The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: OCTGN - My only option, but is it legal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
I really want to play this game but I can't find adventure packs like Hunt For Gollum, amongst others (in Europe).

Then I found out there is a program on Windows called OCTGN and it seems it has all expansions available for play. The question is would I be doing something illegal by doing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the legal status of OCTGN, but a whole lot of people use it, including the guys from the Grey Company podcast (a podcast focused solely on LOTR LCG). FFG is definitely aware of OCTGN and has had some interaction with them in the past. I don't know all the details but they seem to have worked something out. Ive tried it myself, it's a great way to play if you don't have access to the physical cards or a group to play with in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Like with VASSAL one player of the game is supposed to own a copy of the game being played. I phrase it that way because both of those allow for networked PvP matches, so if not playing solo it would conceivably be like playing the other player's copy.

I don't think that ule is enforceable but it's good ethics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the concern but I think (so far) it's not being contested as IP infringement.

I suspect FFG realizes it's mostly an aid to people who own the physical game but are without local companions, and that almost no one is playing this online just to avoid buying the physical game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
I understand the concern but I think (so far) it's not being contested as IP infringement.

I suspect FFG realizes it's mostly an aid to people who own the physical game but are without local companions, and that almost no one is playing this online just to avoid buying the physical game.

Just out of interest, is there a Mac friendly version of OCTGN?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
JimBGG wrote:
Robrob wrote:

nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Forgive me for reviving an old post)

The other day I e-mailed FFG if it is okay to use OCTGN or not. Here is the result:

"Jun 6, 21:25 CDT
Message from:
Steven

E-mail:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Department:
General

I recently found out about OCTGN, which has a pc version of the entire Lord of the Rings card game. I was wondering if this was legal to download and play if I do not have every expansion (I only have the core set)?

Thank you.

Sherry Anisi (Asmodee North America)

Jun 14, 16:49 CDT
Hello Steven,

Thanks for your interest in our Lord of the Rings Card Game! We do not support or authorize the use of OCTGN.

Best wishes,

Sherry Anisi
Licensing Coordinator
Asmodee North America"

Looks like we all must uninstall OCTGN then. I understand why they would be against this software, but if we already own the core set, or whichever expansion, I do not see why it would be a problem to use only those cards we physically own. =/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epimer
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FFG have to say this. They cannot explicitly permit the use of their IP (in this case, card art and text) by an unauthorised third party, or it can be viewed by the courts as an implied license. It can also weaken their position against other potential infringers.

From an individual point of view, FFG aren't going to sue you for using OCTGN. That's just not practical.

From a community point of view, FFG are turning a blind eye to OCTGN and other online implementations of their games. We could speculate if this is because they don't have the budget or will to pursue legal action, or if they know that these implementations actually help build their communities, but we don't know. In the meantime, I would suggest not poking the bear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm not sure what other response you could have expected to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
msg tools
mbmbmb
Epimer wrote:
FFG have to say this. They cannot explicitly permit the use of their IP (in this case, card art and text) by an unauthorised third party,

Nor are they really in a position to authorize anyone, as the LotR license for digital games does not rest with them.

The rights to Middle Earth are a notorious quagmire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nicol
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
JimBGG wrote:
Robrob wrote:

On Mac you can use LackeyCCG. Development of Lackey seems to have stalled, but it still works. For a long time an LoTR LCG player called "Tragic the Blathering" maintained an LoTR plugin. Info here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/57275-lord-of...

His plugin seems to be offline at the moment, but it was working as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

It's pretty similar to OCTGN.

I once tried getting OCTGN to work using WINE, but it was buggy and kept crashing.

If you own an iPAD then you can also use LackeyCCG on iPad, but the interface is very cramped and the app hasn't been updated in a couple of years.

However for iPad I use and recommend CardWarden. It is a LOT of work getting your cards imported, but after that it is very smooth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epimer wrote:
In the meantime, I would suggest not poking the bear!

Meaning, do not use OCTGN?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StGemma123 wrote:
Meaning, do not use OCTGN?

Meaning don't contact FFG pointing out that there's this thing that probably infringes their intellectual property rights in one or more ways, and by the way loads of the community that also like to buy their game are using it, and it is OK if I use it even for the bits of the game I haven't bought?

Especially now they're part of the larger Asmodee (just by size and corporate-ness, not because Asmodee are Teh Evils), you can bet there's a lawyer somewhere who if they now know about it will feel obliged to do something about it. I'd take a guess that the majority of the people who actually make and support games at FFG understand the community well enough to know that this kind of thing helps sales more that it hurts, and have been deliberately turning a blind eye, but part of that deal is that you don't rub their noses in it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there not am option also on steam?
I saw 2 examples of workshops done for the game, though I have no idea how it all works using Steam (table top simulator).
I'm also looking for the best option on a mac desktop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strewth78 wrote:
Is there not am option also on steam?
I saw 2 examples of workshops done for the game, though I have no idea how it all works using Steam (table top simulator).
I'm also looking for the best option on a mac desktop.

Have you found any videos of someone using this? I could not find any youtube videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=73326...=

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=73574...=

these are 2 examples I found, but have no idea if they are still running, how they work or if its any good. I was just 'googling' for Mac options and came across them, but then got stuck with how to work Steam and wondered if anyone here had used it, before trying to figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welp, the author of that was online steam 4 hours and 25 minutes ago. I suppose you can send him a message if you have steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.