Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my entry into the 2016 Children's PnP game design contest.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1662855/2016-childrens-game-...

WALL CLIMBERS

Components:
Game board
Cards
Colored cubes
Dice
rules

Synopsis:
You compete against your opponent to climb to the top of the wall before your opponent.

You will use dice with images of hands and feet, which you will roll and then match up with the same images on the game board. By placing your dice on the images you can progress up the wall to the top.

There is also a falling image on the die and if you roll three of those images you fall. You can prevent this by securing your rope to the wall in three different places. If you have secured your rope you will only fall to the nearest secured point on the wall.

If you don't have your rope secured or your opponent pulls out your secure point, you fall to the bottom and lose.

Right now I'm in the idea phase and have started putting together the rules and components.

More to come...

Joe

# of Players - 2
Game time - 30min

Categories:

Matching/Pattern Recognition
Dexterity
Strategy Game
Best Original Artwork
Children's Choice

Here is the link to all the files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uh9q1fotjt6r25a/AABX8X767jSIcvZ5v...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Wall Climbers - 2016 children's PnP game contest
Rules so far:

Wall Climbers

Synopsis:
Wall Climbers is a game for 2 players competing against each other to reach the top of a rock climbing wall first. The game plays using turns and actions. On the start of the turn both players roll their [4] climbing action dice and use them to progress up the face of the rock wall. Each player has [2] action/reaction cards they can use during their turn to modify their dice or their opponents dice. As the players progress up the rock wall they may slip and fall causing them to either drop to the bottom of the wall or stay on the wall if they have secured their rope. The first one to reach the top of the rock wall is the winner.

# of players: 2
Play time: 15 to 30 min
Player age: 6 and up

Components:
Game board
[4] Red climbing action dice d6
[4] Blue climbing action dice d6
[2] Player Climbing pieces “Red and Blue climbing player piece”
[4] Red BLOCK Markers
[4] Blue BLOCK Markers
[4] Red rope secure markers “cubes”
[4] Blue rope secure markers “cubes”
[32] Cards – 16 Red player cards and 16 Blue player cards
Rules

Setup:
1. Place the game board in the middle of the table in front of both players “player sit side by side”
2. Determine player #1 through the normal method and that player decide his colored dice “Red or Blue” and places them in front of him/her.
3. Shuffle the [16] card individual decks and place them to the side of the board with the corresponding colored climbing track
4. Deal out [2] cards to each player face down from their colored deck
5. Place the corresponding colored ROPE secure markers in front of each player.
6. Place the corresponding colored BLOCK markers in front of each player.
7. Place the corresponding colored Player climbing piece in front of each player.
8. The game is now ready to play.

Game Play:
Wall Climbers is played in turns and rounds using player actions. At the start of a turn both players roll their [4] climbing dice and place them in their colored climbing track at the bottom of the game board.
Player #1 starts the round by performing one of three actions:

1. Play a die
2. Play a card
3. Pass

Play a die – “At the start of a new game” If one of the four dice on the players climbing track has an image that matches an image on the bottom row with three spaces, that die can be placed on the space with the corresponding image. “After the initial start of a new game” If one of the four or remaining dice matches one of the adjacent spaces to the previously placed die “8 spaces”, the player can place the die in that space and will end their round.

Rules for placing dice on the rock wall:

1. The game starts with player’s placing a die “one die at a time” starting on the bottom row “the initial 3 spaces above their colored track” and progressing up the rock wall row by row using each die until they have reached to top of the rock wall.
2. Once a die has been placed on the board it can’t be removed until both players perform a PASS action and at that time a player will place their climbing piece under the highest die placed on the rock wall and remove all their dice from the rock wall.
3. The next die to be placed must be placed adjacent to the previously placed die “in one of the eight surrounding spaces”. This means you can place the next die diagonal, up, down, left or right to the previous die.
4. A die can’t be placed in a space that has a BLOCK marker within it not matter what color of the die is on the token.
5. A die can’t be placed on a blank space.
6. A die can’t be placed on top of another die.
7. A die can’t be placed on a space with a Rope Secure marker.
8. If the player can’t place a die on the rock wall and is unable to play one of his/her cards, that player must PASS this round.
9. Once both players have performed a PASS action, the turn is over and a new turn begins.

Play a card – Whether a player can play a die or not, the player has the option to play a card from their hand during the round if they have a card available. To play a card, the player takes the card from their hand and places it face up between both players. Depending on whether the card is an offensive or defensive action “meaning it is played to help the player or played against their opponent” its effects are played immediately.

• PLACE A BLOCK MARKER ON THE WALL – When this card is played, the player who is presenting the card will take one of their BLOCK markers “if available” and place it on the rock wall within any available space “a space that doesn’t have a die or any other marker in it”. This marker prevents any player from placing a die within the space until it is removed at a later time in the game. Once all of a player’s four BLOCK markers are placed on the rock wall, that player is unable to play the BLOCK marker card to place any new BLOCK marker. After all four marker have been placed on the rock wall, the owning of the BLOCK markers can pull off any [1] marker and place it back next to the side of the game board of that player.

• RE-ROLL ONE OF YOUR DICE – When this card is played, the player who is presenting the card can take ONE of his/her die from the climbing track and reroll it. This new value is then placed back on the climbing track and can be used during this round.

• RE-ROLL ALL OF YOUR DICE – When this card is played, the player who is presenting the card can take ALL of his/her remaining dice from the climbing track and reroll them. These new values are then placed back on the climbing track and can be used during this round.

• RE-ROLL ONE OF YOUR OPPONENTS DICE – When this card is played, the player who is presenting the card can take ONE of his/her OPPONENTS die from their climbing track and reroll it. This new value is then placed back on the opponents climbing track and can be used during the opponents next round.

• OPPONENT RE-ROLLS ALL OF THEIR DICE – When this card is played, the OPPONENT of the player who is presenting the card MUST reroll ALL of their remaining dice in their climbing track. These new values are then placed back on the climbing track and can be used on that player’s round.

• LOCK ONE OF YOUR OPPONENTS DIE TO THE TRACK – When this card is played, the player who is presenting the card will remove one of the remaining dice on the OPPONENTS climbing track and place it in front of his opponent. This die is not available for use until the next turn.

• PULL ONE OF YOUR OPPONENTS DICE FROM THE WALL – When this card is played, the player who is presenting the card will remove one of the OPPONENTS dice from the climbing wall. This die is then placed in front of the player and can be use on the opponents next turn. It is not available for use during this turn.

• FLIP ONE OF YOUR DICE 180 DEGREES – When this card is played, the player who is presenting the card can take ONE of his/her die from the climbing track and FLIP it over 180 degrees. This new value is then placed back on the climbing track and can be used during this round.

• CHANGE ONE DIE TO ANY DICE FACE – When this card is played, the player who is presenting the card can take ONE of his/her die from the climbing track and change the face to any desired value. This new value is then placed back on the climbing track and can be used on the player’s next round.

• FALL – When this card is played, the player who is presenting the card causes the opponent to slip and fall. Remove all of the opponents dice played on the rock wall above the last placed Rope Secure marker. On the opponents next round, he/she must start playing dice from this rope secure marker. If the opponents rope is not secured and the player falls to the bottom of the rock wall, that player loses. This card can't be played against the opponent if they have not played any dice above the dashed safety line.

• HAND GRAB – When this card is played, the player who is presenting the card cancels out the FALL card if it was played against this player. Both cards are discarded.

Once a card has been played and the action taken, it is placed in the action cards discard pile.

PASS – If a player can't play a die on the rock wall or play an action card, they must perform a PASS. The player announces he/she is passing this round and the other player can take another action. If both players announce that they are PASSING then the turn is over and each player places their Climber playing piece underneath the highest die placed. This will be the starting point of the next turn. All dice are them removed from the rock wall and placed in a pile in front of the respective players.

Play continues with each player taking one of the above actions during each turn until one player places a die in one of the four top spaces on the rock wall. Once a die has been placed in one of these four spaces that player wins and the game is over. On the next game the losing player gets to be player #1.

Winning condition: Both players play a total of 5 games and the player with the most wins is considered the ultimate climbing champion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Wall Climbers (Ideas phase) -- 2016 children's PnP game contest
reserved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some initial images of the components:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Cool! Reminds me of Twister but without the body odour....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Cool! Reminds me of Twister but without the body odour....

LOL! Now that you mention it, it does have that look.

I'm pretty close to having files ready to play test. I will also have a dice image version for those who don't want to put stickers on their dice.

I think this one will be great for kids and adults alike because it teaches pattern recognition, plan development, strategy of dice placement, when to play your cards as opposed to your dice and tactics of whether to focus on your opponent or your own route.
I'm also thinking of making an advanced version for adults after the contest.

I've made some engraved dice To go with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WALL CLIMBERS now COMPONENTS AVAILABLE!

I've added the files into Dropbox at this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uh9q1fotjt6r25a/AABX8X767jSIcvZ5v...

Components:
Game Board - You can print either the 11x17 game board OR the [2] 8.5x11 sheets to make up the game board.
1 sheet of Blue player cards
1 sheet of Red player cards
1 sheet with all tokens and dice images
Rules to come soon...

Everything is in PDF format!

Here are the images of the components:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added a version of the game board into Dropbox that uses the regular dice images for those who don't want to use the graphic images for the dice. This way you can play using just regular dice with no images attached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making a version with regular die faces. I'm sure that will allow more people to play.

This is looking very cool!

By the way, please remember to include a link to the components in the first post of the thread. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
Thanks for making a version with regular die faces. I'm sure that will allow more people to play.

This is looking very cool!

By the way, please remember to include a link to the components in the first post of the thread. Thanks!

Thanks,

Updated the link in the first post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick heads up regarding the rules. I've added that each player draw two cards from their deck once they have both passed and the turn is over. Plus, each player can only have four cards max in their hand.
I forgot to add these rules and they will be updated tonight.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you good with marking this Contest Ready?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
Are you good with marking this Contest Ready?

I haven't had any play testers as of yet but I would say as a whole it is contest ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the rules and looked at the files.

Don't know if I'll get a chance to build it or play it.

But from what I have seen so far, I like it.
Great theme and mechanics.

I am wondering what the yellow and gray icons are supposed to be? They look like peppers to me.
And why aren't there any foot icons? If the peppers are supposed to be feet, then I suggest trying to make them look more like feet or shoes than like peppers.

Also, I'm more likely to build and play if you can make it black&white printer friendly. The icons mostly print fine but the player colors are hard to tell apart and use a lot of ink. For player colors may I suggest white and med. gray for a black&white printer version?

I can totally see this being produced with a vertical board. (I'm picturing Connect Four as an example of a vertical board). I see little hooks that you hang your pieces off of to show where you are on the vertical board with cool climber tokens that hook onto the board and dangle there.

Again, great theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
I have read the rules and looked at the files.

Don't know if I'll get a chance to build it or play it.

But from what I have seen so far, I like it.
Great theme and mechanics.

I am wondering what the yellow and gray icons are supposed to be? They look like peppers to me.
And why aren't there any foot icons? If the peppers are supposed to be feet, then I suggest trying to make them look more like feet or shoes than like peppers.

Also, I'm more likely to build and play if you can make it black&white printer friendly. The icons mostly print fine but the player colors are hard to tell apart and use a lot of ink. For player colors may I suggest white and med. gray for a black&white printer version?

I can totally see this being produced with a vertical board. (I'm picturing Connect Four as an example of a vertical board). I see little hooks that you hang your pieces off of to show where you are on the vertical board with cool climber tokens that hook onto the board and dangle there.

Again, great theme.

Thanks for checking my game out. Te peppers "lol" are supposed to be rock climbing shoe images but I guess that didn't work out to well. I think I'll judt go with your suggestion and use feet images.
I'll rework the gray scale version so hopefully you'll give the game a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I built this over the weekend. My daughter was excited to help so she cut out the cards. They're pretty jagged but should be playable. I'll let you know how it goes when we play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few questions on the rules.

1. When placing a die on the wall, it only has to match one or the other symbol in a square, correct? i.e. If a square shows a 1 and a 6, you can match it with either a 1 or 6. You don't have to use two dice to match.

2. When placing a block marker, can it be anywhere on the wall? Or do you need to place it adjacent to your climber?

3. The rules mention that the blockers can be removed once you've placed all four. Can you place them on the wall again once they've come off?

4. Does the Re-Roll All dice card require you to reroll all dice or can you re-roll only a few? Can you choose to play that card after you've placed a few dice on the wall?

5. The "Pull One of Your Opponent's Dice from the Wall" card says that you can take off a die from your opponent. Does this need to be the highest die on the wall? Or can you take off one of the lower dice?

6. Follow up question to #5 (assuming that you can take off a lower die.) If you take off a die that isn't the highest one on the wall, can the opponent continue playing from their highest die?

7. How do you place a Rope Secure marker?

8. How does the "Fall" die face work? Is it just a die you can't place? If you're stuck with one or more of these, do you just pass your turn?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
I have a few questions on the rules.

1. When placing a die on the wall, it only has to match one or the other symbol in a square, correct? i.e. If a square shows a 1 and a 6, you can match it with either a 1 or 6. You don't have to use two dice to match.

2. When placing a block marker, can it be anywhere on the wall? Or do you need to place it adjacent to your climber?

3. The rules mention that the blockers can be removed once you've placed all four. Can you place them on the wall again once they've come off?

4. Does the Re-Roll All dice card require you to reroll all dice or can you re-roll only a few? Can you choose to play that card after you've placed a few dice on the wall?

5. The "Pull One of Your Opponent's Dice from the Wall" card says that you can take off a die from your opponent. Does this need to be the highest die on the wall? Or can you take off one of the lower dice?

6. Follow up question to #5 (assuming that you can take off a lower die.) If you take off a die that isn't the highest one on the wall, can the opponent continue playing from their highest die?

7. How do you place a Rope Secure marker?

8. How does the "Fall" die face work? Is it just a die you can't place? If you're stuck with one or more of these, do you just pass your turn?

Thanks!

1A: As long as one of the dice shows a 1 or a 6 then you can place one of them; you don't have to place both of them.

2A: Anywhere on the wall is correct.

3A: Yes, you can start placing them all on the wall again one at a time. Again and again...

4A: Yes, you can reroll some, none or all! Yes, you don't have to play the card immediately, it can be after you've placed some dice on the wall.

5A: It can be any die you choose on the wall.

6A: Yes, that is correct!

7A: Sorry, I forgot to add that to the rules! This should be the last step in the players turn. It's not an action but more a process of completing the players turn. If after both players have taken all their actions, they can place a rope secure marker on the game board "if they have any rope secure markers left". Once all four markers are on the board, you no longer have the step to take.

8A: Wow, totally missed adding that to the rules also. The way the fall die is suppose to work is similar to the FALL card. If you roll three or more FALL dice, you pull all your dice that are above the rope secure marker just like the card says. Your turn is over and on your next turn you roll your dice and start at the highest rope secure marker. If you didn't have a rope secure marker above the safety line, you lose!

I will update the rules will all these answers! thanks for asking these questions and catching these missed items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers!

kingspud wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:

In this case, is there any reason to not take off the highest positioned die? Does it hurt your opponent at all to take off on the lower dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
Thanks for the answers!

kingspud wrote:
chansen2794 wrote:

In this case, is there any reason to not take off the highest positioned die? Does it hurt your opponent at all to take off on the lower dice?

It all depends on the die image on the wall next to the die you want to remove. Remember that some images on the wall are easier to obtain then others and you might want to pull a die that is close to a certain image because I might not come up as easy.

Mainly you are trying to advance up the wall so you would want to remove the highest die possible because that is what you tend to continue from.

Also, certain cards can affect the dice on the wall so depending on what cards you play they could affect which dice you want to pull off first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter and I played through a game last night. She loved the "Take That" aspect of the game and just relished every opportunity she had to knock me off the wall. I was being a little nicer to her than she was being to me, but most of the cards definitely involve a "Take That" action.

A few observations:
The rules talk about placing all four of your block markers on the wall and even taking them off so you can use them again. However, there are only two cards in your deck that let you place a block marker. So to use up all the block markers, you'd have to burn through your deck at least twice. That seems unlikely considering that we reached the top without even getting through the deck once.

The rules never say when to draw new cards. I assume that each turn you may play two cards and then draw two new cards on your next turn.
If you only play one card on your turn, what do you do? Do you draw just one new card at the start of your next turn? Do you discard the unplayed card and draw two new cards? Do you draw two cards and then have a total of three in your hand?

My daughter really enjoyed playing and wants to play again. She understood the cards just by reading them. (I didn't explain all the cards before hand.) Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
My daughter and I played through a game last night. She loved the "Take That" aspect of the game and just relished every opportunity she had to knock me off the wall. I was being a little nicer to her than she was being to me, but most of the cards definitely involve a "Take That" action.

A few observations:
The rules talk about placing all four of your block markers on the wall and even taking them off so you can use them again. However, there are only two cards in your deck that let you place a block marker. So to use up all the block markers, you'd have to burn through your deck at least twice. That seems unlikely considering that we reached the top without even getting through the deck once.

The rules never say when to draw new cards. I assume that each turn you may play two cards and then draw two new cards on your next turn.
If you only play one card on your turn, what do you do? Do you draw just one new card at the start of your next turn? Do you discard the unplayed card and draw two new cards? Do you draw two cards and then have a total of three in your hand?

My daughter really enjoyed playing and wants to play again. She understood the cards just by reading them. (I didn't explain all the cards before hand.) Well done!

Thanks Chris you totally made my day! With regard to the cards "which i forgot to add and this is why plat testers are so valuable" it should be the last phase of the turn where you can discard any number of your remaining cards and draw back up to four cards in you hand. This way you always have four cards in your hand to start your turn. This will also produce a "block marker" card sooner now than you've seen in your games.

How old is your daughter and did I get the age requirements correct or does it need updating.

I hope the take that approach isn't too much, what do you think. I'll send you guys some engraved dice so your daughter can play using the actual climing images.
Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, i have an updated version of the game graphics coming soon, which I'll be asking your opinion on.
Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
it should be the last phase of the turn where you can discard any number of your remaining cards and draw back up to four cards in you hand. This way you always have four cards in your hand to start your turn.

The rules say that each player gets two cards. Should it actually be four cards?

Is discarding optional or can I hold onto a card from turn to turn (i.e. the card that prevents me from falling)

This will also produce a "block marker" card sooner now than you've seen in your games.

kingspud wrote:
How old is your daughter and did I get the age requirements correct or does it need updating.

She's seven. I'm not sure she could read well enough to play the cards at 6. I think she would have needed some help. But she did great with them now. The only thing she asked me is "What is an opponent?"

kingspud wrote:
I hope the take that approach isn't too much, what do you think. I'll send you guys some engraved dice so your daughter can play using the actual climing images.
Thanks again.

I think "Take That" games are just new to her. My wife hates that style of game so my daughter hasn't played many of them. But she really enjoyed the experience!

Thank you very much for the dice! She'll love that. She was disappointed that I printed the plain dice version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:

The rules say that each player gets two cards. Should it actually be four cards?
Is discarding optional or can I hold onto a card from turn to turn (i.e. the card that prevents me from falling)
This will also produce a "block marker" card sooner now than you've seen in your games.

Can you do me a favor and play test using 2 and then 4 cards during play?

I started with 4 but I wasn't sure if this gave too many card actions. Then again that is part of the game. More testing will determine if 2 or 4 cards is best. Also, it IS totally optional to discard cards or hold card in your hand; your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.