Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Thompson
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may just be missing something, but I cant figure out why there's a battle matrix on the actual character/hero cards.

The rules state that the battle matrix on cards is to acquire them from the rings, but the character cards don't apply - they are not aquired. You obviously don't add your character matrix values to your cards in hand in order to defeat encounter cards, because it would be much to easy to acquire cards.

Are they perhaps a mechanism to attack other players in the game? The rules and videos have no mention of interactions between players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Baumgarten
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doccabet wrote:
I may just be missing something, but I cant figure out why there's a battle matrix on the actual character/hero cards.

The rules state that the battle matrix on cards is to acquire them from the rings, but the character cards don't apply - they are not aquired. You obviously don't add your character matrix values to your cards in hand in order to defeat encounter cards, because it would be much to easy to acquire cards.

Are they perhaps a mechanism to attack other players in the game? The rules and videos have no mention of interactions between players.

I believe it's just to show the total value of the character's starting cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Scanlan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The Battle Matrix on the Hero cards simply represents their numerical starting ability level (their starting deck total value) so you can compare their starting deck strengths/balance when choosing heroes. It is generally not used during gameplay unless a card specifically states otherwise.

Referencing your own Hero card's battle matrix is only necessary when facing one particular final Spire card challenge. Referencing another player's Hero card battle matrix is used if playing with the "Mad-Heroes-become-Foes" (Madness Reigns) advanced gameplay option (when the Hero goes mad they are shuffled into the Foe deck). But generally it is not referenced during gameplay other than helping a player compare starting deck balance while choosing which Hero to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ross
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also couldn't work out at first why there were tools, blades etc listed to the left of the battle matrix. But that just lists the titles of the starting cards for that character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.