Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. H.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Keith,
Hello fellow BGGeeks,

I have a question regarding the timing of skill cards that allow players to affect (change, take) dice on initiative cards.
(Climb, Intimidate, Negotiate.)
As per the rulebook, players can use their skills at any time, even in another players turn unless the skill card says otherwise.
The above mentioned skills give a timing of "before or after selecting an initiative card..." - they don't say "YOUR initiative card" specifically, which allows the interpretation that you could use these skills before or after another player selects his initiative card (as you can use skills in other player's turns). Even if these skills were refering to "YOUR initiative card", the fact that you can use skills in another player's turn could mean that you can use this skill even if it is not DIRECTLY before or after choosing your initiative card.
This can open some timing issues.
For example, a situation I had when playing with my girlfriend recently:
On my turn, I wanted to use "Climb" to turn the red die I was after from a "1" into a "6", thereby reducing the green die my girlfriend was after from a "5" into a "2". She asked if she could use her "Negotiate" skill before I changed the face value, as she could use the skill at any time.
And there was our timing issue. OK, I announced my intend before she did... but it could have happened the other way around, or we both might have announced our intend at the very same time.
How to resolve such timing issues?
Should we simply assume that the skill cards should read "just before or after selecting your initiative card..."?

Thanks a lot in advance for your reply/input!

Best Regards,

Timo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good question. FWIW, I ruled it the same as you - you can only use your skills when it's your turn to take an initiative card. I thought that made sense for balance, plus otherwise you have to think about the order of resolving multiple players' skills (queue, stack, player order, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it one way that you COULD resolve them any time (i.e. "before your initiative order" includes "before other people's turns") and I think that's way too much. In my opinion it really should read:

"On your turn, before or after taking an initiative card..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play the same way--you have to play it on your own turn before or after taking your initiative card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The intention is that it's played on your own turn before or after taking your initiative card. As you have suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. H.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying, Keith!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.