Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the Anniv edition rules are guards allowed to block locations? Is there anything in the revised rules that says you can not?

Thanks..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I glanced at the revised rules this morning and did note that there are spots on the board where guards are not allowed to finish their turn. I.e, the old blocking places. So yes there are rules against blocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jagger66 wrote:
I glanced at the revised rules this morning and did note that there are spots on the board where guards are not allowed to finish their turn. I.e, the old blocking places. So yes there are rules against blocking.
but the rules do not say you can not block, and there are still plenty of legal spaces that guards could still end their turn(s) on with the sole intention of blocking...so i guess it's "ok"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 45 ...

Guards cannot block entrances to rooms and must
not impede the movement of POWs inside the grey
prison courtyard area by remaining in doorways or
passages between turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorlab wrote:
Rule 45 ...

passages between turns.
but there is no page 45 in the rule book; you must be using the older version...in the new rule book (which we use) there is no mention of "blocking", just a ref to the spaces on the board that a guard may not end his turn on (which does cover a lot of those spaces, but not all)...so i would assume that as long as you follow the rules now blocking is fine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorlab wrote:
Rule 45 ...

passages between turns.

That is part of the "Classic" rules of the game which is presented "For those who are interested (and those for whom the fun lies in revisiting classic arguments)" it is not part of the latest rule set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
Gorlab wrote:
Rule 45 ...

passages between turns.

but there is no page 45 in the rule book; you must be using the older version...in the new rule book (which we use) there is no mention of "blocking", just a ref to the spaces on the board that a guard may not end his turn on (which does cover a lot of those spaces, but not all)...so i would assume that as long as you follow the rules now blocking is fine...

RULE 45 of the current (PDF) rulebook, not page. Classic rules.

Sadly, the new rules are lacking any clarity for those of us who have been
playing since '74, going back to the days of confusion and very open to
misinterpretation & bad game-play, ie blocking within the inner courtyard.

We'll stick with the older rules on this issue of what/where guards may
patrol, but the new board does state no stopping on "walkways", a cop-out
in my book ... Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- i still have no page 45 in the new .pdf rulebook either
- and we'll go by the "no stopping walkways" (since they take the effort to show you where the walkways actually are), but will allow "blocking" since it seems to be legal...and all a POW has to do is move into the guard to then have access to the space anyhow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

It's classic rule 45 which is on page 15 of the pdf I have

Quote:
- and we'll go by the "no stopping walkways" (since they take the effort to show you where the walkways actually are), but will allow "blocking" since it seems to be legal...and all a POW has to do is move into the guard to then have access to the space anyhow

As you say, blocking is legal in this version, the classic rules are only presented for players who want to try an alternative and are not part of the rules for this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
John_VW wrote:

It's classic rule 45 which is on page 15 of the pdf I have

Quote:

As you say, blocking is legal in this version, the classic rules are only presented for players who want to try an alternative and are not part of the rules for this version.

- ok, see it...since we're not using the old/classic rules we didn't bother looking that far back
- i think we'll continue to allow legal "blocking"; hasn't been an issue yet and it's not hard to get around anyhow

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Remembering when playing this back in the day, half the time spent was arguing over if a pawn is blocked or not (by guards or another player's pieces).

Original rules were badly written and did not correspond to what the designer intended.

I was really hoping the new edition would clear all this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think they did: it's marked where a guard can not end his/her turn, and therefore we assume anywhere is "ok"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
Remembering when playing this back in the day, half the time spent was arguing over if a pawn is blocked or not (by guards or another player's pieces).

Original rules were badly written and did not correspond to what the designer intended.

I was really hoping the new edition would clear all this up.

Yeah, we were hoping that Osprey would have addressed this main
issue on the ruleset, but placing highlighted circles at odd areas
doesn't come anywhere near the issues of blocking.

One major issue comes from PoWs being in Solitary ...

... Three guards could easily block in a shedload of PoWs. Sad attempt
by osprey at dealing with blocking ... Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Discovered by my twelve year old during our first game.

"But the POWs can sacrifice a man to clear the guard," I hear you say. Little good it does because the German can drop in a new guard only two spaces away.

If the German invests 8 Guards he can block the two longs sides of the courtyard. This denies the POWs both sources of rope, cutters, food, and documents effectively breaking the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rees
United Kingdom
Liss Forest
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
POW can also use Move Fast cards to get to locations that are blocked. Once they pick up the equipment they then go back to the middle, thus are not blocked on their way out either. If guards block the route out from solitary, then the POW player needs to keep back one of these move fast cards to get the POW past the block when they roll a double to release a POW.

While it is true that the guards can block areas, the guards cannot block everywhere - they don't have enough guards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and...i believe the rules say guards can not make arrests on POW's returning to the Appel from solitary ("without equip")...

so i would play that that when a returning (moving towards the Appel, with or without equip) POW moves into a guard that the guard returns to the Com Office and that the POW be allowed to continue moving...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
and...i believe the rules say guards can not make arrests on POW's returning to the Appel from solitary ("without equip")...

That's just when returning from the outer cells to the inner courtyard.

But yeah, the cards seem to be key to countering the guards if they try to block you (fast move, and the ones that let you remove a guard).

Once you play those cards (and possibly adapt your escape plan to suit the room you can move to for free!), any guards that are pointlessly blocking rooms you don't care about will have to get moving sharpish to stop you hopping out a window elsewhere!

Coupled with the walkways (which do still hinder blocking somewhat, short of stopping it completely), perhaps this is how the new edition is meant to play out...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may use a house rule stating that if guards are set up in a way that blocks POW movement within the inner courtyard, all guilty guards are immediately recalled to the Commandant's office at the end of the Security Officer's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Falk Hartelius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
publisher
This is Filip from Osprey Games.

As long as the Security Guard player observes the walkway rules, they may block off locations.

We found that, due to the limited number of guards, teamwork between Escape Officers, and Opportunity cards, this strategy was often useful but also risky for the Security Guard player.

That said, we recognise that our experiences aren't universal - if you find that the game balance isn't fair or fun, we recommend house ruling it to a state you find works better - it's your game, after all. Some suggestions we've seen far include:

- If the solitary passage is your main source of issue, treating the two spaces next to the walkway that connects Solitary with the inner courtyard either as (a) walkways or (b) spaces that cannot both be occupied by guards.

- Again, for the solitary passage, you can elect to release POWs straight into the appel area

- You can have a blanket rule that it cannot be so that spaces are inaccessible to POWs (ie you can block one entrance to a block of rooms, but not every entrance.

If you use any of the above, or a different house rule, make sure to agree so with all players up front, and be aware that this might tip the balance too far in favour of the Escape Officers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filip_FH wrote:
This is Filip from Osprey Games.

As long as the Security Guard player observes the walkway rules, they may block off locations.

We found that, due to the limited number of guards, teamwork between Escape Officers, and Opportunity cards, this strategy was often useful but also risky for the Security Guard player.

That said, we recognise that our experiences aren't universal - if you find that the game balance isn't fair or fun, we recommend house ruling it to a state you find works better - it's your game, after all. Some suggestions we've seen far include:

- If the solitary passage is your main source of issue, treating the two spaces next to the walkway that connects Solitary with the inner courtyard either as (a) walkways or (b) spaces that cannot both be occupied by guards.

- Again, for the solitary passage, you can elect to release POWs straight into the appel area

- You can have a blanket rule that it cannot be so that spaces are inaccessible to POWs (ie you can block one entrance to a block of rooms, but not every entrance.

If you use any of the above, or a different house rule, make sure to agree so with all players up front, and be aware that this might tip the balance too far in favour of the Escape Officers
thanks! makes sense and this is the way we'll play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
That would address the bottleneck problem with the prisoners trying to return from the outer Solitary, but being prevented from doing so by blocking guards. That's what has been contributing to players having most of their pawns out of play for the bulk of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.