Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Until Monolith provides us with official gearing rules for all of the other heroes included in the King's pledge, I've put together this unofficial guide that I'll be using to incorporate heroes other than the retail version four into my games.

I understand that it might cause balance issues, and I've attempted to keep things under control and not potentially create any unstoppable powerhouse heroes. Mostly, I'm using the illustrations on the hero cards as guide.

Valeria - Sword, Parrying Dagger, Leather Armor

Conan (Mercenary) - Conan's Sword, Axe, Leather Armor

Savage Belit - Pirate Saber, Parrying Dagger

Kerim Shah - Turanian Sword, Zingaran Bow

Conan (Warlord) - Battle Axe, Chain Mail

Balthus - Bossonian Bow, Slasher (ally)

Amboola - Sword, Scale Mail

Conan (The Wanderer) - Sword, Axe, Buckler

Zelata - Zelata's Wolf (ally), Sacrificial Dagger, Spells (based on scenario)

N'Gora - Javelin, Ornamental Spear, Tribal Shield

Amra the Lion - Conan's Lion (ally), Axe, Chain Mail

Pelias - Dagger, Spells (based on scenario)

Taurus - Yuetshi Knife, Throwing Knives

Conan (The General) - Conan's Sword, Scale Mail

Pallantides - Sword, Shield, Kothian Archer (ally)

Olgerd Vladislav - Halberd, Leather Armor

That's all for now. I'm not looking at playing with the villains as heroes quite yet.

I realize there is some overlap in the gear for these builds, obviously if you want to use two heroes with the same item and there aren't multiple copies you'll need to make a compromise somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a game the other day where we used Taurus, Balthus and Savage Belit and your gear choices matched ours exactly.

As you say, the art is a good indicator.

I wish there was a grappling hook-type gear for Taurus though, to make him more interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to come up with some kind of a point system that could be applied to the gear, maybe based on the color of dice and other factors (reroll, guard bonus, throwable) and then be able to say "okay, every hero can start with 10 points worth of gear" and be done with it.

The issue with that is it seems that the scenarios themselves would have to limit the point cap. Conan in the first scenario, with battle axe, shield and leather armor is objectively better than his second scenario ("Hunting the Tigress") loadout of sword and leather armor, but he needs to be toned down in this scenario to make it a bit tougher for the heroes. So one scenario might have a point cap of 10 but another might limit it to 5 points.

I'm not even sure how to approach spells. I suppose breaking them into categories like attack, defense, support and then letting a caster choose one from each is a fair way to go. Again, though, certain scenarios would probably need to have a list of disallowed spells (Lightning Storm in "Hunting the Tigress" = a near auto-win for the heroes, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
This game is made in such a way that I can't see a point system actually working.

Hopefully players/fans will build a LOT of scenarios when they launch the app and the portal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Coiote wrote:
This game is made in such a way that I can't see a point system actually working.

Hopefully players/fans will build a LOT of scenarios when they launch the app and the portal.

[rant]

Talking about a well-balanced scenario, I completely agree.

I my (limited) experience, what characters to use and what equipment they have needs to be tailored very carefully to the individual scenario to achieve a scenario where odds are not greatly in favor of one side or the other.

There are so many things that play a role in a well-balanced scenario. Off the top of my head:

- The amount of blockers.
- The amount of cannon-fodder OL miniatures for hindering purposes.
- Are there OL miniatures with ranged attacks present? If so, what kind of LOS is there?
- What skills do the OL forces have? How many of each type of skill?
- How may movement points do the OL miniatures have?
- Where are the OL miniatures placed in the beginning?
-What equipment is there in the chests? How many chests are there? Where are they placed, are they easy or hard to get to?
-What are the functions of the Event tile? If there is a reforcements Event, how many points? And how expensive are the OL miniatures to get back?
- How are the OL's gems at the beginning of the scenario, and how many does he get back each round?
- What are the special rules for the scenario?

All of these may seem obvious points. But to me at least it was a surprise how big an impact a simple thing such as shifting one or more OL miniatures just one area for the specific map.

For instance, there is a reason the three hyenas are in the innermost hut in "In the Clutches of the Picts" scenario. If Conan in his first move is being held back by a pict warrior in the area between the huts of Sogar Zag, the snake and the red pict hunters, then the hyenas are able to reach the area just outside the exit of the red pict hunters' hut. Just as the red pict hunters themselves, if they were activated. The important bit being that, if the OL wants to attack Conan in this specific situation with either the red pict hunters or the three hyenas, he is forced to pay one gem per miniature in excess of the activation cost. I don't think this is a coincidence. This is a desired result by the scenario creators. Yes, the OL can get the reds or the hyenas out. But to attack Conan there, he will have to pay extra, or wait until activation again becomes cheap enough for his taste.

Now, imagine what would happen if the blue pict hunters and the three hyenas traded initial setup positions. Or if the hyenas' hut had its own exit.

A whole other scenario. Just by changing this little bit. Suddenly, activating the hyenas becomes a lot more attractive for the OL.

But what if their tile is not in the current start-up location in the river? What if the hyena tile is in position 6? 5? 4? Would it still be attractive to activate them?

And this is just the Hyenas. And just moving them one area. Or giving them a door.

See how all these things are interwoven and affect each other. You cannot touch one without affecting the entire "weave" that is the scenario as a whole.

Any change you do to a hero will have much the same kind of impact. Which Conan will you use? If you use Conan the wanderer, he will suddenly be able to enter the hut of Sogar Zag in his first round, provided fx Shevatas takes care of the abovementioned blocking pict warrior first.

A whole other game.

However, for fun, for experimenting, and as an aid to those who want to create their own scenarios, such a list is a *godsend* of tips and inspiration. I am trying my own hand at writing a scenario, and I have changed two things (so far) after seeing the list.

(And now I feel a need to add a potato for some reason....)

[/rant]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to bring one more information, in the "In the clutches of the pics" scenario with 4 heroes i exchanged Belit with the Belit from the Crom guest box and it worked fine. I gave her a Pirate sword and Parrying dagger and it didn't umbalance the scenario at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.