I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Tanks! - Idea Phase
Designed for the 2016 Mint Tin Print and Play Contest.

Download links:
N/A

Overview:
Tanks! is an abstract game where two generals pit their wits against each other in a game of strategy and deduction, to completely destroy each other's platoon.

Time to Play
15 - 30 Minutes

Components:
6 Tanks for General 1
6 Tanks for General 2
4 Orders Cards
12 Secret Command Cards
1 8x8 Board

Setup
Place the board in the middle of the playing area, between the two generals. Each general will take their tank platoon (the 6 tanks) and place them in any order, ranks hidden, on their battle line, with the turrets pointing toward the other general's battle line.

Game Overview
The game is played in rounds, and each round is comprised of 6 turns. At the beginning of each round, an Order Card is drawn and this provides the order in which the tanks will be activated.

Round Overview
Generals will alternate turns giving a set of commands to tanks based on the orders for the round. If you don't have the tank that will receive the orders for the given round, your turn is skipped.

Turn Overview
During a turn the active tank can be given up to three commands. The tank can be given the same command multiple times.

Move Tank
If given this command, the active tank will move forward one space in the direction the turret is facing.

Rotate Tank
If given this command, the active tank can rotate its turret to any desired position.

Fire at an Adjacent Tank
If given this command, the active tank attempts to fire at and destroy an adjacent tank. The adjacent tank is destroyed if it is one rank higher or lower than the current tank's rank. The ranks are compared by each General once this command is given, and if the tank is destroyed it is given to the opposing General.

Give Secret Commands
If you have any secret command cards, you may give that command to the active tank. Once played and resolved, the secret command is discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[RESERVED]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[RESERVED]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

This has peaked my interest... You got me at the word tanks! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm struggling with the combat mechanic in the game (which I haven't even posted in the main rules part. I'll try to get right on that!) Basically when you shoot another adjacent tank, you can only blow it up if it's a rank higher or a rank lower than your tank.

Basically:
If your tank's rank is one, you can destroy rank two.
If your tank's rank is two, you can destroy one and three.
If your tank's rank is three, you can destroy two and four.
If your tank's rank is four, you can destroy three and five.
If your tank's rank is five, you can destroy four and six.
If your tank's rank is six, you can destroy five.

Now, if it comes down to it, in theory, the game can end in a tie, but I think I came up with a solution, but I'm having a bear of a time trying to figure out how to word it short and sweet and yet understandable.

Basically, if you blow up a tank and it's a rank higher or lower than your tank, you can go to the next available rank for an attack.

Example: Say you have tank two, and you've already destroyed tank three, then you can destroy tank one and tank four.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the rotating turret action idea and can't wait for more details.

if I may, I would like to offer a few suggestions (please feel free to ignore or use as you please)

1) IMHO terrain would be worthwhile to add to the game. at the very least to block line of sight and to use as protection. it would add an extra variable to the tactical aspect. if you want to go slightly more complex you can have bushes that tanks can hide in giving a bonus..also maybe roads to give a bonus to movement.

2) maybe use the turret facing as an indication/ modifier for combat. for example normally a tank can kill a tank one tier higher and one tier lower, maybe if the turret is pointing in the total opposite direction of an attacking tank, the attacking tank can kill a tank 2 tiers higher and one tier lower. This would represent a weakness in tank armour and make turret facing a more important aspect of the game like in real life.

I realise these ideas might not be in tune with the game you have in mind and I'm not really sure just yet how much complexity you wish to include. so please take these ideas with a grain of salt

also I have some questions..

I believe I remember seeing on the contest thread that this game is for 1-2 players...it is true? I'd love to test it if it plays solo.

what is the combat range? can they only shoot at adjacent tanks or do you envision longer range combat?

I'm not sure if I like the idea of having to kill tanks in a certain order, I personally like the chaos of battle ie.. shoot whatever you can, but that's just my opinion. If it works for the game...go with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melbards wrote:
I like the rotating turret action idea and can't wait for more details.

if I may, I would like to offer a few suggestions (please feel free to ignore or use as you please)

Thanks!

melbards wrote:

1) IMHO terrain would be worthwhile to add to the game. at the very least to block line of sight and to use as protection. it would add an extra variable to the tactical aspect. if you want to go slightly more complex you can have bushes that tanks can hide in giving a bonus..also maybe roads to give a bonus to movement.

Yeah, someone else suggested this to me, I will have to think on this, and possibly augment the game after I get the main mechanics down.

melbards wrote:

2) maybe use the turret facing as an indication/ modifier for combat. for example normally a tank can kill a tank one tier higher and one tier lower, maybe if the turret is pointing in the total opposite direction of an attacking tank, the attacking tank can kill a tank 2 tiers higher and one tier lower. This would represent a weakness in tank armour and make turret facing a more important aspect of the game like in real life.

I've been working with "Secret Command" cards, so this may be more of a fit for those. What I'm thinking here is when you lose a tank you get to draw a Secret Command card to help you out.

melbards wrote:

I realise these ideas might not be in tune with the game you have in mind and I'm not really sure just yet how much complexity you wish to include. so please take these ideas with a grain of salt

Thanks for the ideas!

melbards wrote:

also I have some questions..

I believe I remember seeing on the contest thread that this game is for 1-2 players...it is true? I'd love to test it if it plays solo.

It's going to be more of a 2 player game, not sure how I'd make it solo.

melbards wrote:

what is the combat range? can they only shoot at adjacent tanks or do you envision longer range combat?

Adjacent Tanks, but Secret Command cards may allow for longer ranges.

melbards wrote:

I'm not sure if I like the idea of having to kill tanks in a certain order, I personally like the chaos of battle ie.. shoot whatever you can, but that's just my opinion. If it works for the game...go with it

You don't have to kill tanks in a certain order per say. Part of the game is trying to deduce where your opponents tanks are based on their rank, and strategically move the appropriate tanks within range to attack and destroy the tanks you're going after. You could take out tank 3 then 5 then 1 then 6 if you really wanted to.

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've been working with "Secret Command" cards, so this may be more of a fit for those. What I'm thinking here is when you lose a tank you get to draw a Secret Command card to help you out.

The secret command cards sound like a good idea and I like the "catch-up" mechanic of drawing one when you lose a tank.
Quote:

It's going to be more of a 2 player game, not sure how I'd make it solo.

Yes, this type of game would be tough to make a solo variant for... I initially thought it might be a solo game because on the contest page its listed as:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Tanks! by Tyraziel
Entry Thread
# of Players: 1-2
Overview: Tanks! is an abstract game where two generals pit their wits against each other in a game of strategy and deduction, to completely destroy each other's platoon.

Looking foward to reading the rules and secret command cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melbards wrote:

Yes, this type of game would be tough to make a solo variant for... I initially thought it might be a solo game because on the contest page its listed as:
Quote:

Tanks! by Tyraziel
Entry Thread
Overview: Tanks! is an abstract game where two generals pit their wits against each other in a game of strategy and deduction, to completely destroy each other's platoon.

Oh man... I'll go fix that! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
melbards wrote:

Quote:

Tanks! by Tyraziel
Entry Thread

Oh man... I'll go fix that! Thanks!

Oh... the entry thread in the main part. I'll have R4D6 fix it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems as though I didn't describe how to even play the game!

Basically there will be 4 Orders Cards (or coins, buttons, what-have-you).

At the beginning of each round one of the orders will be drawn randomly and those are the orders for the entire round. This is done for each round until there are no more orders and then they are re-shuffled and drawn from again (basically every 4 rounds you'll get each order).

Here is what I'm thinking about for the Orders:

Normal Orders
Tanks are activated in Rank Order 1 - 6.

Reverse Orders
Tanks are activated in Rank Order 6 - 1.

Encrypted Orders
Tanks are activated by dice roll. (Only roll 6 times)

General's Discretion Orders
Each tank is activated at the General's Discretion, but any tank may only be activated once during the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanks! Rules wrote:
Round Overview
Generals will alternate turns giving a set of commands to tanks based on the orders for the round. If you don't have the tank that will receive the orders for the given round, your turn is skipped.

I'm thinking about this one (just updated it) and I'm not sure if I like skipping the turn or making the rule where you can pick a tank a rank higher or lower, similar to how you can with attacking opposing tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm thinking about this one (just updated it) and I'm not sure if I like skipping the turn or making the rule where you can pick a tank a rank higher or lower, similar to how you can with attacking opposing tanks.

Skipping a turn and giving the opponent two activations in a row is generally frowned upon from what a gather from the forums.. Especially if the wait is long. However, In your game, which seems like it will be fast paced activations, it may work without giving a negative experience. It may be worth a try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melbards wrote:
Quote:

Skipping a turn and giving the opponent two activations in a row is generally frowned upon from what a gather from the forums.. Especially if the wait is long. However, In your game, which seems like it will be fast paced activations, it may work without giving a negative experience. It may be worth a try

Could even be three or more!

I think I'll try to roll with it as each turn in a round one of your tanks activates, it may make for some interesting strategies... do I lose tanks early on to get more orders for my remaining tanks, or do I try to strike quick and fast?

But making the rules clear will be the tricky part.

Now to find some play testers!

I still haven't created the secret orders cards, since with this change, losing a tank is offset by one of your tanks getting multiple orders, and thus potentially confusing/hiding the true rank of the tank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.