Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hulk-themed mini-expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on some Hulk-themed customs for a little while, and I thought I'd make a thread that put links to them all in one place. Together they could be the equivalent of a small box expansion, comes to a little over 100 cards.

I make them in Legedit then print them at home and sleeve them with double-backed cards. Most of the threads have links to the images I've used (none for Bruce and Skaar yet), or feel free to find your own. Most of the cards have been play-tested at least a couple of times now and I enjoy them.

So, here the Heroes:

Bruce Banner:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1635211/dogs-duplicate-...
(page 1; post 17)
Keywords/mechanics used: Divided card, Excessive violence, Size-Changing
(has an alternate uncommon, use whichever you like)

Red Hulk:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1627921/she-hulk-and-re...
(page 1; post 1)
More of a playable Villain really...
Works around top-deck manipulation

She-Hulk:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1627921/she-hulk-and-re...
(page 1; post 1)
Good supporting character, can help KO, recruit and cycle your deck as she charges into battle. The rare can really make you think about how to play your hand.

A-Bomb:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1626755/bomb-custom
(page 1; post 1)
Works around the number of strength cards in the HQ (so combos well with these other Heroes)
Keywords: Size-Changing

Skaar:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24094169#24094169
(page1; post 23)
Keywords/mechanics used: Artifact & shards (he comes from space).

Now the Masterminds and Villain Groups...

General Ross and Hulk vs the Army:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1544131/hulk-vs-army-villai...
Introduces a new keyword Rage. Villain group works around this, with Hulk rampaging through the city with the Army in hot pursuit, and Mastermind boosts off this.
Sabird has created some cards for this one, which you can find on page 2 of this thread.

Sauron and the Savage Land Dinosaurs:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1591478/dontfeedthegreens-s...
(page 1; posts 2 & 3)
Keywords/mechanics used: Charge, Feast, and Sauron likes to enter the city and sit on the rooftops. Sauron varies in strength according to Hero cards he's captured.
NB: these two go together thematically but I actually have the Savage Land Mutates as Sauron's Always Leads group.

Nightmare:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1669343/nightmare-custom-ma...
Don't let him get in your head (or your deck)!

Schemes...

Steal Hulk's Power:
(page 1; post 1)
The mastermind has Hulk strapped into some sort of machine to drain Hulk's power and feed it to him, but Hulk's power is volatile and difficult to control...

Hunting for Heroes:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1591478/dontfeedthegreens-s...
(page 1; post 4)
The Mastermind is out to get you, can you escape and defeat him?

Destroy the City:
(page 1; post 1)
This one works kind of like Galactus' Masterstrike, but it's a Scheme.

And finally, I needed one more to round out my set so I came up with this one (which I haven't play-tested yet). It uses the new key-word Rage, which is defined below for convenience. If you use the scheme with Villains that already have Rage, just use their existing Rage ability.

Enhance Aggressive Tendencies:
Set-Up: 8 Twists.
Special: All Villains have Rage: +1 Attack. Each time a player defeats the Mastermind they may put any wounds in their Victory Pile on the bottom of the Wound Stack.
Twist: Play a Henchmen Villain from any player's Victory Pile into the right-most unoccupied city space. Then Play another card from the Villain deck.
Evil Wins: When the number of Villains in the Escaped Pile is equal to 3 times the number of players.

RAGE:
-Villains with Rage get an attack bonus for each wound in players' Victory Piles (e.g. Rage: +1 Attack means the villain gets +1 attack for each wound in players' Victory Piles). Count wounds in all players' Victory Piles, not just your own.
-Villains with Rage also have the following fight effect. Fight: put a wound from the wound stack in your victory pile and then shuffle the Villain card back into the Villain deck.
-If there are no enemies in adjacent city spaces, instead of fighting a Villain with Rage, you may gain a Villain with Rage to your Victory Pile by paying recruit equal to its current attack. This does not count as fighting/defeating a Villain, so will not trigger abilities that start, 'Whenever you defeat a Villain this turn...'. You do gain any bystanders captured by the Villain.

And a bonus scheme arising out of discussion below:

Get inside Hulk's Head
Set-up: 8 Twists. Use 4 wounds per player in the wound stack. Use Hulk.
Special: Whenever you KO a wound, return it to the wound stack.
Twist 1-7: Cross-Dimensional Hulk Rampage.
Twist 8: Each player gains three wounds.
Evil wins: When the wound stack runs out.

Clarifications: Bruce Banner counts for CDHR (as do Red-Hulk and She-Hulk obviously), A-Bomb and Skaar do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished adding all the links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great job, very thematic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I like almost all of this, but I think you made a mistake in overlooking one of Hulk's constant battles: Hulk versus himself.

Either something about curing the Hulk or Hulk alienating everyone (Lose All Your Friends) would work nicely.

Lose Your Friends would essentially be Go...Kill Hero's Ancestors, but be more dangerous (unless I misunderstand how the actual Captain America Scheme works). It would play like Superhero Civil War so it lacks for originality, but it's too essential to Hulk's character to not be a Scheme in my mind.

I don't know how Cure the Hulk would work, but it's another major theme of the Hulk story.

Is Sauron a Hulk Villain? I had no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
I like almost all of this, but I think you made a mistake in overlooking one of Hulk's constant battles: Hulk versus himself.

Either something about curing the Hulk or Hulk alienating everyone (Lose All Your Friends) would work nicely.

Lose Your Friends would essentially be Go...Kill Hero's Ancestors, but be more dangerous (unless I misunderstand how the actual Captain America Scheme works). It would play like Superhero Civil War so it lacks for originality, but it's too essential to Hulk's character to not be a Scheme in my mind.

I don't know how Cure the Hulk would work, but it's another major theme of the Hulk story.

I tried to capture this to some extent with the Divided card and alternate uncommon on the Bruce Banner set, but here's a bonus scheme just for you (title could maybe be improved):

Get inside Hulk's Head
Set-up: 8 Twists. Use 4 wounds per player in the wound stack. Use Hulk.
Special: Whenever you KO a wound, return it to the wound stack.
Twist 1-7: Cross-Dimensional Hulk Rampage.
Twist 8: Each player gains three wounds.
Evil wins: When the wound stack runs out.

Quote:
Is Sauron a Hulk Villain? I had no idea.

Not really, no, but I think he does appear in Agents of SMASH (I saw lots of images when I was looking for art) and he is primarily associated with the Savage Land, which was stomping ground for Skaar for a while I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarification: I think Bruce Banner should count for Cross-Dimensional Hulk Rampage, but A-Bomb and Skaar should not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this set-up:

M: Loki
S: Get Inside Hulk's Head
V: Radiation, Hand Ninjas
H: Hulk, Magik, Mr Fantastic

The scheme worked pretty well. I got pretty lucky with the Villain deck, lots of Villains out early and not many scheme twists. Still there were a few turns where there was only 1 wound left in the stack and I could have lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just posted this on the thread where the Bruce Banner cards are, but re-posting here to hopefully reach a few more people:

Quote:
I have a whopping 6.7 in GeekGold that I will happily distribute in tips to anyone who can help me find images I like for my Bruce Banner / Tony Stark Cards above.

Here's a run down of what I'm looking for:

Bruce Banner:
You Wouldn't like Me When I'm Angry:
-Bruce mid-transformation, muscles bulging, maybe green eyes, hand raised as if to say get back, unfortunately most of what I could find had him in multiple states from Banner to Hulk in a single frame which is not what I want
Search for a Cure:
-Banner doing Science stuff in a lab
Search for Friends:
-Hulk befriending/protecting someone/cute animals
don't need the other guy
-Bruce seeming determined/defiant; maybe using a gun or triggering an explosive/doing something with tech stuff

-for the rest of Bruce's cards any image of angry hulk smashing stuff will do, I can find those

Tony Stark:
Turn to my friends
-Tony with Rhodey, Pepper etc or other Avengers, or on the phone
Turn to the bottle
-Tony drinking alone
Find a workaround
-Tony working/studying in one of his science labs
Fighting with my Demons
-hard to be sure what will work here, something representing Tony fighting his internal struggles/looking distressed/angry, but preferably in armor
inventive solution
-similar to find a workaround above, but more like the end result, where he's come up with something that works
uni-beam
-classic pose blasting the big energy beam out of his chest

Also, bonus points if you can find me an image of Skaar throwing someone/something (for my Skaar custom)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Assuming Skaar matters to Hulk (and how could he not?), Sauron is a perennial Savage Land nemesis, so it makes sense to have him. I'd prefer Leader or someone more deeply connected to Hulk, but Sauron should be fine.

I can just print some of those Leader custom cards, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Enhance Aggressive Tendencies last night with Stryfe leading Wasteland and the Khonshu Guardians against Bishop, Black Bolt and X-Force Wolverine. It played ok, though I've made a minor tweak, removing the need to pay recruit to clear your Victory Pile of wounds when you defeat the mastermind. I found that actually brought some much needed relief from the onward march of the rage enhanced villains. I managed to scrape a win with only 2 villains escaped, but I only managed to get 2 villains into my victory pile. It also meant that each time you hit the mastermind was kind of an event, made it a little more exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
I'd prefer Leader or someone more deeply connected to Hulk, but Sauron should be fine.

I've just posted a Nightmare custom if you prefer. He tormented Hulk for years, and is thematically perfect for the Get Inside Hulk's Head scheme:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24173055#24173055

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.