Hide
11 Posts

Mythos» Forums » General

Subject: Would you recommend Mythos over any other Lovecraft game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dark yeoman
msg tools
Back in the day when CCGs were immensely popular, I bought a deck or two of Mythos, but never got to play it much, as it seemed you needed more cards than I had to create a good deck, and, because new CCGs were released every month it seemed, and I did not have much money to spend, I invested it in other card games that I knew I liked.

But now, about 20 years later, I am drawn again to Mythos. I love Lovecraft, and am considering giving it another try. But I still have some reservations:

* I do not want to spend an awful lot of money on cards, and do not care to have a full set of cards. My own experience, as well as comments on these forums, suggest you do need a fair amount of cards to make a decent deck. How many would you suggest I need to make the game not just fun, but also fun to replay? Would a few starter decks and perhaps some booster packs do?

* Would you recommend starting with the first set of cards, or could you play only with Dreamlands decks? Is the latter recommended to beginners?

* A few other Lovecraftian card games have been produced since Mythos--like Call of Cthulhu or Arkham Horror. Would you recommend those over Mythos--either based on game play, or based on what I stated above?

* I am mainly interested in a game with strong solo variants/rules, as I will not have much opportunity in the near future to play with others, I think. Does that complicate what I asked above?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played any other Lovecraft-themed games so I can't comment about those.

I can say however that Mythos captures the magic of H.P. Lovecraft stories very well. I always feel immersed in a story whilst playing, rather than just pitting "my monsters versus yours".

Mythos also plays well solo. If you want to play against real people, you can also try a "Play-by-Forum" game here on BGG. I've played in at least three PBF Mythos games and each were quite fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were going to get into a card game about the Lovecract Mythos I would go for Arkham Horror: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
drmark64 wrote:
If I were going to get into a card game about the Lovecract Mythos I would go for Arkham Horror: The Card Game.

Why is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythos is fun for a bit, but lacks the depth of the new card game.

The new game uses the LCG system which means that the 'booster' packs are identical in content, collecting is much easier.

The new game has been getting great reviews. I haven't taken the plunge yet though. If I were to choose between the two, Arkham would be the way I would go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
Thanks for the clarification.

One of the reasons I'm attracted to Mythos at the moment (over some of the more recent Lovecraftian games) is the size. The fact that I'd need to carry only a deck (or two) to play makes this a very appealing option to play while traveling. That is not not the main consideration, but it is an attractive benefit of Mythos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like your travel pack would be a bit bigger with Arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Id recommend Mythos. It's good multiplayer and solo and has stood the test of time.

It's difficult to say if the new card game will turn out to be as good.
It's much more popular at the moment as it's new and has many more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:

Thanks for recommending this. I've never read about this new Arkham Horror game but it sounds pretty great for solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
Id recommend Mythos. It's good multiplayer and solo and has stood the test of time.

It's difficult to say if the new card game will turn out to be as good.
It's much more popular at the moment as it's new and has many more players.

Of course there is also the problem of getting hold of Mythos cards at a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
Thank you all for the suggestions. I've found a rather cheap Standard Game Set of Mythos online. I'll try it out, and then decide whether I still want to try out any other Lovecraftian game.

Suggestions are still very welcome, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.