Subject: Need help obtaining materials and info please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone

I've always wanted to but never played this game before. I ended up finding a copy today in a local Good Will store. Unfortunately for me it's the German version.

I checked the components and it seems I'm missing a fair amount of cubes. I posted in the spare parts list as well, so between there and here I hope to find some help.

I'm writing here to ask for some more specific info. Obviously I need to make some paste ups for the cards. I would like to keep the original artwork and not mess it up. I didn't see anything in the files section that has images of the English cards. I was hoping to just print them off and inset them into sleeves.

Another option is I might try to contact the publisher and see if I can order cards and cubes from them. Would Rio Grande be the one to talk to?

If I don't get help from the publisher I am wondering if anyone knows where I can order cubes online (2 of the large for red and blue, 21 of the small for both green and yellow)

Should I even bother with this game? I know they have the Big Box which might be the way to go. I don't know if the expansions for this game are essential or not.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted anderson
United States
southington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Hey everyone

I've always wanted to but never played this game before. I ended up finding a copy today in a local Good Will store. Unfortunately for me it's the German version.

I checked the components and it seems I'm missing a fair amount of cubes. I posted in the spare parts list as well, so between there and here I hope to find some help.

I'm writing here to ask for some more specific info. Obviously I need to make some paste ups for the cards. I would like to keep the original artwork and not mess it up. I didn't see anything in the files section that has images of the English cards. I was hoping to just print them off and inset them into sleeves.

Another option is I might try to contact the publisher and see if I can order cards and cubes from them. Would Rio Grande be the one to talk to?

If I don't get help from the publisher I am wondering if anyone knows where I can order cubes online (2 of the large for red and blue, 21 of the small for both green and yellow)

Should I even bother with this game? I know they have the Big Box which might be the way to go. I don't know if the expansions for this game are essential or not.

Thanks for the help.

The game is a modern classic. If you paid very little for it, then it could be worth making into a playable copy, as opposed to buying the Big Box. The expansions are no essential and according to some, bog the game down. The basic game is usually best, in other words.

As for the cards, Rio Grande may have some old stock left parts-wise, so it's certainly worth writing them a message. Z-Man is in charge of the game now and may not be as forthcoming with pieces. As for cubes, they're just cubes. MeepleSource may have them, or even old Risk sets (though, they aren't actual square cubes, more rectangular). As for the big cube, you can replace that with Meeples from Carcassonne or another game that would have those colors. Plus it might work a little better thematically too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it - I've got a German copy which is pasted up with the info from here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/49141/english-card-te...

Just used plain old glue and laminated my cards to avoid need for sleeving.

The beauty of the game is that only five cards are ever in play at one time, they're all open information, and one of them is always the same. So even if you don't want to sleeve, all you have to do is memorise the use of four cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning components, there are tons of cubes and stuff in the BGG store (at least the small ones), and you can find lots of sellers on ebay etc. Also, you can replace the cubes with something a little more interesting should you want. Nobody says they HAVE to be cubes :)

Now, should you bother with the game? Absolutely! It's a gem, and it's one of the few that works great with all player counts. In my opinion, the expansions are definitely not essential, the base game is great as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can probably get a down load of the English rules. The rules have the cards and their text completely. So you could make your paste overs from that information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be willing to replace the cubes (large and small) with an alternative. What have other people done? It has to fit in the cube tower though I suppose.

As for the cards I'll contact Rio Grande and see if they can help. If not I'll settle for a summary sheet written in English. I'll probably only be playing this game with gamers anyway and they;re people who don't mind looking at an english translation as opposed to the card itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Hey everyone

Thanks for the help.

Hiya I've made some english cards for the german game - i scanned the originals, then added english text using GIMP, printed off + sleeved them. They look pretty good imo.

I want to post my file to bgg, but i am not sure whether i am allowed to.

If someone can help me, i would love to upload the files, and save other ppl the effort i had to go to.
The game is fantastic btw!
Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should just be able to upload them to the files section here. Or are you talking about doing it legally? I'm not sure if that would violate any policies or anything. I don't see why not. I assume everyone downloading it already owns the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
You should just be able to upload them to the files section here. Or are you talking about doing it legally? I'm not sure if that would violate any policies or anything. I don't see why not. I assume everyone downloading it already owns the game.

Thats what i mean - legally is it ok?
I totally agree that the file would be useless without the game itself, since there are many other components.
Any advice appreciated.
Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So i was at the same goodwill today and i found another copy of el grande. Again it is in German... There must have been a sale around here at one time this time the game was complete.

I have since found some of the cubes i was missing in the other copy. All i need is a set of 31 yellow small cubes and a red and blue larger cube.

If anyone has extras they can part with i could pay u for them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.