Popular Tags: self-publishing [+] [View All]
David Floss
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to the complete story so far in my endeavor to create my own game from thought to production. I welcome any input or questions but I only get ot the geek every few days so do not be upset if my replies are slow.

http://www.strategygamersworld.com/tectonicbirth.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Nifty. Is there any way to download the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Now THAT was an outstanding read; very candid and illuminating. Thanks for sharing your story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Floss
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Nifty. Is there any way to download the rules?

I will have rules added to the entry here on BGG soon. In creating the game, I came up with two versions of play and the second version needs some more playtesting before release, but both sets of rules, when done, will work with the core game, kinda 2 in 1. Once is more simple and fast, great filler, the other is longer and has more complex rules for some more serious strategy gamers. I love both types of games so I wanted something that could appeal to both crowds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great read! You're not the only one out there going it alone, and it is possible to make (a small amount of) money doing it. Best of luck.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to learn more about it David!!! Always willing to support an independent game maker!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you've put in a lot of hard work. Good job!
I wish I had all that equipment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nice work!

You mention early in the article that your original artwork was from the web. Did you do all the replacement art yourself?

What does the finished game weigh? Do you package it up in any kind of box? Just thinking about international shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos on your effort. I look forward to reading a review. I love your descriptions of the odyssey of making the game from prototype to playtesting to self published version; that's the way it should be done I think. Good luck with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
A great story! The game looks very intriguing. I eagerly await news of it's availability. Put me on the list for a copy!

PS Enjoy the GG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Floss
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_lunch wrote:
Nice work!

You mention early in the article that your original artwork was from the web. Did you do all the replacement art yourself?

What does the finished game weigh? Do you package it up in any kind of box? Just thinking about international shipping

In my effort to get the game playtested fast, I took random images from the web. Once I knew the game had a possible real future, I wanted to do things right, so I added my own art for most, and got permission for one of the images from another artist so it would be all "legal".

I do not have a final weight yet. I have not chosen the final box. Some have suggested a larger box like Carcassonne, since the pieces are about the same size, but I honestly prefer to keep it small to save on shipping and costs. (at least for now since I am not trying to impress anyone and it is not a "store shelf" game anyway.)

Over the summer I want to get several copies made and will make them available at cost to the BGG folks. (Not sure on the final cost yet, but I want to get the initial price down to about $10.00 on the geek) I really want some added feedback and get the game out there to generate some buz and feedback (good and bad) to help me decide if this game goes primetime (IE, I have someone else mass produde it for me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsfloss wrote:
I do not have a final weight yet. I have not chosen the final box. Some have suggested a larger box like Carcassonne, since the pieces are about the same size, but I honestly prefer to keep it small to save on shipping and costs. (at least for now since I am not trying to impress anyone and it is not a "store shelf" game anyway.)

I'm exactly the same, small boxes are the way forward - exspecially when publishing like we do. Store shelves are a slightly different matter as there's an implied connection between size and worth, but for self-publishers small and light are the way to go.

Plus it's better for the environment :-)

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing, that was a nice write up. I really hope you your game takes off!

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsfloss wrote:
Over the summer I want to get several copies made and will make them available at cost to the BGG folks. (Not sure on the final cost yet, but I want to get the initial price down to about $10.00 on the geek)

$10?! I think you could/should add a few dollars to this price for your time and effort... unless you are just sending the copies to reviewers. Please add my name to the "interested" list. Good luck taking this project forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10 $ seems a little low, maybe a little higher like 15 bucks shipping included or somesuch?

and I have to give kudos for your TRON avatar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Hillep
Estonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can count me in too.

I'm trying to figure something up too, so Your post was like oil into the fire...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Floss
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hillep wrote:
You can count me in too.

I'm trying to figure something up too, so Your post was like oil into the fire...

That is exactly how it happened for me when I saw the other postings here about game production, what worked well for folks, etc... Saved me a ton of time and money not having to do all the experimentation myself.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. Once I have some more production runs created, I will add a new post and make them available on the geek first. You just need to promise to review it, good or bad.

Here is my thoughts on it. Of course I love the game, it's mine! So to make sure I get balanced reviews, I will sell the game at cost. You pay what it costs me to produce. Then give a review. Since the game was not free, I expect no special treatment, just take the time to play the game, go over the rules, contents, etc... and give me your honest feedback. If you folks are not very satisfied, it will give me a great looking glass into the market of folks I am trying to sell to.

I did have a chance to play the advanced rules this weekend (9 sessions total) and they worked as I had hoped, (minus a few tweaks for stability) adding some length and additioanl strategic moves to the game. Once those rules are finalized I will get them posted so everyone can check out the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Relsierk
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
A really good read. I always enjoy reading how individuals self publish their own games from start to finish. Even though from just by reading, I get full satisfaction; i cannot imagine for you, who has the finished product - must be a great joy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls