Subject: Tesla vs. Edison Broken Token...broken? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shay Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Did anyone else receive a Broken Token organizer which has a couple of the side slots on the money tray incorrectly sized? We started putting it together last night and the rear lower slot on the end pieces are too small by about 1/3 the length of the tab supposed to fit into it. Since we got it as part of the Kickstarter, we're uncertain if we should try to fix it ourselves, contact the game designer, or contact Broken Token. Anyone else run into this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Spillman
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check to make sure both end pieces and the base are oriented correctly. The slots in the sides are two different widths and will only fit one way. I had to do some flipping and swapping when I put mine together today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Olejnik
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You aren't the only one. I had to end up cutting off about a third from each side, like you mentioned, to make the sides fit snugly. In addition, I had an extra copy of the 3rd board in my bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skulk Ing
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me too.

I had to remove, with craft knife and self-healing board and a sandpaper set and a whole lot of trying and re-trying the fit, at least two millimeters from each edge of the back tabs on the short sides of the long bottom piece to get those back tabs fitted into the slots in the side pieces. This took hours.

Moreover, while the other two trays basically snapped together without too much trouble, the fit of the money tray took me days even after I got those two tabs cut down and fit. It's a very difficult getting the vertical tabs from the sides and dividers and the graphics-covered top bar's horizontal tabs into the back piece. I'm letting it settle in place before I take some of it apart for gluing and I'm not certain even now that I will actually remove the back because I wasn't sure I'd get it all to fit in the first place.

I've had other Broken Token products and they are always a bit of a DIY project but those two tabs are clearly in error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. I will be contacting them.

Update: Massive operator error!! There was no problem with my set. Using the assembly instruction as a guide, make sure you have 1H and 1C in their proper places. I had them switched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Realizing it's been several weeks since the most recent post in this thread, but based on my own experience, the answer to the question asked is YES.

Basically, in part because I am highly DIY challenged, I was only able to put together one of the three items in the broken token set (the cube tray) without having it fall apart. After several hours of frustration, I contacted the broken token people (as suggested by Artana on the KS page) and they agreed to send out the other two items (the bank tray and the card tray, assembled by the so-called experts at Broken Token).

Well, today the package from Broken Token arrived and lo and behold, while the bank tray arrived intact, the card tray immediately collapsed into its component pieces as soon as I opened the package. So, I guess in a way, I don't feel all that incompetent about my perceived lack of DIY ability if the so-called experts couldn't even put the tray together well enough to survive shipping.

I guess I'm back to packing the game up in the usual way (with baggies and such) but unhappy at how Artana, SN and BT handled things that have left a bad taste in my mouth for any future projects of theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For comparison, the assembly of mine went without a hitch. It was the first BT insert that I've built (have dine a second one now, having been pleased with this one) and I found it straightforward and well designed and well cut. (I would have changed a couple of minor points with the design, but that's just personal preference.)

When assembling something like this, a dry-fit test assembly is vital as a couple of pieces look symmetrical at first glance, but aren't. I used PVA to glue a few pieces for security, but a lot of the assembly didn't need glueing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daley
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent Broken Token a message asking about this today as I have the same issue. Apparently the first production run had a cut error and about 75 people got the incorrectly cut pieces. They offered to send me replacement parts and thats what i opted for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
valwoof wrote:
I sent Broken Token a message asking about this today as I have the same issue. Apparently the first production run had a cut error and about 75 people got the incorrectly cut pieces. They offered to send me replacement parts and thats what i opted for!

Is there some easy way for me to determine whether mine is one of those 75?

I've never assembled one of these before, and I'd rather not get started if mine is one of the bad ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.