12 Posts

The Edge: Dawnfall» Forums » General

Subject: Boss Monsters are 60 Pounds? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Am I reading this correctly? Is there something I'm missing? It looks like you get one figure for 60 pounds? This seems ridiculous to me. Does the main game come with plastic boss figures but these are made of resin which is why they are so expensive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The factions (main game) are all plastic. The boss and terrain expansions are resin.

I believe somewhere they mentioned looking into plastic versions of these expansions. I don't know if it was a post or a KS update.

Nope, looked it up and they said that plastic version is unlikely due to the size of the models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
The factions (main game) are all plastic. The boss and terrain expansions are resin.

I believe somewhere they mentioned looking into plastic versions of these expansions. I don't know if it was a post or a KS update.

Nope, looked it up and they said that plastic version is unlikely due to the size of the models.

I'm not too familiar with the difference between plastic and resin. Are resin models easier to break? From what I'm reading the quality in terms of detail is much better but I haven't been able to find anything about durability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Resin is harder than plastic and therefore it's more fragile. It's still resilient but you don't want to be knocking the minis on the table. Resin detail greatly exceeds plastic and resin is used for models that have more dynamic and 3D forms. It's harder to work with overall than plastic, but it does look better and is sometimes the only option for certain sculpts. I recommend checking out the Kingdom Death resin vs plastic models to get an idea of the differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that as an American I thought the models weighed 60 lbs or added 60 pounds to shipping weight. I was a little slow on the uptake. I think that from looking at Warhammer 40k stuff the prices aren't actually nuts, however I am not a Warhammer 40k player so paying 75 american dollars for a model is loopy. For the price of four models I can get 4-6 whole games is what my brain tells me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
I love that as an American I thought the models weighed 60 lbs or added 60 pounds to shipping weight. I was a little slow on the uptake. I think that from looking at Warhammer 40k stuff the prices aren't actually nuts, however I am not a Warhammer 40k player so paying 75 american dollars for a model is loopy. For the price of four models I can get 4-6 whole games is what my brain tells me.

That's exactly why I clicked on the post. Warhammer, Warmachine and other tabletop games are slightly different beasts in that they're more like magic and hobbies in themselves. Games like this one are designed with those kinds of games in mind, capturing the feel and look of a miniature game with unique structure and gameplay. But they keep those minis, and the minis are more expensive than cardboard and wood. The thing that frustrates some people is the expense of all the plastic vs the fact that the game would be the "same" with wood and cardboard. But the designers likely don't feel it would be the same, and it's not that they're gouging anyone like Games Workshop.

Kingdom Death is the prime example: a $400 game that could be played with cardboard and plastic but the designer doesn't think it will be the same game. I actually agree with him in that case; sometimes the minis add to the feel. Still, minis go hand in hand with painting and the hobby aspect, and if a game is releasing with resin minis then there's strong emphasis on the design and look of the game. Resin minis are definitely a bit more of a pain to put together but if you're really into the game, and like the aesthetic, it's worth having a high quality product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S W
msg tools
It's worth pointing out that the resin models are meant more for collectors and painters than gamers. I think the position of the designers is that the gameplay rules included for the resin models are really a bonus.

If you're a gamer rather than a painter or miniature collector, then you're not really target audience for the resin kits IMO. You shouldn't need to buy one for the game to feel "complete".

To quote awaken realms from the comments on kickstarter:

'Bosses are mostly collectors pieces with additional scenarios for solo or "players vs game" mode and are not part of player versus player game '

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has been painting for a few months they look like fun models to tackle. The sculpts look very well done and I would love to paint them but since I have not made the upgrade to an airbrush yet I don't think tackling a big model is a good idea. They do look really nice, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arneth Lee
msg tools
mbmbmb
up to the moment that the players buying them will be moaning about not being able to field them during VS-games, and then they will get rules that are game changing and make them into autoincludes gulp
/rant

60€ for a Model when the price of a faction is 45€ (at the moment) is ridonkolous. But they are called AI-Demon Expansion, so maybe they include some sort of campaign autopilot for the included story missions for that faction? Something like, oh no, the evil Murderkill Cutsyourface ravages the country! We need to defeat the demons in the vulcano in the first mission so we can get the mcguffin for the second mission!
Maybe the bosses insted add missions for the scenario play, think optional missions, like the Ally missions of Imperial Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S W
msg tools
Just a quick update to note that awaken realms have announced that they're releasing cardboard cut-outs for all the bosses, including all rules and scenarios, for £25. That's for all six bosses, of course, not each!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Siseph wrote:
Just a quick update to note that awaken realms have announced that they're releasing cardboard cut-outs for all the bosses, including all rules and scenarios, for £25. That's for all six bosses, of course, not each!

Definitely in for that. No way I'm paying that much for monsters + the terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gringe Commander
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
they are expensive, because they are HUGE. And i mean really really huge.
The only thing in my collection that come close in size the Great Red Dragon from Ral Partha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.