2 Posts

Fall of Magic» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Fall of Magic Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor C
Canada
flag msg tools
After looking at this game and reading as much as I could online, and watching as much as I could on youtube, I finally managed to get this through my local games store.

Visually, this is one of the most mesmerizing, pretty games I have played. A canvas, silk-screened scroll with metal coins gives amazing production value.

Rule-wise, this game is pretty bare bones. It has very little in the way of rules, and that is intentional to encourage you to come up with your own, develop things on the fly, and find what works for your group.

In short, you take turns describing scenes with your characters. After everyone has described a scene from the map prompts, you can either continue your scene or elect to move the magus, who then gets his own scene (played by the mover) before the cycle repeats..... that's really all the rules there are.

By the time two hours rolled around my friends and I had a mythical, legendary fox shape shifted into a human assisting the magus, along with the pregnant midwife in the wrong place at the wrong time and a cursed knight of storm guard who really had no idea what he was doing. The fox kept killing deer and freaking out the villagers.

By two hours we had moved a few inches across the 5 foot long scroll and called it a night.

This is a magical game, but how magical it is depends on you and your friends and just how silly and imaginative you are willing to get. The group you play with can help shape this into the best, or worst game you've played, so choose your crew carefully. Game is not even the right word for what this is. The map and instructions give you the basis for a collaborative storytelling experience.

This game is at its heart about telling stories and letting your imagination take hold in a way you probably haven't let it since your childhood.

Highly recommended, and in my opinion the experiences i've had to date are more than worth the (somewhat) steep price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radrunner007 wrote:
After looking at this game and reading as much as I could online, and watching as much as I could on youtube, I finally managed to get this through my local games store.

Visually, this is one of the most mesmerizing, pretty games I have played. A canvas, silk-screened scroll with metal coins gives amazing production value.

Rule-wise, this game is pretty bare bones. It has very little in the way of rules, and that is intentional to encourage you to come up with your own, develop things on the fly, and find what works for your group.

In short, you take turns describing scenes with your characters. After everyone has described a scene from the map prompts, you can either continue your scene or elect to move the magus, who then gets his own scene (played by the mover) before the cycle repeats..... that's really all the rules there are.

By the time two hours rolled around my friends and I had a mythical, legendary fox shape shifted into a human assisting the magus, along with the pregnant midwife in the wrong place at the wrong time and a cursed knight of storm guard who really had no idea what he was doing. The fox kept killing deer and freaking out the villagers.

By two hours we had moved a few inches across the 5 foot long scroll and called it a night.

This is a magical game, but how magical it is depends on you and your friends and just how silly and imaginative you are willing to get. The group you play with can help shape this into the best, or worst game you've played, so choose your crew carefully. Game is not even the right word for what this is. The map and instructions give you the basis for a collaborative storytelling experience.

This game is at its heart about telling stories and letting your imagination take hold in a way you probably haven't let it since your childhood.

Highly recommended, and in my opinion the experiences i've had to date are more than worth the (somewhat) steep price.

Thank you for sharing your review. I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.