Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

This is a former # 1 game on BGG and is currently sitting at # 2. Yes, this game is good, amazing and earns all the accolades. This is an amazing game with an amazing theme that most people are looking for a "grail" game. This one lives up to that with a different approach. There isn't a map to dominate and everything is very abstract.

Instead of giving you a "risk" style game, we get an abstract cube pusher. This was a huge point when the game was released. When Nations stole (er: borrowed) this game to reproduce, it wasn't a huge concern as it was when it was released. A civ game without a board! The horror!

This is a thinking man's game. There are a lot of things to balance and keep straight. You have options on your turn and there are things that will go wrong because of the decisions you made. You need to watch your corruption, but still produce as much as you can. You need workers to work and be available to work, but you also need to keep them happy. This isn't an easy task.

Each turn you have a limited number of actions (this depends on which government you are currently under), these actions are both used to get more cards and to utilize those buildings. You have the option of having different leaders which give you an unique benefit.

This is a heavy game. There are a lot of options on each turn. You have a lot to do and a lot to accomplish. At the same time, you need to protect yourself from other invaders (normally the other players).

Learning this game is tough. I highly recommend having someone teach you this game and be patient with you. The first game should be a learning game. Play two players, talk through options and the cards, and don't let someone try to destroy you. Instead, learn the game and get your options down and how things work together. Then, re-set up the game and start over. Now you can play for keeps.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are good and the third edition is the best. With this edition, we get boards that hold the cubes so they don't move. Huge improvement. The cubes are also nicer in this edition. Otherwise, I'm not a huge fan of the art although it works fine and the icons used are very helpful. At the end of the day, this game plays like a large spreadsheet. The updated art in this game is a lot better than what is used to be, but you are really moving cubes around the board: a lot. And I mean a lot. This doesn't bother me, but some will miss miniatures and the little bells and whistles most games gives you in today's market.

Let me be clear though, what you get is good and the quality is off the charts. It just won't blow your mind compared to what you get in a box usually.

Rule Book:

I understand why the rule book is organized the way it is. Yet, I'm not a huge fan of it. It is broken up into three games to ease you into the game and you can take a few things out of the game if you don't like. My biggest complaint is if you want to play the game that includes everything there isn't one source that includes all of that. As you progress from game 1 to 2 to 3 some rules are changed, so having one rule book with all the rules would have been nice. Otherwise, I think the book is fine but it does hold learning the game back just a tad.

Flow of the Game:

This game has a few different ways to win. There are a lot of different paths to score points and a lot of different combinations and cards.

The gist of the game is that you will acquire cards that will produce points, science, culture, military, etc. Your civilization is represented by these cards. Cubes are then placed on the cards to represent military, stone, iron, workers, etc. This is very abstract.

On a turn, you will use your action points (civil/military) to purchase cards and then utilize actions. There are a lot of things you can do on a turn and I'm not going to discuss them all. For the most part, the cards you purchase will be production buildings (iron/stone/etc), or buildings (temple/university, etc) or leaders (Bill Gates, Socrates) which give you a unique power. These choices you make will direct the future of your civilization. You really need to play up the ability of your civilization and move down a path. At the same time, military can be very important as you don't want the other players to take resources/buildings from you. This isn't a huge "screwage" game, but there are times this can happen.

As the game progresses, the turns get longer and longer as you have more and more buildings and options. This isn't a short game and it can progress on.

Furthermore, you have to watch our for your corruption and that you are able to keep your citizens happy. The more resources you produce and the more workers you have working (the more buildings you have) the harder it is to balance everything. You have to watch all facets of your civilization (through this abstract game).

Should I buy this game?:

This is one of the best civilization games ever produced. It is big; complicated; and a wrecking ball. I have to always recommend this civilization game first. It lacks a map and dudes on that map so some may not like the abstract "spread sheet" feel of the game, but it is that good. Lots of cube pushing, card play, min/maxing going on. This is one you must try. Start with two players and work your way up.

Keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
Rule Book:

I understand why the rule book is organized the way it is. Yet, I'm not a huge fan of it. It is broken up into three games to ease you into the game and you can take a few things out of the game if you don't like. My biggest complaint is if you want to play the game that includes everything there isn't one source that includes all of that. As you progress from game 1 to 2 to 3 some rules are changed, so having one rule book with all the rules would have been nice. Otherwise, I think the book is fine but it does hold learning the game back just a tad.

Surely this is only true of the previous edition? The rulebook for A New Story does not do this at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
william4192 wrote:
Rule Book:

Surely this is only true of the previous edition? The rulebook for A New Story does not do this at all.

Maybe the reviewer only saw the walkthrough and not the Code of Laws?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Leedham
Australia
Croydon Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

Components:

The components are good and the third edition is the best. With this edition, we get boards that hold the cubes so they don't move.

Is this from the New Story, or referring to the original? I haven't seen any boards that hold the cubes physically in place (I'm thinking along the line of dual layer mats like in Scythe)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
william4192 wrote:
Rule Book:

I didn't realize there is two entries for this game on BGG. Why is there two? Never mind. Yes, the new book is better. I learned the game from the original book and only scanned the new book for differences. Sorry for confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ManicD wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Components:

The components are good and the third edition is the best. With this edition, we get boards that hold the cubes so they don't move.

Is this from the New Story, or referring to the original? I haven't seen any boards that hold the cubes physically in place (I'm thinking along the line of dual layer mats like in Scythe)!

No, it isn't as good as Scythe (the components), but mine hold in place much better. The use of cubes vs cylinders? They also don't roll as much either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Estrada
Spain
Toledo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
This is a former # 1 game on BGG and is currently sitting at # 2.

I don't think that this game (either the original version or the new one) has ever been in the #1 spot has it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jestradaineurope wrote:
william4192 wrote:

I don't think that this game (either the original version or the new one) has ever been in the #1 spot has it?

I thought it was number one for a while. Am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stockton
msg tools
mb
william4192 wrote:
jestradaineurope wrote:
william4192 wrote:

This is a very strange review. Do you actually own it? Have you actually played it? Your cubes don't move around on a completely flat piece of paper?

I am calling bull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
patrickstockton wrote:
william4192 wrote:
jestradaineurope wrote:
william4192 wrote:

This is a very strange review. Do you actually own it? Have you actually played it? Your cubes don't move around on a completely flat piece of paper?

I am calling bull

I bought my copy second hand and came with what I'm told is custom made board. I thought it came with the copy but it didnt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
patrickstockton wrote:
william4192 wrote:
jestradaineurope wrote:
william4192 wrote:

I am calling bull

In my second edition, I have these cylinders that used to roll around a lot. I believe this was standard. My third edition has cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
patrickstockton wrote:
william4192 wrote:
jestradaineurope wrote:
william4192 wrote:

I am calling bull

In my second edition, I have these cylinders that used to roll around a lot. I believe this was standard. My third edition has cubes.

Post photos of the game you have.
I'd love to see the custom board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.