The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: OCTGN - My only option, but is it legal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
I really want to play this game but I can't find adventure packs like Hunt For Gollum, amongst others (in Europe).

Then I found out there is a program on Windows called OCTGN and it seems it has all expansions available for play. The question is would I be doing something illegal by doing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the legal status of OCTGN, but a whole lot of people use it, including the guys from the Grey Company podcast (a podcast focused solely on LOTR LCG). FFG is definitely aware of OCTGN and has had some interaction with them in the past. I don't know all the details but they seem to have worked something out. Ive tried it myself, it's a great way to play if you don't have access to the physical cards or a group to play with in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Like with VASSAL one player of the game is supposed to own a copy of the game being played. I phrase it that way because both of those allow for networked PvP matches, so if not playing solo it would conceivably be like playing the other player's copy.

I don't think that ule is enforceable but it's good ethics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the concern but I think (so far) it's not being contested as IP infringement.

I suspect FFG realizes it's mostly an aid to people who own the physical game but are without local companions, and that almost no one is playing this online just to avoid buying the physical game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
I understand the concern but I think (so far) it's not being contested as IP infringement.

I suspect FFG realizes it's mostly an aid to people who own the physical game but are without local companions, and that almost no one is playing this online just to avoid buying the physical game.

Just out of interest, is there a Mac friendly version of OCTGN?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mb
JimBGG wrote:
Robrob wrote:

Just out of interest, is there a Mac friendly version of OCTGN?

nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.