flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exodus
Event Horizon

It is now over one hundred cycles since the Centaurians departed, leaving only a remnant of their once glorious civilization behind. We, humans, were still weak back then. But with the advantages afforded by Centaurian technology, we prospered and grew. Each of our six factions rose from the ashes of their former selves, establishing new homes on separate planets, and rebuilding into powerful empires, each exhibiting their own unique capabilities and passions.

With newfound strength, the innate human desire to expand and exercise control would not be bridled. At first, only small skirmishes broke out. Eventually, however, we returned to full war against one another. As we expanded our control in the Centauri system, we found that the remnants of the old Centaurian civilization also had prospered and regained much of their old glory.

As if it were not enough that we had to fight our human brothers, now we had to fight against the ever stronger Centaurians as well...

Exodus: Event Horizon adds ten different modules to Exodus: Proxima Centauri. Even though all ten modules in this expansion are compatible with one another and can be used together, each represents a new or enhanced experience. Some modules integrate seamlessly, whereas others will surprise and engage you in brand new modes of play.

Because this is a modular expansion, you can freely choose which modules you incorporate in each game. Perhaps some modules you will always want to play with, and perhaps there are others which you will only play with occasionally.

In this article, I will give you an initial overview of each module, what it adds to the game and how it affects game play. In future articles, each module will be discussed more in depth.

Module Name
————————————————
Bonus Actions
Centaurian Resistance
Centaurian Outposts
Exploration
New Planets
Proxima Centauri
Jump Gates
Communication Satellites
Energy Barriers
Leaders
Challenge Level
—————————
□□□□□ 0/5
■■■□□ 3/5
■■■■□ 4/5
■■■□□ 3/5
■□□□□ 1/5
■■□□□ 2/5
■□□□□ 1/5
■□□□□ 1/5
■□□□□ 1/5
■□□□□ 1/5
Play Time
————————
+0 min
+5 min/player
+5 min/player
+5 min/player
+0 min
+0 min
+0 min
+0 min
+0 min
+0 min

Bonus Actions (M1)
Summary: This module adds additional Bonus Action cards as options in your games.

This module definitely has the least impact on game play. It adds some additional Bonus Action cards to the game. You choose whether to include one or more of them with those from the base game.

Why more Bonus Actions?

Two reasons — 1) more options for the players; 2) to add synergy with other modules introduced in this expansion.

Centaurian Resistance (M2)
Summary: The Resistance fleets have been reimagined to better scale in both threat and reward throughout the game.

While Centaurian Resistance Combat is not new to this expansion, the new Resistance levels scale in strength throughout the game. Additionally, the Resistance fleets are now able to reactivate, which also increases the challenge. On the other hand, as the danger increases, so do the rewards!

What prompted this change?

Again, two reasons — 1) to make the Centaurian Resistance at more consistent threat from game to game, especially when playing with Exodus: Edge of Extinction; 2) to give experienced players an increased challenge.

Centaurian Outposts (M3)
Summary: Centaurians are actively defending their planets against players who exploit their valuable resources.

The Centaurian Outposts take on a role similar to that of the Centaurian Resistance. Just as the Centaurian Resistance has always represented a threat in space, Centaurian Outposts pose a threat on the planets themselves. Of course, defeating an Outpost yields valuable rewards! However, the presence and strength of each Outpost is not immediately known, making necessary expansion a matter of taking calculated risks. New Technologies provide the tools necessary to manage this new threat.

Why the addition of Centaurian Outposts?

Mainly, to give the players more options! The Outposts provide new ways for the players to earn points and valuable rewards. This module also offers an alternative to managing large fleets of ships, thereby giving the players additional paths to victory. Additionally, the Centaurian Outposts will offer experienced players a noticable challenge.

Exploration (M4)
Summary: Surprising events and sudden dangers await those brave enough to explore the unknown worlds.

This module supercharges the exploration aspects of Exodus: Proxima Centauri, turning the game into a full-fledged 4X experience where all aspects (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate) are equally strong. With this module, the planets begin play face down, requiring the players to explore the universe around them to find the most suitable planets to colonize. As you move into an unexplored sector of space, an Event card will be drawn. None of the events are completely game altering. There is also a new Technology which allows you to avoid the worst events.

What is the reasoning behind this module?

More than anything — this module was designed to provide a full 4X experience to players who crave it. While the uncertainty of the location of specific planets will make the game more challenging, skillful planning and adaptation will make up the difference.

New Planets (M5)
Summary: New and exotic planets provide even more variety and choices as you expand the reach of your faction.

Simply put — this modules adds new planet types. No new resource types are introduced. However, despite the similiarities to existing planets, I am sure you will find the new additions both surprising and intriguing.

Does the game need more planets?

This module is all about adding variety and options to the game. Some planets will be more valuable early game whereas others will be more enticing late game. Some will prove to be more likely targets of WMDs than others.

Proxima Centauri (M6)
Summary: Our home star makes an appearance in the game and impacts the planetary system with solar wind.

When playing with this module, the Proxima Centauri hex replaces the High Coucil hex as the board's central hex. New Technologies allow you to take advantage of the star's proximity.

What inspired this addition?

By now, I'm fairly certain you can what my answer will be — added variety and alternate game play while offering new and interesting challenges.

Jump Gates (M7)
Summary: Utility structures suitable for both strategic and tactical use as well as emergency response.

Edge of Extinction introduced the concept of planetary upgrades that were available only to certain factions. This module adds structures that are available to all players. No Technologies are necessary to acquire the Jump Gates. However, you must take care when determining the best placement.

Added variety and more options for the players!

Communication Satellites (M8)
Summary: With a strong communication network, your ships will gain an advantage away from home.

The Communication Satellites are another type of structure, just like the Jump Gates above. Of course, their function is completely different.

Added variety and more options for the players!

Energy Barriers (M9)
Summary: Natural pockets of energy which can be both a hindrance and a boon.

The Energy Barriers are static objects which are placed (by the players) during game setup. Even though they do not block movement, they have both a strategic and tactical impact on ship movement.

Leaders (M10)
Summary: Employ powerful leaders and benefit from their unique strengths.

Now, each player's faction will be lead by a powerful individual which adds asymmetry and variable player powers to the game, in addition to those offered by Edge of Extinction.

Centaurian Stronghold Scenario

And now I must admit that I omitted the last sentence in the introductory story above. It should have ended with: Of course, the tables turned on us yesterday — the Centaurians returned!

The Centaurian Stronghold is a scenario which offers exciting new modes of game play for Exodus: Proxima Centauri. In addition to new challenges introduced by both this expansion and the scenario itself, the Centaurian Stronghold scenario enables fully cooperative and semi-cooperative play in Exodus: Proxima Centauri (with or without Edge of Extinction). There is much, much more that could be said about this scenario, but I think I will leave that for a future article. Let me just tease you by sharing the introductory story:

The Centaurians have returned! It was just yesterday that the Centaurian stronghold, an alien ship megastructure, arrived in the midst of the Centauri system. It does not appear likely that their intentions are friendly this time around, especially considering the bitter fighting between us and the New Centaurian Empire as of late. In fact, early reports suggest that the Centaurians are preparing for war...

As you can see, the design goal behind this expansion was to provide the players, both new and experienced, with:

• Increased challenges
• More variety and options
• More paths to victory
• More ways to play and enjoy the game

...and all of this without altering game balance or the spirit of the game. Where luck or randomness is introduced, multiple ways are introduced to mitigate it. Where asymmetry is added, it affects the players equally.

Edit: Tpyo :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the module aspect of this just was hoping for some things like ground troops and more things to protect planets or make them better at what they do maybe, more options for shield and weapons, just not feeling most of these modules unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to similarities to the original edition of Exodus's "Bonus Actions" vs M1, and "Generals Mini-expansion" vs M10.

I know there was a bit of an outcry when they were made incompatible / not recommended, and I have no issue with tuning them and bringing them back in a newer, cleaner form - I just want to get the best game possible to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
I'm curious as to similarities to the original edition of Exodus's "Bonus Actions" vs M1, and "Generals Mini-expansion" vs M10.

I know there was a bit of an outcry when they were made incompatible / not recommended, and I have no issue with tuning them and bringing them back in a newer, cleaner form - I just want to get the best game possible to the table.

I can spoil that the original Bonus Action promo "Supplies" is making a spiritual comeback, but it has undergone a few minor tweaks. The other Bonus Action cards are brand new.

There is, however, no real tie between Leaders and the previous Generals mini-expansion. The Generals offered a once-per-game ability that was unknown to the other players (until used). The Leaders instead give you a special power which is in effect throughout the game. The Leader power is also public knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ggg ggg
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
First of all, i'm very excited to see an expansion for this great game!

The modules above seem to add even more variety to the game but i was hoping that the expansion could touch other aspects of the game as well: trading between players, alliances between players, ground forces. The exploration module is something that was definitely missing, although i'm hoping to see more than planets on the hexes: asteroid belts, black holes, supernova, nebulae, derelict ships, ancient artifacts, things that will enhance gameplay even more.

I'll surely keep an eye on this forum to read new posts from the designers about the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
I like the module aspect of this just was hoping for some things like ground troops and more things to protect planets or make them better at what they do maybe, more options for shield and weapons, just not feeling most of these modules unfortunately.

gmavrack wrote:
First of all, i'm very excited to see an expansion for this great game!

The modules above seem to add even more variety to the game but i was hoping that the expansion could touch other aspects of the game as well: trading between players, alliances between players, ground forces. The exploration module is something that was definitely missing, although i'm hoping to see more than planets on the hexes: asteroid belts, black holes, supernova, nebulae, derelict ships, ancient artifacts, things that will enhance gameplay even more.

I'll surely keep an eye on this forum to read new posts from the designers about the expansion.

Ground forces, eh? I wonder how you might deal with the Centaurian Outposts?

More weapon and shield options? We shall see, we shall see ...

And other things in space? While I cannot guarantee that all your wishes will be fulfilled, I am fairly certain there will be things "other than planets".

But, but ... more details will eventually be revealed for the modules individually!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM BR
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
VERY EXCITED!!!

Twilight Imperium 3 was my very first boardgame, I love the theme but as time went by, I never had the time to play it anymore. So, as a TI3 orphan, when I stumbled on Exodus Proxima Centauri, I knew it would be my new favorite game. I supported the Kickstarter of Edge of Extinction and it came with almost everything I missed from my early days of gaming.

For what a read, this will bring everything else I like about 4X space games, without the flaws and within the time lapse I have to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM BR
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Ground combat would be neat, new weapons too (like missiles that you can launch only once or bombs that occupy the space from population cubes on ships). Also, please add something to counter EMP Cannons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D'Cotta
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually hoping for even more ships, as 4 of each type still seems too low.

Also, it would be nice if ships markers on the board showed how many hits that could take before being destroyed; as I found it troublesome to have to keep looking at other player boards to see how damaged each opponent ship was.

A suggestion would be to use something like HeroClix's bases to show remaining hit points. For example:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM BR
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
So.. any news?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Details will start trickling in ... now-ish

We are actually in the middle of assembling all the material we need to plan production, and then there will be a Kickstarter launching in February.

So it's very much in full swing to get everything ready as we speak!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Arcadio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news!
It would be great to have couple of new factions in game. I think for 4x games it is important to have different asymmetrical civilizations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buendia wrote:
Great news!
It would be great to have couple of new factions in game. I think for 4x games it is important to have different asymmetrical civilizations.

Each existing Faction has a color predefined (great for visibility, horrible for expansions), a deck of cards, and a custom tech tree. Adding more would require considerable balancing to make them appropriate (and new ones would all have to be grey, brown, or plaid). I highly suspect it isn't going to happen - people would almost demand there be 3-4 more, then in an uproar over not being 6 or more.

Besides - leaders fit that nicely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM BR
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
FreezenFire wrote:
Buendia wrote:
Great news!

Each existing Faction has a color predefined (great for visibility, horrible for expansions), a deck of cards, and a custom tech tree. Adding more would require considerable balancing to make them appropriate (and new ones would all have to be grey, brown, or plaid). I highly suspect it isn't going to happen - people would almost demand there be 3-4 more, then in an uproar over not being 6 or more.

Besides - leaders fit that nicely!

I agree that there is no demand for more than 6 players, but to solve the color problem, just use the same color for more than one faction, like in Terra Mystica... Anyway, I would like ways to use the news techs without the factions but still, a different set of factions that are less focused in a single aspect of the game would be nice...

On the other hand, playtesting would be a nightmare
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a way to get Kickstarter exclusive items for the previous expansion with this new one? I find it a annoying to purchase the second expansion and the game makes it blatant that content is missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were no "exclusive" items in Edge of Extinction, nor will there be any in Event Horizon.

Bonus content which backers of the Edge of Extinction Kickstarter received for free are available through the BGG store.

Also, Event Horizon will be 100% playable and enjoyable with or without the previous expansion. In fact, that was a core design goal, to ensure that everything in Event Horizon plays well whether you play with just the base game or with base + EoE. This certainly made balancing and play testing more challenging, but it improved the end product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Arcadio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:

Also, Event Horizon will be 100% playable and enjoyable with or without the previous expansion. In fact, that was a core design goal, to ensure that everything in Event Horizon plays well whether you play with just the base game or with base + EoE. This certainly made balancing and play testing more challenging, but it improved the end product.

I can't understand why new expansion should be compatible with base game without EoE. I think that EoE essential part of the game. Base game felt uncompleted with only one standard fraction. Differences between sides in Exodus are amazing: unique technology, unique set of action cards, different bonuses.
I would never play base game.
So it seems logical to continue this path and make next expansions compatible only with EoE and don't spend resources to make it compatible with base game. IMHO every new expansion should have several new fraction. (Exodus + EoE has 6 fraction, but Eclipse for example was released with 7 different races) When we start new game the fraction selection process is very important and I wish we will have broader soon. Different races combinations make every game practically unique. Also some fractions from EoE are too powerful from some gamers points of view and new fractions will give them better options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that EoE is essential, but look around this forums. A lot of people dislike it, it seems, and use mostly just the base game.

Why not cater to them as well? I have playtested EH, and I can assure you that the way it is imagined and implemented, it will work well with the base game and the expansion, and dare I say any possible additional expansion (be it official or fan made).

It really works well as a buffet style of expansion: pick what you like, ignore the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Arcadio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
I agree that EoE is essential, but look around this forums. A lot of people dislike it, it seems, and use mostly just the base game.

Why not cater to them as well? I have playtested EH, and I can assure you that the way it is imagined and implemented, it will work well with the base game and the expansion, and dare I say any possible additional expansion (be it official or fan made).

It really works well as a buffet style of expansion: pick what you like, ignore the rest.

It is true. I've seen forums thread were people discussed how to include some EoE techs in base game. I suspect that reason for that is unbalance feeling of EoE or streamlined/limited strategies for some fractions. If new expansion introduce another set of fractions it could change this situation and this gamers will love to play with fractions from EoE. I don't think that somebody dislike idea of asymmetrical sides. I was disappointed by fact that there isn't any new fractions in expansion. For me it looks like step backward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buendia wrote:
It is true. I've seen forums thread were people discussed how to include some EoE techs in base game. I suspect that reason for that is unbalance feeling of EoE or streamlined/limited strategies for some fractions. If new expansion introduce another set of fractions it could change this situation and this gamers will love to play with fractions from EoE. I don't think that somebody dislike idea of asymmetrical sides. I was disappointed by fact that there isn't any new fractions in expansion. For me it looks like step backward.

There are several reasons why there are no new factions in Event Horizon. We wanted to enhance the overall gaming experience, providing options and alternatives applicable to any faction. Several paths to victory have been strengthened (or created). You will find new ways to play the game, new challenges, new difficulty levels, and more subtle asymmetries. Leader abilities, events, reward cards, new planet types — all add variety and asymmetry to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM BR
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
So... any previews, photos or anything? Expectation is killing us here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's coming, it's coming

Did you see the box cover?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a lot more is known by know, what do you guys think?

My favorite part so far are the increased Centaurians. The respawning if you leave a hex reminds me of Omega Centauri.
I especially like how simple the ground combat thing is. When I first read it, I was very sceptical. But the ground combat is fast, easy to explain AND you can assess the risk very accurately before you attack. Very well done Rainer!

Leaders are nice touch, as are the new bonus actions. I'm not so sure about the exploration cards. It depends on powerful/hurtful these events are. If they really are mostly small stuff, then it's fun - and apparently there is a tech against the bad events. This offers a nice choice, wheter it's worth it or not.

More variety with new planets sounds like a good thing, although some seem to be very very powerful.

The Centaurian Stronghold is an impressive work of design, but I prefer Exodus as a competitve experience. However, I can see myself using the Centaurian Stronghold to show the game to new players and maybe play a couple of games solo.

All in all, I'm very excited about the expansion and can't wait for it to arrive! Good work Rainer, I'm looking forward for your next updates in your blog/Kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Nicholas, for those very kind words. I'm humbled by the praise.

I really appreciate hearing your thoughts and feelings about individual modules. I'm glad (and relieved) to hear that your reaction perfectly aligns with the thought process that went into the design and the goal of each module.

Again, thank you for this feedback! It totally made my day! meeple

As an aside about the planets ... Some planets are, indeed, very powerful. Take the dual resource planets, for example. Of course, the power is offset by the complete lack of VPs at game end, and the increased likelihood of the planet being targeted by WMDs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM BR
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Nicholas M wrote:
Leaders are nice touch, as are the new bonus actions.

That's probably the experience I expected when I bought Edge of Extinction, they add without restrict.. they certainly will shape the path for your strategy.. Very Nice

Nicholas M wrote:
I'm not so sure about the exploration cards. It depends on powerful/hurtful these events are. If they really are mostly small stuff, then it's fun - and apparently there is a tech against the bad events. This offers a nice choice, wheter it's worth it or not.

Another excelent adition, as long they don't decimate a entire fleet or anything like it, they will be okay, and remember, even without the techs, you can still scout with a single fighter to minimize the risk. Fun stuff.

Nicholas M wrote:
More variety with new planets sounds like a good thing, although some seem to be very very powerful.

Choosing where to go really matters now, some places will be a bigger target.

Since I'm fond to house rules, I probably going to assemble the map distributing the planets among the players, and each player put a hex face down, one at a time, till the map is complete... This way, I can choose to play barren planets near my enemies while trying to put the good ones next to me... This gives each player a sense of where the good stuff is, without taking everything for granted (since you still have to face the events)... Thematically, every faction has a small degree of knowledge about the map, but they don't share the information with they adversaries

The thing I like the most is the à la carte experience, you add what you like..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.