Subject: Who needs income anyway? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this a lot the last week or two, and am starting to get a feel for how things work. All my games have been with one opponent, or solo.

So what do you need silver for in this game? Not much. There are a few spaces on the action board that require a silver payment to use them, but really only cows cost more than a coin or two. The only other thing you need a bunch of silver for (aside from plugging gaps in your boards - more on that later) is emigration - and then only if you leave them until later in the game.

I'm currently of the opinion that income isn't that big of a deal in A Feast For Odin. Obviously it's nice to get 18 points at the end of the game for filling your whole home board but in my last few games my income never exceeded 2, and I scored higher than when I ended the game with 18 final income. There are a lot of blank spaces in the bottom left of that home board that can be quite awkward to fill in such a way as to legally add to your income, and that's a lot of moves and tiles used that aren't cancelling negative points. And though they do increase your income slowly you also end up using quite a bit of that income filling in those blank spaces to get more income.

The thing I'm doing differently now is that I'm not bothering trying to fill in the bottom left corner of the home board where there are no negative points. I do get a 2x2 tile on there as soon as possible to increase my income to 2 then I just save up green/blue/special tiles to put them down at the end of the game over the negative point areas.

I'm not sure if early emigrations are required (I suspect they are) in order to get a decent score this way but I've also been making a point of trying to get three emigrations done no later than round 4. This obviously bags a lot of endgame points early on, and results in less feeding required through the rest of the game.

I suspect this strategy would be even more effective if I could squeeze in an exploration tile with an income track on it to make up for the low income on the home board, which I'll try next time I play, but for now keeping your income low and saving your tiles for later seems like a decent way to go about things in this game.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of scores are you typically getting? If you can max out Income early, it not only helps contribute to your score almost twice, but can be used to fill out other boards or help emigrate in the later rounds of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
The "construct a boat" actions are complete garbage. Every boat purchased with silver is a savings of 2-4 vikings (counting the vikings need to gather wood). At the very least you can max out your whaling boats for highly efficient whaling actions. And I probably place far more silver onto exploration boards than I should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting strategy; I'm definitely going to try that out.

Also, I've been meaning to mention for a while now: Love that avatar of yours!! Such a great little film, and a perfect reference for board gamers, especially those who enjoy solo games. laugh

For anyone else reading this, if haven't seen "Geri's Game", do yourself a favor and spend five minutes here: https://vimeo.com/127698740

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Nelson
msg tools
Interesting... I've made quite the opposite observation. So far, the games with the highest score I've had, have all been with early exploration board for the extra income.

My interpetation of silver is that they sort of act as a "wildcard", and the earlier you get a decent income the more rounds you have to utilize these wildcards. They, alone represent 1 point each, but if you can use them in an effective manner they are worth even more than that. 8 silver for an 8 point longship might seem a bit redundant, but you can also view it as you trading in a bit of your income for 3 wood and 3 vikings (equivalent to the action space required to build a longship). So after the purchase you've effectivly traded 8 silver for 8 points, 3 wood and 3 vikings, to utilize anyway you want for even more points.

And the silver is also a welcome friend those times where I've found myself rly rly needing to cover up 2-3 stray tiles on an exploration board to unlock the next income level or a bonus good. Once again, these 2-3 points could represent even more points depending on how early you use them on the boards. (Of course, you might argue that this use of silver is only to cover up my own mistakes, and an experienced player might never need to use those 2-3 silvers because they have a more effective board placement in the first place.

I've only played 5-6 games tho, but this is my observation so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charmiggnu wrote:
Interesting... I've made quite the opposite observation. So far, the games with the highest score I've had, have all been with early exploration board for the extra income.

My interpetation of silver is that they sort of act as a "wildcard", and the earlier you get a decent income the more rounds you have to utilize these wildcards. They, alone represent 1 point each, but if you can use them in an effective manner they are worth even more than that. 8 silver for an 8 point longship might seem a bit redundant, but you can also view it as you trading in a bit of your income for 3 wood and 3 vikings (equivalent to the action space required to build a longship). So after the purchase you've effectivly traded 8 silver for 8 points, 3 wood and 3 vikings, to utilize anyway you want for even more points.

And the silver is also a welcome friend those times where I've found myself rly rly needing to cover up 2-3 stray tiles on an exploration board to unlock the next income level or a bonus good. Once again, these 2-3 points could represent even more points depending on how early you use them on the boards. (Of course, you might argue that this use of silver is only to cover up my own mistakes, and an experienced player might never need to use those 2-3 silvers because they have a more effective board placement in the first place.

I've only played 5-6 games so far tho, but this is my observation so far.

This matches my experience with the game. I highly HIGHLY prioritize income and agressively place silver on my boards to continue increasing it and getting bonuses. For instance, if you fill up your main board in 5 turns (ignoring exploration boards) then you will net 54 points just from the silver gained, not to mention the utility of placing/spending it.

Focusing on income isn't the only way to do well but it certainly is a very strong strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played another solo game using the same strategy as before. I had the emigration occupation card at the start of this game, so I delayed emigrating ships until this was in play. I didn't do any exploring to add extra income - I can't figure out how to do that effectively.

The final score was 110 points this time round. Here's an image of the final board state:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Nelson
msg tools
I was intrigued enough to actually make my own go at your strategy in a sologame, and rushed for the 3 income on the homeboard asap, and then never touch it again until the last round. But I made it into sort of a hybrid spin of my previous strategies by rushing for Bear Island as soon as it came available, and then managed to unlock the 5 income on the board in the same round.

That way I had a steady income of 8 for the remainder of the game, and, amongst other, bought 2 longships and 3 emigrations (in the last 3 rounds) with the silver. Also managed to sneak in a Labrador board and a longhouse, and in the end got a personal best with 127 using this strategy.

I still think I value income too much to not go for an exploration board even when using your strategy, but it's a really interesting take on the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
The "construct a boat" actions are complete garbage. Every boat purchased with silver is a savings of 2-4 vikings (counting the vikings need to gather wood). At the very least you can max out your whaling boats for highly efficient whaling actions. And I probably place far more silver onto exploration boards than I should.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.