Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Rules

Subject: Minions attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Skelton
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

I have a question about taking damage during the minions attack phase.

Say I take a damage card and it says "move left 2 spaces" then I am beside a new minion. Do I take another card?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You compute how much damage you take from minions and then you draw it all even if things change while you're applying the damage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Chan
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, you only count the damages taken during the initial minions attack.

For example, during the minion attack phase, there are two minions adjacent to your mech. This means you took damage and will need to draw two damage cards (think of it as both minions attacking your mech at the same time). However, you resolve the 2 damage cards in order.

If the first card requires you to move the mech to another spot (next to another minion), you won't take any damage from the new minion. However, you still need to resolve the second damage card that was dealt initially.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Nope - minion attacks only happen once during the attack phase. At the start of the phase you'd count up how many minions are adjacent to you and then draw that many cards, executing them in the order you got them. Keep in mind that this applies to attacks from minions only - if a damage card you drew sent you into an environment obstacle (like a spiked wall or lava pool), you would unfortunately take more damage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Skelton
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
Great! Thanks everyone, this is what how we thought but just needed to be sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very confused to read all these replies because I didn't think any of them are correct.

Page 5 of the rulebook under Executing Damage Cards wrote:
Always draw and fully process Damage Card one at a time and in player order.



If a Mech ends his turn with 3 minions around him... and his first damage drawn moves him 2 spaces... he would then only take more if his new space had minion in it.

This is the same concept as the uses of Fuel Tank. If after the first minion attacks you... you decide to explode the Fuel Tank the other minions that were adjacent to you no longer do their damage. (Since they're dead.)

To answer the OP: The answer is Yes. You resolve each damage card one at a time. If one leads you into more minions... you would take more damage. If moving 2 spaces would have moved away from minions that would have damaged him ... then he no longer takes the damage he would have.


PS: A Post thought. It all depends on the reading of "One at a time."

Does "One at a time" refer to both Draw and Resolve (As I think it does) ... or just Resolve (which all other posts seems to do.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rent13579 wrote:
If a Mech ends his turn with 3 minions around him... and his first damage drawn moves him 2 spaces... he would then only take more if his new space had minion in it.


Wrong. Here's one "official" answer: Re: Order of minions attack..

Quote:
This is the same concept as the uses of Fuel Tank. If after the first minion attacks you... you decide to explode the Fuel Tank the other minions that were adjacent to you no longer do their damage. (Since they're dead.)


Wrong again. Damage is simultaneous. The reason that Fuel Tank prevents all damage is that the designers said it prevents all damage. It's not because damage is sequential.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rent13579 wrote:
I'm very confused to read all these replies because I didn't think any of them are correct.

Page 5 of the rulebook under Executing Damage Cards wrote:
Always draw and fully process Damage Card one at a time and in player order.



If a Mech ends his turn with 3 minions around him... and his first damage drawn moves him 2 spaces... he would then only take more if his new space had minion in it.

This is the same concept as the uses of Fuel Tank. If after the first minion attacks you... you decide to explode the Fuel Tank the other minions that were adjacent to you no longer do their damage. (Since they're dead.)

To answer the OP: The answer is Yes. You resolve each damage card one at a time. If one leads you into more minions... you would take more damage. If moving 2 spaces would have moved away from minions that would have damaged him ... then he no longer takes the damage he would have.


No, it has been stated in other threads. The quote you underlined is referencing the players, not the cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Wrong. Here's one "official" answer: Re: Order of minions attack..


Ahh - Thank you for this reference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The reason that Fuel Tank prevents all damage is that the designers said it prevents all damage. It's not because damage is sequential.


Just clarifying then... if 3 minions are around a Mech (drawing 3 damage cards) and Mech decides to prevent first card resolved with Fuel tank... the other 2 damage still occurs?

In other words... it is only the designers that say it prevent ALL damage or a rule somewhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrap my clarification question...

Following the rules on Fuel Tank prevents ALL damage because it explodes BEFORE and INSTEAD of damage cards being dealt.

Thank you.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rent13579 wrote:
Scrap my clarification question...

Following the rules on Fuel Tank prevents ALL damage because it explodes BEFORE and INSTEAD of damage cards being dealt.

Thank you.


The only problem being the card says it is discarded instead of drwing 'a damage card' which implies it only blocks one, but the devs have made their position clear in this particular case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
The only problem being the card says it is discarded instead of drwing 'a damage card' which implies it only blocks one, but the devs have made their position clear in this particular case.


I agree. Fuel Tank would read better if it said:

If about to take damage, you may scrap this Fuel Take card stack...

(I would then see it happening before damage is dealt and removing damage sources.)


And along the same line, Skewer needs to read:

You may scrap this minion instead of drawing a damage card.


This would then imply it blocks ONE damage instead of all.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.