Germany
Mettingen
NRW
flag msg tools
VFL Borussia Mönchengladbach 1900
badge
Günter Netzer FUSSBALLGOTT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played three times a two player game. In one game there had not occurred cowboys. Only three in the whole game. Should not discarded some from every faction before the game starts? So that the proportion will be the same at every number of player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is just part of the game. You could say the same thing about Castles or Burgundy's building tiles in a 2p game. It's just a challenge you have to overcome.

As they say in golf, "play it where it lies."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
I think that is just part of the game. You could say the same thing about Castles or Burgundy's building tiles in a 2p game. It's just a challenge you have to overcome.

As they say in golf, "play it where it lies."

As in CoB I think a variant is helpful for those who like the predictability of the 4p game when playing at fewer numbers. What I do in CoB is to randomly select which tiles will not be coming into the game and flip them face up before the game starts. This way players can plan for what IS in the game.

A similar thing would work here. Or as the OP suggests just evening out the distribution would also work. Although that leads to more games that are similar, so whatever you prefer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with 4 players, they might not come out evenly. But I think that's part of the game. The more persons of one type there are, the better this strategy works. So you have to adapt your strategy.
However, if you don't like this, you can sort some out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same holds for tipis and hazards: in a 4p game, you can be sure that there will be e.g. green tipis to take (though you may never catch one because of other players' actions). In a 2p game, there may be no green tipi at all to fulfill your objective card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
Same holds for tipis and hazards: in a 4p game, you can be sure that there will be e.g. green tipis to take (though you may never catch one because of other players' actions). In a 2p game, there may be no green tipi at all to fulfill your objective card.

But why is this a problem? It's more interesting when you can't be 100% sure what you may see. It forces you to adapt and try things you didn't expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LCG 74160
msg tools
mb
Legend5555 wrote:
But why is this a problem?

IMHO, this is not a problem per se.

It makes the game different with less players as you get more uncertainties from the tiles you draw. Some may like this difference, others won't like it.

It is easy to remove some tiles with smaller player counts to get a more consistent player experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
DocCool wrote:

But why is this a problem?
I didn't call it a problem. But there are many players who will find that some sort of minimum balance between tile types is desirable, and for those I wanted to point out that just sorting out worker tiles is not enough - they will have to do it for tipis and hazards too.

Personally, I'd probably prefer a mixed offer of workers over a mono-thematic game (only Engineers? Guess we better all move around the bend), as it allows player decisions instead of railroading (pun intended ) the game. But then I haven't been in the situation, so I might actually find it an interesting challenge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Eine wunderbare Heiterkeit hat meine ganze Seele eingenommen, gleich den süßen Frühlingsmorgen, die ich mit ganzem Herzen genieße. Ich bin allein und freue mich meines Lebens in dieser Gegend, die für solche Seelen geschaffen ist wie die meine.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. Maybe you could develop a variant where in a 2 player game you put out tiles for 4 players (just dubble KC phases 1-3). Each time you take an employee, teepee or hazard you discard another one from the same row/region.

I haven't played two player yet, but this might work, wouldn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see: there are 12 rows for workers, so in a 2p game 24 workers will come into the game. There are 18 of each type of worker, so even in a 2p game you're guaranteed to get at least two worker types in game - but they may come very late, and at least in case of Engineers, very late probably means too late. robot

Even a 3p game could finish with just two worker types in the game, but that's just a theoretical option.

I'm too lazy to count how many teepees are in stack 1 and how many are in stack 3 (and how many workers are in stack 3), but between hazards in stack 1 and workers in stack 3 there seems to be a decent probability to see very few teepees in a 2p game, though at least one should come up: there are 18 hazards, and 7 would be placed initially + 11 placed during deliveries to KC; so at least one teepee would be placed even in the fastest 2p game (which takes 11 deliveries with only workers in stack 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LCG 74160
msg tools
mb
lcg74160 wrote:
It is easy to remove some tiles with smaller player counts to get a more consistent player experience.

After a bit of number crunching, I drafted a variant to try to preserve the player experience with lower player counts.

I have posted it in the Variants forum: Less tiles when playing with 2 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.