13 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Full Investigator Card Review Posted on cardgameDB rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello and happy Halloween to those who care of such things!

Just in time for our favorite excuse for Chocolate, I have managed to finish my meandering discussion of every investigator card in the base set over on the front pages of cardgamedb.com. Please come join the inaugural ball for Queen Wendy, or at least pick up spiffy party favors and things you pull that go "bang!". There is a minimum of one shoggoth per punch bowl, so please do not bring your own.

I hope you find my musings distracting or at least worth perusing. Have a pleasant 2016!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed your articles. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Gaffa wrote:
There is a minimum of one shoggoth per punch bowl, so please do not bring your own.

But this is a service shoggoth! If you take it away from me, I just might go sane!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
very nice articles. But I was wondering why you said the hand slot was so important and all...maybe im mistaken but I think you can equip 2 one-handed assets so i dont think its a problem to equip for exemple, a gun and a magnifying glass on roland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really interesting reading - thanks for putting it together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
nightwishpower wrote:
very nice articles. But I was wondering why you said the hand slot was so important and all...maybe im mistaken but I think you can equip 2 one-handed assets so i dont think its a problem to equip for exemple, a gun and a magnifying glass on roland.

But he can't have a gun and a magnifying glass and a flashlight and a tome and a backup weapon all at once. Nor, for that matter, a gun and two magnifying glasses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be a bigger deal with Wendy (the OP's favorite it seems) because he wants to give her the baseball bat which is a 2-handed weapon, leaving no room for a Flashlight, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Wendy so this was a great read for me.

I disagree that Willpower is a dump stat unless you are a spell caster in this game. Some of the worst Treacheries initiate a Willpower check, and in one particular case in the core set the Treachery remains in play until you pass the willpower check and it sucks. So Wendy's Willpower is a very welcome stat.

I agree that Baseball Bat in the core set is the way to go. Once she has Baseball Bat equipped all her stats sit right on the edge of unmodified success in most tests. That is exactly where Wendy wants to be considering her Survivor card pool and her Investigator ability to redraw from the token bag. Once she has Baseball Bat she has the ability to handle almost any situation, which makes her the best all rounder as the OP posits. Yes she can't investigate in high shroud areas since she won't have hand space for a flashlight, but in a 2+ investigator game just send Wendy to the easier investigation areas leaving the hard spots for Roland and/or Daisy. If she really needs to make those investigation checks then hold onto Lucky or "Look What I Found!". Both awesome cards.

Add: On the topic of hand slots Daisy and Roland have the hardest time. They are expected to be good investigators so Mag Lens and Flashlight are considerations, but then if they want to protect themselves they need a weapon. At the same time Tomes all have some really great effects so it would be nice to have one of those in play. The other investigators aren't as concerned about what is in their hands in my experience. I guess once Agnes has Book Of Shadows and Grotesque Statues she start to have issues since she can't have a flashlight and knife or baseball bat in play. Though if she has Book Of Shadows out she's become the Shrivelling master so she doesn't need a weapon, and she has options to circumvent investigation checks in her card pool if needs be so Flashlight isn't that critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Donohue
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Site down. Is this just temporary as was hoping to read some of the other articles I hadn't got to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to never have access to this site. I have registered, I've used the site once, and somehow I have been banned while never having posted anything.

Edit: It actually says, "Account Suspended".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chudley wrote:
I seem to never have access to this site. I have registered, I've used the site once, and somehow I have been banned while never having posted anything.

Edit: It actually says, "Account Suspended".

I'm getting the same message, I think it's the site itself that is down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably they forgot to renew the domain hosting or something like that. Hopefully it will be back online soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Seems like they paid their bills!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.