Day Life
msg tools
Avatar
There was a lot of mixed opinions about the large map that came with the kickstarter. Basically everyone loved playing on it, but most people thought the printing was subpar with dull muted colours and a deep reddish brown tint to the art.

I saw that Academy Games have the large map available a pre-order. Dose anyone know if this is the same exact map, or if it is an actual reprint with new colours / printing?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
There was a lot of mixed opinions about the large map that came with the kickstarter. Basically everyone loved playing on it, but most people thought the printing was subpar with dull muted colours and a deep reddish brown tint to the art.

I saw that Academy Games have the large map available a pre-order. Dose anyone know if this is the same exact map, or if it is an actual reprint with new colours / printing?

Thanks!

I have no idea .. I hope it's not an improved version of mine though .. surprise
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Avatar
Getaklue wrote:
I have the large map and love it! Never have had any issues with playing on it.


I played on the big map a few times at my mates house and I agree, the map is cool to play on.. especially due to the odd "tiny" original board that this game uses.

That being said this is not about if the Map is "cool" or not, more about if it is an exact printing or if they have fixed the problems with the original map that was nearly universally criticised.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Avatar
It doesn't matter.. .liking it or disliking it.. that has nothing to do with this thread at all.

All I am asking is if the "pre-order" version is the SAME printing as the kickstarter or a different one.

Arguments or comments on the quality of the kicker map, good or bad are completely irrelevant and off topic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There wasn't an actual issue with the printing.

The map that shipped was a different map than was shown during the Kickstarter campaign. Very similar but different graphic design.

This is why, when the giant map showed up, people thought there were problems. It was a lot darker and did not look the same as the one online.

Once you could embrace that it was a slightly different design, it was easy to embrace (because it looks fantastic).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess nobody really knows if the re-print of the big maps is going to vary!

Drammattex wrote:
There wasn't an actual issue with the printing.

The map that shipped was a different map than was shown during the Kickstarter campaign. Very similar but different graphic design.

This is why, when the giant map showed up, people thought there were problems. It was a lot darker and did not look the same as the one online.

Yes indeed. I think it had to do with the fact that the colours had to be converted from RBG colours to a CMY colour palette. The only thing I can can see that could use a little improvement are the seas, which are very dark.

Quote:
Once you could embrace that it was a slightly different design, it was easy to embrace (because it looks fantastic).

Defnitely! Such a HUGE map really plays AWESOME!! cool

You do need a wide table though. Mine is 89cm/2'11" and it's already a bit on the narrow side on the edges.
Luckily I get a bigger table today!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can't do without it. cool

It depends on how much light there is too, because the material reflects light. In murky dim light, the map looks dark. In good light or sunlight, it looks vibrant.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Avatar
Got a response from Academy Games.


The Giant Map is the same in regards to size and shape. We have
asked the printer to lighten the printing by 5% in an effort to
make it more readable.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
Got a response from Academy Games.


The Giant Map is the same in regards to size and shape. We have
asked the printer to lighten the printing by 5% in an effort to
make it more readable.




5% seems so...little.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric
Canada
Gatineau
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, they dare to start a pre-order when we are so ma y in Canada and Europe at least still waiting for our map. And in Germany still waiting for their games... such a reliable and respectful compagny indeed!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ignosis wrote:
The Giant map from Asyncron is top Quality made in France
From Academy Hum! Made in China!
Better if you buy it from Asyncron!
Yep on a thread from tric trac website They talking about an expansion very soon!

Sounds interesting, do you have a picture of the French map?

Is only the quality different - or are the names of the provinces also depicted in French?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
DayinDaLife wrote:
Got a response from Academy Games.


The Giant Map is the same in regards to size and shape. We have
asked the printer to lighten the printing by 5% in an effort to
make it more readable.




5% seems so...little.


5% can be anything from a little to a lot - our eyes perception is non-linear.
A lot - a linear 5% increase in reflectance for dark colors would be massive - 18% reflectance is perceived as a medium shade. (unlikely to be what was done)
Moderate - a 5% increase in lightness (on a scale calibrated for our eyes perception) should lighten things up somewhat across the board without significantly changing the perceived colors. This is probably what was done
A little - a proportional 5% increase in reflectance for light colors wouldn't change the perceived brightness much at all (also unlikely)

unknown - a 5% reduction in ink used would lighten things up by an unknown amount, depending on a large number of factors like how the ink is absorbed by the medium and the base color of the medium.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this map, and the borders in the water do blend in a bit, hopefully the 5% change will fix that, but I doubt it.



If you have the game and like it, I highly suggest you attempt to get the map.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Avatar
wow... is that the new print of the big board? That looks way WAY better!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a much nicer map. LOVE the H/M card spot on the map!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Avatar
Are we sure that is a "section" in the top left for the tiles, or the photo just have the tiles placed there?

Dose anyone own this map to confirm these things?

Teowulff wrote:
are the names of the provinces also depicted in French?


The map is two low rez to really tell... but it looks like they "could" be the same?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Avatar
ignosis wrote:


Got a mail back form the guys at Academy Games...

Email from Academy Games wrote:
The map you are seeing on Board Game Geek in Asyncron's store, is not the same map as our Giant Map. There are many differences, some of which are, that there is no space for the expansion power tiles, our map is made of electrostatic fabric, not mousepad material, and it is in scale with our building set.

We have lightened our map colors in the current printing by 5% for better clarity.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jaquette
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if it's possible to order the Asyncron mousepad map and have it shipped to the USA? The Academy map was a bit too large and costly in my opinion. Any compatiblity issues playing with the English KS version?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LovefortheGame wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to order the Asyncron mousepad map and have it shipped to the USA? The Academy map was a bit too large and costly in my opinion. Any compatiblity issues playing with the English KS version?

Also interested in the French version.

Is it being reprinted? Or can we still order it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ignosis wrote:
I've got the french one 24X36
the english one is 55x28 inches


So, are the region names en francais or is it the same as the English version?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.