Subject: Longer Coup? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've found Coup a little dissatisfying due to the shortness of each round of play. Even when you do well, you don't get a lot of turns before the round ends, and on average you're going to be eliminated from the game for half the duration of the game. It doesn't seem to be one that sails along and suddenly, once people start dying, the death rate speeds up. Instead, the deaths happen at a fairly linear rate from the beginning to the end.

Perhaps if you played a full night of Coup, you could really get into it and start to get a sense of accomplishment, but it seems like after one or two rounds, most people are ready to move onto another game.

So...are there any games that are longer and more involved than Coup, with a similar bald-faced lying mechanic? E.g., something like Shadow Throne or Smash Up level of complexity and length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Hitler is about 15-20 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Hoax (second edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that was what The Resistance was for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Howe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is great if you can play six or more players. It will play longer than Coup and is in the range of weight you're after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
I've found Coup a little dissatisfying due to the shortness of each round of play. Even when you do well, you don't get a lot of turns before the round ends, and on average you're going to be eliminated from the game for half the duration of the game. It doesn't seem to be one that sails along and suddenly, once people start dying, the death rate speeds up. Instead, the deaths happen at a fairly linear rate from the beginning to the end.

A longer game with player elimination would be horrible for the people who get eliminated early.

I don't mind dying early in Coup precisely because it is short.

The only game that comes to mind is longer than you asked for: Cosmic Encounter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
A longer game with player elimination would be horrible for the people who get eliminated early.

Yeah. Presumably, that's why they kept the duration of Coup so short.

But I was really hoping for something where lies become true. Elimination in game isn't something I was looking for, nor is traitor, social deduction, negotiation, etc.

Hoax looks like it's not sufficiently different from Coup to be what I was hoping to find. So far, nothing else seems to be hitting the right notes (though, I'm sure, all good games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to take a look at Operation F.A.U.S.T.. I haven't played it yet, but I was thinking of picking it up when looking for a similar type of game to what you are describing. Availability has been a bit spotty, but it looks like it's currently available on Amazon for a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Citadels it is a cool alternative and just spotted a 2016 reprint. Is it an omen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
Have a look at Citadels it is a cool alternative and just spotted a 2016 reprint. Is it an omen?

Citadels (2016 edition) is sort of a deluxe version, containing the expansion characters and also an additional set, so there are a lot of combinations you can try.

Not that much like Coup though. Double-think and bluffing, but little lying. ONUWW would match better.

There are quite a lot of suggestions in the sleeve depending on the number of players, the preferred playing time, and the maximum complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nickls wrote:
You might want to take a look at Operation F.A.U.S.T.. I haven't played it yet, but I was thinking of picking it up when looking for a similar type of game to what you are describing. Availability has been a bit spotty, but it looks like it's currently available on Amazon for a reasonable price.

Having played this recently, I can second this for a longer, no-elimination, bald-face lying game, if you want to play it that way. It's also possible to play it completely honest.

House of Borgia is currently at the printers after a successful kickstarter. It takes the bluffing and lying from Liar's Dice, but adds hidden identities and minor resource management.

Sheriff of Nottingham is also a game focused around lying, but it might not be long enough for what you're after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second The Resistance and Deception: Murder in Hong Kong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want pure lying, it doesn't get any better than Cockroach Poker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade is a rather clear descendant of Coup which is slightly more involved (I think there's no player elimination too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rose
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Coup: Reformation. Adds more players and a very fun team element. I feel it makes the game more I tense and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.