Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the concept behind Shift, but I do have a few issues with the game. Seems like we won't get any more expansions/cards sadly. Is there any other microgames that are similar to this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

If you want all of the info on one card, then it is hard to go past Button Men by Cheapass games. You can get the rules and files free from their website, or show your support by buying physical cards off Drive Thru Cards. It is amazing how different each fighter feels by only adjusting their available dice. The game has important decisions to make each turn, especially the muscle characters that have big dice. They can roll big on d20, which you want to keep for points. But you might be forced to use that big die to attack and risk rolling low on the re-roll. Good stuff.

I think you know Dragon Punch by Lvl99Games and Koen Hendrix.

Brawl by Cheapass games has a few more cards, but is still really light and real time. It is one of my favourite games ever. I love how you lose yourself until the game is over. It only goes for 30-60 seconds, but you feel every hit and block as they happen. Has to be played to be understood. Also has top notch art.

Flash Duel by Sirlin Games comes in a normal box, but inside it comes with a smaller card box to become a portable edition. The board is replaced with cards and you can use a coin for the character pieces. Because there is no life tracking it makes it really easy to play, especially in small areas such as on a plane trip (though just barely). It also has solo rules so you can solo with it. This gets missed a lot and is one of the reasons it is my all time favourite.

Here is a really left field suggestion - there is an RPG called Musha Shugyo by Acchiappasogni. It is inspired by the Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist fan movie and character creation fits on a book mark. The reason is that there are rules for solo play where you keep a diary for your character who is on their warrior journey. You end each chapter with a fight and use your bookmark/character sheet to mark the page. The rules are minimal but it is a story telling tool and can be surprisingly fun. Especially when you lose, sometimes it is more dramatic writing about how you handle loss than victories. You can get the PDF for cheap on Drive Thru RPG.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
If you want all of the info on one card, then it is hard to go past Button Men by Cheapass games.

I am eagerly awaiting the Button Men reboot/relaunch. I don't have all the dices (or enough... or the right ones for the odd dices).

Quote:
I think you know Dragon Punch by Lvl99Games and Koen Hendrix.

I have this one, and surprisingly I didn't like it that much...

Quote:
Brawl by Cheapass games has a few more cards, but is still really light and real time.

I have this game. It's great fun. Doesn't quit scratch the same itch as Shift.

Quote:
Flash Duel by Sirlin Games comes in a normal box, but inside it comes with a smaller card box to become a portable edition.

I wasn't a fan of this one.

Quote:
Here is a really left field suggestion - there is an RPG called Musha Shugyo by Acchiappasogni.

I am checking this out! I'm not sure about the RPG part but it looks like this game could be almost converted to a pretty simple microgame. Thanks for pointing this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.