Moment of Peace to prevent your Bone Collector to create skeletons. Tiny Basilisk then can strike your Bone Collectors and/or heroes.

You have done a good job listing a few ways to deal with this strategy. I guess the beauty of Codex is it isn't automatic to tech in Assimilate/Nature Relcaim/Momeents peace against black unless you have a reason to see this coming. By the time you see bone collectors and soul stones you will already be several turns behind dealing with it.

Though I guess it is good sense to tech in assimilate/Reclaim as soon as the graveyard shows up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would tech Assimilate and Nature Reclaim against a black starter deck all the time because there is the graveyard and skeletal archery into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Well, I would tech Assimilate and Nature Reclaim against a black starter deck all the time because there is the graveyard and skeletal archery into it.

Yeah, I tech Assimilate with Purple on my first turn against several match-ups: to counter Graveyard and Skeletal archery vs Black, Safe Attacking vs White, Battle Suits vs Purple, Rich Earth and Verdant Tree vs Green, etc. In all, I've really never regretted a turn 1 tech of Assimilate as it always seems to be useful.

Plus, I can worker it once I feel is is no longer needed.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Suits and Safe Attacking are both cards that it's often good to play, but also often good to worker asap. And indeed against Future is one of the circumstances when I would be likely not to play them! Vs Black and Green there's a lot of targets, so yes, I can see often bringing in Assimilate first turn. (I imagine your "etc" includes Blue's Jail, which can be very frustrating at every stage of the game.)

Of course, then maybe they expect that from you and decide not to go for those plays... ah, the Codex mind games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I guess graveyard is less powerful vs purple players like you guys! But I think the Collector + Soulstone synergy should still be pretty strong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
Well I guess graveyard is less powerful vs purple players like you guys! But I think the Collector + Soulstone synergy should still be pretty strong!

It is not weak, but it is not strong either. It is equal to pretty much every other Tech I + Buff spell out there.

There are plenty counters to it in every colors. That's what is so nice with Codex, nothing is ultimate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.