Subject: colouring wooden cubes and meeples rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all

I had a quick question. I have a bunch of standard wooden cubes and meeples that I want to use as replacements in another game. The problem is that the colour of cubes and meeples I have for this purpose are natural. I need colours like red, green, blue, yellow, etc.

I tried painting a couple so far and I should have thought of this initially, but after painting them you don't see the grain at all. This made me wonder how these kinds of things are coloured during manufacturing and if it was something I can replicate.

I won't be upset if I have to paint everything a solid colour to match. I don't mind the look. This is more curiousity now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
You may be interested in the Rit Dye experiment thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use india ink to dye all my wooden components for print and plays. It gives a bright vivid color, allows the grain to shine through, soaks in and dries almost immediately, and is really affordable (I've used the same small jars of dye for several games and am just now starting to get a little bit low).

Also, I've had good results mixing colors to get different hues and colors. Whether it be mixing blue and red to get purple, or just adding the tiniest bit of red to yellow to subtly change the yellow to match colors on a board etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that dyes and inks will only work if by "natural" you mean "unfinished". Several board-game-part suppliers use "natural" to refer to pieces which are uncoloured, but are still varnished to protect the wood and prevent it absorbing grease from players' fingers, liquid from spilled drinks etc. which would discolour the wood.

If your pieces have this varnish then they won't take dye or ink unless you sand them down completely, which is a time-consuming process that's difficult to get completely right. It's much easier if your pieces are varnished to paint them with an appropriate spray-on primer and then paint them the colour you need with enamel spray paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these may have a finish on them. I guess ill have to paint them instead. No way am i going to sand down all these cubes

The ink/dye method sounds interesting. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, I used Sharpies to do this! Do a test on a pice you don't mind losing to see if it satisfies you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started painting now. I wish i had used sharpies instead! Less work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular sharpies are much like dye or inks - because they are ink. They work well on unfinished wood, but if drawn over varnish will rub off over time and leave ink all over the fingers of the people handling the pieces. Especially if they fiddle with their game bits.

On the other hand, several manufacturers - sharpie included - make paint pens which work OK. It's still best to lightly sand the surfaces to give the paint something to stick to, and some brands are better than others, but they're a viable option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.