11 Posts

Summoner Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Help starting with expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 2009 Summoner Wars Master Set and was looking to start getting some expansions for it. I'm a bit lost as there seems to be a ton of stuff out there, and I don't really know where I should start. What would you guys recommend the best starting point is to build up my collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend the other starter sets. Good bang for the buck there since they both come with two more factions. Then the other faction decks. Then the alliances master set. Then second summoners and end with reinforcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
I'd recommend the other starter sets. Good bang for the buck there since they both come with two more factions. Then the other faction decks. Then the alliances master set. Then second summoners and end with reinforcements.

^This. Or, I might say get all the second summoners before you get the Alliances Master set; however, Alliance will give you a big box to store everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Alliance set is the best storage solution and the best value. Four of decks in are in my top ten summoners (out of 40!), but it is also the most complicated set.

But the safest bet is getting the second summoner for the ones you like the best from the master.

If you download the app (free with IAP) you can try the base deck Phoenix Elves and play against the first Tundra Orcs. So you can see if you want that set.

But what do you like best about Summoner wars, like what mechanics and strategies specifically? What strategies do you like in other miniature or head to head card games? I can recommend a lot based off that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/183427/summoner-wars-prod...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the process of picking up all the Expansion Decks for the First Summoners when the announcement of the release of the Second Summoners was made. I decided then I'd finish the First Summoner line and be done.

There is an enormous amount of replayability in just the First Summoner line (which I've still barely made a serious dent in so far...cool; given the amount of unplayed titles in my collection, I doubt I'll live long enough to fully plumb its depths. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the last eight second summoners and the Alliances Master Set are the best content. They have the fewest catch up events and offer the least incentive to kill your own units in order to build your magic while denying the same to your opponent. They are also the most advanced factions, which you can partly discern from the small type and additional text on each card.

The first master set was my starting point, and I loved it so much I bought everything else. That was before most of the second summoners and the Alliances set were in print.

If I were starting in your position, I would go for value and get the Alliances set. Then you'll probably want to fill in the gaps so that you can more fully use the deck-altering options of the Alliances. I don't call it deck-building because your options are limited more than with a CCG or LCG.

That's just my opinion. This question or variants of it get asked all the time, and everyone has their own preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is somewhat a completionist, i don't recommend the Alliances as the next buy. The theme is quite different, plus deck building options becomes a bit crazy after. You can completely ignore deck building, though.

More of the same

Bang for buck, start with the two-faction starter sets, or if you are quite meh on those, single faction packs. Whether first or second summoners, it doesn't matter, choose the ones you like. Want something really nasty? Go for Filth. Want classic goodies and badies? Vanguard and Fallen. Don't like poison tokens? Avoid Jungle Elves second summoner. It's all up to you.

I like having more options, and more summoners and factions makes more varied games.

Intro deck building

If you want to start switching out a few cards, you can do that with second summoners, but the best option is reinforcement packs. This adds lots of options for deck building yet keeps things simple.

Personally, i have left my deck commons the same for each summoner, so i can pick up and play any deck with newbies: there are fewer surprises in either deck. But i've switched in and out some champions, based on synergies and such. If ever i want to deck build seriously, it's fast and easy.

---

I'm probably one of the few Summoner Wars fans who didn't get Alliances. But i do like my factions balanced and somewhat unique, and i like having deck building simple.

That said, many others have raved about it, so if added complexity doesn't scare you, it may be a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bordelon
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Start with some of the second summoners that seem the most interesting or fun to you.

If you like that and need more and are playing alot, can expand out (and may need alliances for the storage box alone).

My favorite second summoners
- Cloaks
- Vanguard
- Fallen Kingdom
- Mountain Vargarth
- Cave Goblins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend focusing on getting all the factions first. Next I would expand the factions which interest you most with second summoners, reinforcements, etc. The alliances are good, but I would wait until you have all the factions (not necessarily all the expansions to all the factions) before getting Alliances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was in a similar delima a couple of weeks ago, so I just went ahead and bought everything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.