War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving the ents rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michiel Drucker
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hello,

Could anyone clarify the rules for moving the ents? The manual on page 19 says, 'To move the ents, the Free Peoples player takes one ent figure and places it in a region already containing an ent.' But, since ents are recruited in Fangorn, how does the first ent get into that region in the first place? At some point, one ent must have moved into a region without it already containing another ent figure. The example on page 20 does not explain this. What am I missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ent faction enters the game when you use a Muster action die result to bring it in to play. Have a look at the Ent faction card (the big cards detailing the rules for the factions, one card per faction).

Then, to move them you have to use the correct Faction event card ("March of the Ents"), which allows you to move/attack with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting set up has two Ents in Fanghorn; but the Ent Faction is not yet active. When they are brought into play as indicated by their Faction card ( IIRC the FP must have a Companion/Gandalf the White in Fanghorn ) they may now be moved as indicated.

So they are activated, then you have two Ents there from the set up. You take one of them and put into an adjacent region.

For all Factions, when I set up I lay the Faction figures on their side to show they are inactive; then put them right side up when the Faction is brought into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it says, "To move the Ents, the Free Peoples player takes one Ent figure from the Entwood and places it in a region adjacent to a region already containing an Ent."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
For all Factions, when I set up I lay the Faction figures on their side to show they are inactive; then put them right side up when the Faction is brought into play.

I would leave them on the faction card (adding more models to the card when events permit). When the faction is activated, turn the faction card over and put the models in the starting space(s). Our games can get pretty cluttered, so there is room for confusion about what is really there and what isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did as a reminder because my opponent's "historical" knowledge is not so good he can remember where stuff comes in; as the Shadow player for instance, knowing where the Ents can pop up, or where the Dunlendings can enter, speeds up play vs looking at the card, then the area on the map, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Drucker
Netherlands
flag msg tools
That's it! Somehow, even after re-reading the line several times, I still missed that part. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.