Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Preparing for a PBeM game.

What is on your table for this month?

Subscribing to the announcement list will make sure you are notified each month: Rulebooks on your Table Subscription Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Busy with:

D-Day at Peleliu

Twin Peaks

OCS for Sicily II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as the end of last month!

Brushing up on Bug-Eyed Monsters rules (its been a while!) for a game next weekend.

ASL is always being thumbed through at some level.

I am on my second or third read through of the FAB: The Bulge rules and for some reason they are not getting in! I just don't quite see what to do. As soon as I have time I will set this up and push some blocks around, read a bit, push some blocks around, etc. Not sure what it is with this series (I have read the rules to Sicily too) and have no clue how to make sense of it; when I get it set up and start pushing blocks around that may help but at the moment it is completely over my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to find out what I think of this before the 2nd in the set starts charging on the P500 so I'm going to get this on the solo table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb

on the table now.

Then I prepare for BGG Con by reviewing a few games:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, that is quite a line-up. Interested in a PBeM game of Avec Infini Regret or Strafexpedition 1916 with me? I have read the rulebook of the first one and am prepared to start reading the second one. PM me if you are interested. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Nick, that is quite a line-up. Interested in a PBeM game of Avec Infini Regret or Strafexpedition 1916 with me? I have read the rulebook of the first one and am prepared to start reading the second one. PM me if you are interested. Cheers!

Hi Lawrence, sure that'd be good. I enjoy reading rules, which is why there are so many! I'm hoping to get started on either of those later this month so I will let you know. Did you want to use Vassal? If so I need to fix it as it stopped working when I upgraded my Mac OS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting with:

and then:

and maybe a little:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four rulebooks:

I've played through two tutorial scenarios so far: T1 and T2, and am about to start T3. Nice game! Really nice game! And, fantastic production quality! For player aids and quality no one surpasses GMT -- except, the maps for Ardennes '44 and Normandy '44 are too thin.

I've played one scenario so far, the one-mapper Tip of the Spear. My next goal is the one-mapper Kampfgruppe Peiper. So, having already played a scenario, why, before proceeding to another, would the rulebook be on my table? Are you kidding me? You think one mistake-ridden scenario is sufficient to grok this highly innovative system?

Why one-mappers? I'm limited to one-map games, unfortunately. Eventually I'll play the full campaign on VASSAL.

The long-standing debate on this game has been "Sell or Save?". The rules scream "Sell!". The map and production quality, which includes player aids and the care which has gone into the scenario book, shouts "Save!". I wish MMP could put such care into its otherwise good games. I may have found a solution to the rulebook issue (see below). My first intended scenario with this game is the three-hour one-mapper tournament-level "To Save Bastogne".

Play of this game is long overdue. I plan to play as many one-map scenarios as I can, and then switch to VASSAL for the campaign game. After getting one or two one-map scenarios under my belt I would like to see if I could use The Battle for Normandy rules, or a subset thereof incorporated into a blend, for Wacht Am Rhein. I just don't know how my wade through the WaR rules will work, and it would be a waste to abandon such a well-produced game if I could use a simpler rule set. And, my intuition tells me that it could make for a more enjoyably playable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Prepping for a game of Washington's War in two weeks. Really looking forward to this one. My gaming partner and I have been watching "Turn" and we're both raring to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Working my way through

Some interesting ideas in the rules so curious to see how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Estrada
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattusilis_III wrote:

Impressive. I'm lucky to keep 1 set of rules in my head at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that difficult to have 10 books on the table at the same time when you are playing 10 different games in asynchronous manner.

Here is my line up:

I flip through the rules to where I need to proceed the game. That way, I can learn the game gradually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first part of the month I'm going back in time a bit to try three micro-games that I've recently purchased or reacquired.

Only 8 pages of rules, but the movement section is one of the densest pages I've come across in gaming! I'm sure I'll figure it out and it looks to be a rather unique space combat game.

This one doesn't look too bad and I'm very interested in trying it out. There's not a lot of ancient naval games and the ones I've tried have definitely lacked the "fun" factor, but this looks promising.

An economics course packed into a Metagaming sized box! This one I may not get around to actually playing. The number of files here on BGG to be printed out for a game already indicates that it's a paperwork intensive version of Merchants of Venus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Still slowly working through this one. I keep getting distracted by other games & life. At least some of the concepts are penetrating with all the time to stew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading Putin Strikes: The Coming War for Eastern Europe rules ;the rules seems clean and straight forward; looking forward to putting this "Badboy" on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Pinosio
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hedererp wrote:
Prepping for a game of Washington's War in two weeks. Really looking forward to this one. My gaming partner and I have been watching "Turn" and we're both raring to go!

Remember LTC Simcoe was the inspiration for the design and an event card. I think his portrayal in the show is probably reasonable given what he wrote in his memoir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

on the table now.
I hope you'll report back on which game you play (or all 3?) and how it went. I've got this game, taken it out many times, and just never get anywhere with it. The payoff of even the Kobayashi Maru seems not worth the effort to learn the rules. Please prove me wrong! I don't like having games I've never played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Space Empires: 4X for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here it is. Recently picked up Tunisia and Reluctant Enemies and I'm now drafting the letter to my bank manager in which I am trying to explain the situation with regards to the other titles in the series.

The fact that I have taken the trouble to spiral-bind a copy of the 4.1 rules (rather than the more recent 4.2 rules) will evidence the fact that I am a bit of a novice. Still, I've read the rules cover-to-cover two times now and I've also reread certain sections many more times over while trying to comprehend some of the excellent AARs that I've found. I reckon I'm just about there now.

I'm really looking forward to getting started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrodrick wrote:
I want to find out what I think of this before the 2nd in the set starts charging on the P500 so I'm going to get this on the solo table.

Exactly what I did last weekend and I loved the first solo scenario. I do feel like I need to play more in order to decide whether I should get the 2nd game in the series. A mounted map would be nice be do I really need all those new planes when I doubt I'll ever get to play all the battles in the first game? I wonder...

Nevertheless, I am rereading the rules because it's amazing what one catches after having played a game once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

I am trying to get War of the Ring (Second Edition) learned as I have had it for quite a while and it has a great reputation amongst wargamers and Ameri-trashers. I have recently learned and played Star Wars: Rebellion and I think I read somewhere here on the Geek that WoTR and Rebellion had a similar feel and I have enjoyed each play through of Rebellion so far and that is what lit the fire under me to get WoTR learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.