Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Two questions:

1. I read somewhere that the same cylon ship type cannot be activated twice in one turn. However, I didn't see anything on the combine rules (Base+Peg+Exo). Can someone explain how this rule works in a variety of situations? I'm just thinking certain Treachery cards, abilities, locations, and Crisis cards, and the like.

2. I played a game with Cavil last night and am not sure if I was able to play him correctly. Can he use his OPG to activate say heavy raiders twice?

Thanks for your help with this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless a component specifies once per turn, it can be used over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
This is from the UFAQ on this subject:

Q: In the base game rule book it says: "Each Cylon ship can only be activated once on a given player’s turn." Doesn't that totally nerf Cavil's OPG and Pegasus' By Your Command Treachery Card?

A: (Zach, FFG, to InfoCynic) Ultimately, the meaning across the board is simply “no more than one Cylon ship activation per activation effect”. It is meant to say (in a rather confusing way) that you cannot, for instance, first activate raiders in Sector 1, moving them to Sector 2, then activate Sector 2 for the same activation icon, and move the raiders again. (thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebard8 wrote:
Hi all,

Two questions:

1. I read somewhere that the same cylon ship type cannot be activated twice in one turn. However, I didn't see anything on the combine rules (Base+Peg+Exo). Can someone explain how this rule works in a variety of situations? I'm just thinking certain Treachery cards, abilities, locations, and Crisis cards, and the like.

2. I played a game with Cavil last night and am not sure if I was able to play him correctly. Can he use his OPG to activate say heavy raiders twice?

1- was covered above

2- note that his OPG gives him 2 actions, and then his action step gives him a 3rd action. But yeah, he can super charge and sprint heavies/centurions. Many players will be wary when Cavil moves to Cylon Fleet as this could be a potential setup for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan kostov
msg tools
mbmb
ackmondual wrote:
thebard8 wrote:
Hi all,

Two questions:

1- was covered above

2- note that his OPG gives him 2 actions, and then his action step gives him a 3rd action. But yeah, he can super charge and sprint heavies/centurions. Many players will be wary when Cavil moves to Cylon Fleet as this could be a potential setup for him.

Could you elaborate a bit more?
if 1. states that no ship can be activated twice in a specific turn how come 2. Cavil can haste Heavy riders with his OPG?
I see two variants here:

a) This means he will move Heavies twice or three times in a row which does the opposite of rule 1.
b) he activates Heavies once, they go in as centurions and he activates centurions twice. This will be ok only if Centurion activation is not tied to ship activation restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a misunderstanding what "each cylon ship can be activated only once" means.

Take raiders as an example. When you activate raiders, you choose the space sectors in your preferred order and activate any raiders in that sector that have not yet activated during your "activate raiders" procedure. Each raider during this "activate raiders" procedure can only be activated once.

I.e. you cannot choose a suitable sector order to first move raiders from adjacent sectors to a sector with civilian ship(s) and then activate all cylon ships. Only the raiders that did not move get to attack.

Nor can you get a heavy raider to move two space areas and board by selecting the sectors to activate in the right order.

The clarification about each ship activating only once per ship activation of that type does not mean that during each player turn each cylon type could not activate more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dredknight wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
thebard8 wrote:
Hi all,

Two questions:

1- was covered above

Could you elaborate a bit more?
if 1. states that no ship can be activated twice in a specific turn how come 2. Cavil can haste Heavy riders with his OPG?
I see two variants here:

a) This means he will move Heavies twice or three times in a row which does the opposite of rule 1.
b) he activates Heavies once, they go in as centurions and he activates centurions twice. This will be ok only if Centurion activation is not tied to ship activation restriction.

As already previously explained, the rule really should be "no more than one Cylon ship activation per activation effect”. Let's say you draw a Crisis card with a raider activation icon. That's a single activation effect. Your board has a raider in Sector 1 (front of Galactica) and a civilian ship in Sector 4 (back of Galactica). You start activating Cylon ships beginning with Sector 1. So the raider moves to Sector 2. Now you go to Sector 2. Without the rule, you activate the raider, which moves to Sector 3. And so on until the civilian ship in Sector 4 is destroyed. With the rule, the raider in Sector 2 has already been activated by the sole activation step and therefore cannot be activated again.

Cavil's OPG involves multipe activation effects and therefore there is no conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan kostov
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for clarifying! This is how we play it but I got confused by the first answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.