GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,869 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Valley of the Kings: Afterlife» Forums » General

Subject: Combining cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cathy Zampogna
msg tools
Hello,
I just got all 3 valley of the kings versions. At this point I've only played the base game but looking at the cards in the new sets I think they will add quite a bit to the game. My question is does anyone have a combination they love or a suggestion on how to combine the 3 versions and which starting cards do you like best?
Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CathyZ228 wrote:
Hello,
I just got all 3 valley of the kings versions. At this point I've only played the base game but looking at the cards in the new sets I think they will add quite a bit to the game. My question is does anyone have a combination they love or a suggestion on how to combine the 3 versions and which starting cards do you like best?
Thanks!!

I'm actually toying with the idea of combining sets for solo play to create a cohesive narrative, following closely to Tom Cleavers article on Burial practices. The play will involve 3 games, which will have a 'Legacy' feature.

First game is with Artisans, Builders, Weapons and Chambers plus Last Rites Unique; the 10 starter cards will have the menials, urns, box of food and a medjay.

My idea of play will be that there is a logical sequence in play: you can't build a tomb until the astrologer has been 'entomb' or rather he has done his job of finding a site; next is the architect, overseer and the engineer who allows the brick mason to get to work (however you can have some artisans 'entombed' such as weaver, leather workers etc), which then allows the chambers to be built, the plasterer to get to work etc.

That is the idea, the legacy part is if you can't entomb a potter at game end you can't put the canopic jars in the 2nd or 3rd game; if you don't entomb the medjay last, you lose one weapon card from the tomb.

Like I say it is an idea, will try out next time.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep all sets stored separately and randomly pick sets based on the chart in the Last Rites rulebook. That way you keep the card number and sets balanced but every game plays out differently. It does mean set up is a bit longer but I think it's worth the trade off. I haven't put much thought in how to mix the starter cards yet but you could potentially also randomize which sets of 4, 3, 2, 1 starter cards you use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All -

Please note that there are suggested combined sets on the AEG website at:
https://www.alderac.com/valleyofthekings/valley-of-the-kings...

I'm also interested in your favorite combined set games. You can send them to me by email at goodtimegames@live.com.

Thanks,
Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dorton
United States
Norton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the original set. I own Afterlife and Last Rites is there a list like the ones you linked, that show for an Friendly laid back set.. down to an Intense setting?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
systomx wrote:
All -

I'm also interested in your favorite combined set games. You can send them to me by email at goodtimegames@live.com.

Thanks,
Tom Cleaver

Tom, are there going to any more sets or has the trilogy been laid to rest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pusboyau wrote:
systomx wrote:
All -

Thanks,
Tom Cleaver

Tom, are there going to any more sets or has the trilogy been laid to rest

Nick,

There won't be a 2017 release, but MAYBE 2018. Thanks for asking.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.