Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Griffiths
United Kingdom
Bexleyheath
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just played our first game, 2 players, Geek and the Goth and have a few questions on the rules (and observations...)

1) We never got to an end of act Klein attack - we always determined the location of the lair first and declared... is this usual?

2) I ended up in the Barn at the end of Act 2, which was the lair where we declared. There was also a supporting character. What happens to us, since that card is removed? I just shifted us to a different card...

3) In act 3 setup the Campfire and the Cemetary switch places... is this intentional? Given the layout it doesnt seem to make much difference...

4) The supporting characters seemed a bit pointless - they never got in our way or did very much... maybe being the geek made this a bit easy, since just sitting in the cabin means you can use any icon each turn?

4) Honestly, it seemed really easy... so easy that i feel we must have got something wrong... any common mistakes that might lead to this? The one thing that came to mind is that given it was our first game when we shared info we shared everything we knew

5) What does being scared actually do? Seems you carry on as normal? Only happened to us once...

6) Does the exposure count start at 1, or go on one after the first action?

Really enjoyed it, but feel like we missed something a bit of the rules
Thanks for any feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our mistakes in our first two plays was that we shared too much information -- and not by using the sharing card. I mean, we thought that we just literally weren't supposed to announce the name of locations when we peeked, but that all other forms of communication were fine. Like, if someone was about to be chased and they were thinking about going to the bad location, some of us would say, "Don't go there!"

And as soon as someone saw both Clues, they would say, "Okay, we know that the Goth is Klein..."

But the sharing card is really supposed to be the only way that information about locations and clues are supposed to be shared. So that makes it more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Toystorian
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, determining the Lair all three times the first time you play is rare.

2. Page 22 of the Rulebook: Players begin the new Act from the location where they finished the previous Act. If the location you completed the Act in is no longer available you may choose, following turn order, any available location to place your character token.

3. Yes, it was intentional. It follows the layout of the previous map from a different angle.

4. It sounds like you may have over shared. You can share what locations and clues you have knowledge of but not which sleeve contains which. You must be on the same space to share info and it counts as an action. If you were keeping proper track of the Exposure track count and the Attack deck was setup properly it would be hard to share multiple times and gather all the relevant information.

5. When you are scared you can’t use a hiding place until you are calm again. If you were only scared once then you were almost never chased. Being chased helps relay information to other players without having to share at the same location. It does sound as if you made some mistakes in how you played. There are barely enough actions to figure out the Lair if you play properly.

6. Page 19 of the Rulebook: Start the game on the Act 1 side of the Exposure card with ZERO exposure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Griffiths
United Kingdom
Bexleyheath
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the answers!

I think you're right that the key issue was sharing too much info. When we shared we shared in both directions (which I think is legal), so used it as a bit of a deduction session (without really trying)
We also misunderstood (I.e. didn't read properly) the sharing action and thought it could be used from anywhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Toystorian
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can share in both directions. But no, you cannot share from anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.