BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need to WOW my siblings with another hit this Xmas! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy
United States
California
flag msg tools
About 3 years ago I brought home 7 Wonders and it's expansions and my entire family of non-boardgamers IMMEDIATELY liked it. We've played upwards of 300 games of 7 Wonders since then.

I've been trying to boil down what it is that makes 7 Wonders so appealing. It's probably a combination of:

+Different strategies that all path to the same winstate (most victory points wins)
+Not knowing who is ahead or behind because of the various strategies (science/military/wonders)
+The wonders of the world theming is pretty fun.

I saw that Antoine Bauza came out with 7 Wonders Duels - but that's only 2 players.

I'm looking for a 4-7 player game that can capture some of the deckbuilding magic of 7 Wonders but is new. Doesn't have to be deckbuilding. Does have to be fun.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was Mysterium. It is basically as different from 7 Wonders as you can get, as a cooperative game where you are trying to deduce clues from random images... But it is a 2-7 game, great with non-gamers, where you get super into the mystery. Worth looking into even if it isn't the type of thing you're actually looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Just watched the Shut Up and Sit Down explanation of the rules. Looks super fun! Like Spectral Clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Jeremy,

I have recently acquired 7 Wonders as well and agree with you! Such a hit with non-boardgamers and is a great introduction.

I feel that you could possibly break out Concordia to wow them again. There would be many different elements at play here: minor deck building, beautiful art, resource and economic development, no one hates each other at the end of the game.

There is no proven way to win at Concordia either, you could take many different steps to achieve glory! Let me know if you find it interesting. Shut up & Sit down has a great review as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Between Two Cities. It's a bit shorter than 7 wonders, but it can be a great family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
only for up to 6 players, but Evolution would fit your requirements pretty well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toth

Clovis
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SubtlyArtistic wrote:
My first thought was Mysterium. It is basically as different from 7 Wonders as you can get, as a cooperative game where you are trying to deduce clues from random images... But it is a 2-7 game, great with non-gamers, where you get super into the mystery. Worth looking into even if it isn't the type of thing you're actually looking for.

Second for Mysterium! I just played this game the other day with 4 non-gamers, and it went over great. You should play the ghost for the first game or so. The ghost role can be tough for beginners.

If your family is at all interested in bluffing/deduction games I also have to give a shout out to Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. Really fun game that plays 4-12... but I might suggest that 4-8 is optimal.

Hope you have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
First, if they are at all a fan of Star Trek or similar fare, and you think they'd get a kick out of a co-op game, try The Captain Is Dead. Plays up to 7 right out of the box.

Second, +1 for Concordia as being rules-light and fun-heavy, and having the same positives you've identified for 7W.

Third, Caverna goes up to 7 and I've found the family version (the limited building set, NOT the full suite) goes over very well with new players. That said, given you've described them as non-gamers I'd really hesitate to recommend this for 'em, as it's a significant monetary and time investment on top of being, well, Caverna.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a quick search and came up with Not Alone. Brand new game, I don't know when it's due in stores.
Plays up to 7. Semi-coop (alien vs. everybody). Deckbuilding.
Looks like a bit of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Came to say Mysterium, got ninja'd. ninja
It goes over well with gamers and non gamers so well. I like it more than Codenames, which also could fit what you're looking for. Mysterium just has more theme and flair to it. Codenames is in teams, whereas Mysterium is all co-op, so people don't feel checked-out for chunks at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
What about something like Citadels (2016 edition) that plays 2 - 8 players and also has card drafting but is quite a different game from 7 Wonders. A lot more interactive for a start...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro is my go to everyone enjoys it game.
2-8 players
Instant teach and play.
A bit light is my only concern if they loved 7 wonders so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
You might be disappointed if you're looking for deckbuilding aspects. 7 Wonders is a tableau building and drafting game, Dominion is a deckbuilding game. And I doubt your siblings would enjoy Dominion from what you described.

I know I'm not suggesting anything, but using the right terms might also ease your search. Good luck finding that pearl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to 8 players-

Incan Gold just a heck of a lot of push your luck fun in a short play time.
Wits & Wagers - fantastic fun guessing trivia answers and then betting on which answer is the closest

Another drafting game like 7 wonders, but includes dice placement and a race- Steampunk Rally. I really enjoyed this one, and everyone executes their actions simultaneously, it doesn't take forever.

The Resistance fun social deduction game. Maybe a bit group dependent, as people are 'lying' to eachother

Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) hilarious bank robber game where you point foam guns at eachother. No one should get annoyed at this game, as there is no deception involved. It's just basically, who are you going to shoot (and is it a bullet or a blank in the chamber)

Colt Express is fun, but only goes up to 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the Stars has the same card drafting mechanism as 7 Wonders, but it also has a spatial aspect (you're building a space station, so certain sorts of locations score you more points depending on where they are). This game also has different alien races you can play as, each of which is better at certain things, and so you have different paths to victory and different advantages that you want to try and leverage. With an expansion, you can play up to 6, but the base game only holds 4 (and table space can become an issue the higher the player count goes).

I really think your family would like this as a next step from 7 Wonders.

However, if you'd rather branch out a little(instead of doing another card drafting game), you might consider Mission: Red Planet. It holds up to 6 and has hidden objectives, hand management, area control, and you can even put "discovery" cards under certain sections of Mars, which can wreak havoc on someone's plans at the end of the game. I think it's great.

One last suggestion would be Cosmic Encounter. Base game holds 5, but expansions can bring it all the way to 8. It's all about leveraging various alien powers to win encounters or negotiate deals. You can actually have more than one winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read your post, I immidiately thought of Libertalia, although it's totally different than 7 Wonders and it's "only" up to 6 players. But I think it's worth a look.
(there's an episode of Tabletop with Libertalia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdGQ4npIzfI)

+1 for Incan Gold, but in the new 2016 Iello-edition Diamant with the nice looking components. It's something completely different than 7 Wonders or Libertalia. It's much lighter and faster - but in a group of up to 8 people including non-gamers and/or kids, I think it's just pure fun, with very little downtime.

I would not recommend Caverna. With 7 players, it's just incredible long. The box says 30 minutes per player, so we're talking about 3.5 hours. I really like Caverna, but I would never play it with more than 4 people or maybe 5 if I'm in the mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfenroads - 6 Players

Jamaica - 6 Players

+1 Libertalia - 6 Players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I haven't played this one myself (have only heard good things though), but have you considered Captain Sonar? I should get a chance to play it soon and I am really looking forward to it.

It's been recommended already, but Codenames is pretty great as well. Plus, it's inexpensive, travels well with a fairly small box, and is easy to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Up to five players- Bruges with Bruges: The City on the Zwin; Kingdom Builder with expansions (prefer KB at fewer than 5P though). 7 Wonders is still the best drafting game I've played, but Sushi Go Party! is a nice filler. Camel Up is silly fun (if approached like a casual filler) for high player counts and Codenames is one I enjoy at six players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try Dixit. It's like a more steamlined version Mysterium with better player interaction, no need for one player to sit silently through the whole thing, and it's competitive, so I think it's a much more lively time than Mysterium. However, it relies on the same mechanism.

Also, with a bit of tweaking, Dixit can accommodate 7 players (and plays 6 out of the box). Mysterium can only accommodate 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djn1981 wrote:
Up to 8 players-

Incan Gold just a heck of a lot of push your luck fun in a short play time.
Wits & Wagers - fantastic fun guessing trivia answers and then betting on which answer is the closest

Another drafting game like 7 wonders, but includes dice placement and a race- Steampunk Rally. I really enjoyed this one, and everyone executes their actions simultaneously, it doesn't take forever.

The Resistance fun social deduction game. Maybe a bit group dependent, as people are 'lying' to eachother

Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) hilarious bank robber game where you point foam guns at eachother. No one should get annoyed at this game, as there is no deception involved. It's just basically, who are you going to shoot (and is it a bullet or a blank in the chamber)

Colt Express is fun, but only goes up to 6 players.

These are all good suggestions. And Colt Express plays up to 7 if you have the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions is the newest hotness.

It is a cooperative programming game, with 10 missions to play. Looking through the thread, apparently it becomes smash hit for gamers and non-gamers alike.

It plays with 2-4 players, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the awesome suggestions everybody!

Is Mechs vs. Minions out? I heard it's very similar to RoboRally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have / have you played any of the many expansions to 7 Wonders? They change the game up quite a bit.

As for suggestions, the simultaneous action selection in 7 Wonders is also a big deal in making it a likeable game with 6+ players. You don't have much downtime (waiting for other players to take their turn, meanwhile getting disengaged).

Have you tried a social deduction game like The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon? Or maybe even Dixit on the lighter side?

I would also recommend you have a look at El Grande, though it only supports up to 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
What about something like Citadels (2016 edition) that plays 2 - 8 players and also has card drafting but is quite a different game from 7 Wonders. A lot more interactive for a start...

I haven't played the 2016 edition, but Citadels is one of my favorite games of all time... and the reasons for that make me think this is not a good game for non-gamers. In fact, I'm pretty sure if I got a group of non-gamers to play this game with me, after they burned me at the stake for being a sorcerer for knowing what role all of them are going to pick literally every single turn, I'll have gotten them to swear off gaming forever.

Maybe the game plays differently if you're playing it without someone that's a card-carrying social deduction game enthusiast, but I'd be wary

If you're going for social deduction games, I think the Mysterium and The Resistance recommendations are much better, and I came here to recommend Mysterium myself until I saw it was already recommended 47 previous times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.