Hide
14 Posts

New Bedford» Forums » Rules

Subject: Captains Orders confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Doyen
msg tools
I'm sorry to post another question but this rule book is kind of frustrating.

Flask has captains orders as follows:
1)Flask Building > Town Building
2)Money > Inn > Lighthouse
3)Opponents Building > Food > Brick

Say he cannot build because the building is not available or he has reached his building limit.

The next option is money. Do I follow his preferences from the first line of the captains orders or does Flask just go to any place on the board that is available that would yield the most money?

For line three, I'm assuming that means he is trying to use an opponents building to achieve his heading, not just any building correct? And if that is not available, does he choose whichever space yields the most food or brick, or does he fall back to his preferences order in the first line (flask building then town building)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ddoyen wrote:
I'm sorry to post another question but this rule book is kind of frustrating.

Flask has captains orders as follows:
1)Flask Building > Town Building
2)Money > Inn > Lighthouse
3)Opponents Building > Food > Brick

Say he cannot build because the building is not available or he has reached his building limit.

The next option is money. Do I follow his preferences from the first line of the captains orders or does Flask just go to any place on the board that is available that would yield the most money?

For line three, I'm assuming that means he is trying to use an opponents building to achieve his heading, not just any building correct? And if that is not available, does he choose whichever space yields the most food or brick, or does he fall back to his preferences order in the first line (flask building then town building)?

When a captain changes heading to a "resource", you always follow his step one priorities. So you would check Flask's buildings for a money building. If he didn't have one, you would check the town buildings (there are no money buildings in town). Then you would check the next priority in line 2 (Inn then Lighthouse), if either of those specific buildings are available anywhere he would use them. Finally you would check line 3. First of all he would check to see if his current heading "money" was available in an opponents building, if not he would move to the next steps of looking for food or brick. First check his own buildings (first for food, then for brick) and if neither of those were available he would check town buildings (first for food, then for brick) so he would take the "farm" space for food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doyen
msg tools
Thanks again for the help Rev! I'm enjoying this game more with each play thanks to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ddoyen wrote:
Thanks again for the help Rev! I'm enjoying this game more with each play thanks to you!

No problem! It is an awesome game, but the solo rules can definitely be a bit unclear in places. It took me some stumbling around the forums to finally get the hang of them, so I figure my experience should help others too. Once you finally get the hang of the solo rules they are actually very easy to operate, and they make for fun and effective opponents. My preference these days is to play against 2 AI captains, it is the most satisfying experience and you get to use more of the buildings in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doyen
msg tools
Yes, I have been playing against Starbuck and Flask and have been getting creamed. I'm still trying to work out effective strategies. Seems like I never have enough resources to build and get a decent amount of whales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
francie berger
United States
ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just tried the solo variant yesterday and wondering- does the player pay $1 to use the Captain's buildings? I have assumed so, but could definitely be wrong.....
Also, if the Captain rolls a prepare or launch ship action and both of his ships are at sea already does he re-roll or just skip the turn?
Love, love, love this game, can't wait for my expansion to arrive. Any chance of the White Whale being available for sale anytime?
Thanx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
mowgli95 wrote:
Just tried the solo variant yesterday and wondering- does the player pay $1 to use the Captain's buildings? I have assumed so, but could definitely be wrong.....

Yes, as if the captain were another player

Quote:
Also, if the Captain rolls a prepare or launch ship action and both of his ships are at sea already does he re-roll or just skip the turn?
Love, love, love this game, can't wait for my expansion to arrive. Any chance of the White Whale being available for sale anytime?
Thanx!

If both ships are at sea, them simply move on down the captain's orders, as if the action space were occupied.

Glad you're enjoying it! I believe the White Whale will eventually be in the BGG store, but sadly, I have no info about timing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
mowgli95 wrote:

Yes, as if the captain were another player

Quote:
Thanx!

If both ships are at sea, them simply move on down the captain's orders, as if the action space were occupied.

Glad you're enjoying it! I believe the White Whale will eventually be in the BGG store, but sadly, I have no info about timing.

If a captain is at their whale limit (Flask for instance), would I handle it the same way as you mention in bold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By strict interpretation of the rules, if they are at the whale limit, the captain would still send a ship out to sea. It gives the player more selection, which is usually balancing out a very lucky captain.

Ignoring the whaling actions completely will probably make the captain a bit more powerful, but if you're up for the challenge, go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks!

One more quick one related to captains at their whaling limit.

Per the errata thread, you mention captains buy sold whales. Do these count against the whaling limit? I suppose I could just set them in a different pile to keep track of them separately. I apologize if this has been answered in a different thread. You have been great with answers to questions and I really appreciate it.

Edit: The first few times, I played Flask's action as a 2 in 1 prep and launch, which ensured he got 14 whales every time. After playing correctly, he would have exceeded 14 if my bsold whales counted for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, purchased whales would also count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a followup question to the discussion above. Let's say Starbuck must go to the 2nd line of his Captain's orders. The Inn is not available, so he goes to the Lighthouse. Does he just go there and block the space, or does he actually move one of his ships further out on the whaling track? If he does move a ship, which ship does he move if both are launched?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the captain would perform the action just like a player would. Always the farther out ship, if possible. If the captain can't move his farther ship, move the other ship.
If neither of the captain's ships can be moved (some very rare circumstances), he would skip the lighthouse, just as a player would be forced to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.